Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who drives there straight axle cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by stlrider, Oct 13, 2009.

1. stlrider

stlrider

I mean really drives for hours on the highway, to work or around town. I really dig the look but everyone says it will beat me to death if I turn my Fairlane into a straight axle car. The majority says leave it lowered and low key but build a hot motor for it.

Just lookin for answers from guys who know. Not everyone that assumes.

2. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Eventhough i'm used to driving twitchy cars on the road, i've never driven a gasser. I've thought of building one for daily driver duty. I'm used to the pain but am interested in the answers you get from "guys in the know".

I'm sure that it's like anything else... if it's setup right, it's probably not so bad.

-Chris

3. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

build your car the way you dream it....jmo..
    i've never asked anyone ..i just do it and make tweaks along the way to suit me.

4. truckjunky24

truckjunky24

man build what you want!! if you dont like the way it drives , work on some more!! i like mine!! i work on it every week too make it better.

5. Verminator

Verminator

I Drive mine!!! Drove this all over this summer. For sale now $6500. Have a 57 Fairlane with axle and a 66 Country Sedan Wagon with axle under construction. Hell, even my econoline's got econoline axles under them!!! My 63 Ranchero's getting the Axle over the winter...

Attached Files:

6. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Whatcha got under the hood of that Falcooon? Bitchin' ride.

-Chris

7. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

How many Jeeps, or 3/4 ton 4x4's with solid front axles do you see on the road, that people have put hundreds of thousands of miles on, they drive them right to the bone yard....I've done it with my Jeep, had it for 8 years, 256 000Km's on it, and I still drive it everywhere.... My '31 Chevy also has a straight axle in it, don't believe everything you read, just build it and drive it....

8. brandon

brandon

used to drive mine all over .... it rode and drove better than the model a coupe i got in trade or the current coupe i have now. build it right , and you'll enjoy the ride. :D

9. Weasel

Weasel

I drive this regularly - I'm used to it and it's a blast.... and yes it's a straight axle, which was the original question - not just a solid axle.

[​IMG]

10. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

I was sorta thinking that myself. Having a few 4x4s myself with solid front axles I never thought any of them drove real bad. I had two 2wd pickups with solid axles, the one (a 63 Ford F-100) I used as my only transportation for about half a year and never thought it handled bad at all. Also had a 51 GMC, handled fine too. Wouldn't have a problem driving a beam axle under a car everyday either.

11. Verminator

Verminator

Thanks !!!! 302/C-4 cam, weiand, edelbrock carb, headers, unilte fun ride with 10''steering wheel and no P/S !!!

12. squirrel

squirrel

There's no reason you can't drive it daily if you build it right.

13. ratster

ratster

i've been driving mine forever. bout 100k on it. drives great

14. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Whats the difference? educate me...they both are solide...straight...use leaf springs and link steering....:confused:

15. squirrel

squirrel

straight is not dropped, so the nose of the car sits way up.

16. zombiesarebad

zombiesarebad
    from Maine

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  17. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Well my Jeep has a solid axle, not dropped, but straight....floor boards are 39 5/8" off the grownd with 38" boggers... I dunno, seems like they're the same to me...

18. squirrel

squirrel

my 87 suburban 4x has a straight axle in it, but it's also kind of off topic :)

19. Solid axle is a beam as on almost all Fords until 1949 (first independent). From the model A I think on there was a drop at the ends that raised up the spindle and lowered the car. A straight axle is just that straight with no drop. Most if not all are tubes not beams.

Econolines and 2wd pick ups with out independants have beam axles, looks like an "I" shape, but I have not seen one that is straight. Since the 20's they have had a drop at the ends.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  20. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

An I beam axle has 2 spindles, they turn independently.....also like my 4x4 Jeep, it has an open diff, so the wheels turn independently also...I don't know what your trying to say here.. <!-- / message -->

21. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

I don't have too many miles on my '60 F100 yet, but for ride quality, I would rather drive that than my 2006 Silverado (which obviously has IFS).

22. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

anyways this thread is going nowhere.....

23. solid

solid

I drive mine everywhere. Drove home in a big snow storm from cavalcade of customs cincy, and drove it to indy goodguys this year, no problems. Been on the road for almost 5 years. Steers straight, no shakin, or wobbles...my buddies 57 chev is the same way. Dont listen to all the bullshit. They can be built to drive right. WEASEL, YOUR CAR IS A BADASS MEAN LOOKIN MOTHER...

Attached Files:

24. This is mine I drive around the big island 3 times a month ,two lane roads some good some bad,some straight some twisty. The motor is set back about 9". It has manual steering but still has the original wheel You have to drive it but it goes nice and straight, rides good also . While it is not really built to be a road car it sure is a lot of fun.Forgot to mention this is a 225 mile trip costs about 75$.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  25. stlrider

stlrider

Thanks guys. I just keep having this vision of the car sittin up there and lookin mean early 60s style with a built 302 and 5spd. All the shows I hit are hours away so I need it to be drivable. Ever since I saw the Culbertsons built 55 chev that was it.

26. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Drive mine every week. Cars been to Paso and Bakersfield, no problems. It rides nicer than my '31 Coupe.

27. I drove my '56 gasser around town a ton as well as a few 500 mile round trips and a 900 mile round trip with no problems. Just make sure you have at least 6-10 degrees of negative caster (axle tilted backwards), use cross steer, and have the pitman arm as close to straight and parallel to the front axle and yoy should be fine. A Sol-Cal steering stabilizer doesn't hurt either.

28. I drive mine every where. I cant believe the guys that I tell em that I drove it to an event, then they ask, do you drive it? WTF? I love driving it on the highway at speed, but in town (bad roads) it can be a little rough. Have had a lot of guys say they wouldnt believe I drive it but I passed them going down the highway, so now they are believers. Do it, put that straight axle under it. AND drive it.;)

29. chickenwire

chickenwire
    from New Jersey

I know a few guys running straight axles, they drive them everywhere and for years! If you set it up right, you'll be able to drive the crap out of it

30. Having a straight axle car and not driving it is like living with Pam Anderson and making her sleep in the guest room!!!!!