Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects BBQ to Welding station

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dolmetsch, Oct 12, 2009.

1. I had an old Kenmore BBQ here by the house. It has long since passed use.
    It was out of sight so it was no big deal but I had to move it today to put wood in the wood room. I had a light bulb moment and an hour later with no $ spent I had my Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC welder mounted underneath facing the open side and with two pieces of angle iron my Chicago Electric Dual mig mounted sideways up above. I now have a small table for each welders stuff, places to wind both sets of cables and still can reach the Miller top crank easy as well as access the mig spool without bending down over "the bubble". I can move it anywhere in the shop I have power and it moves easily. It also carries everything I need and even has a helmut hook that used to be the holder for the propane tank.
    It works so well it almost sacred me. I didnt realize I was so Green.

2. this thread is useless without pictures!

3. Thank you for your enlightenment. I dont think there is any interest so i wont bother.
    I will just enjoy my new welding station content in the thought that I and I alone have one.
    Don

4. Here in the South a "good old boy" is someone who can make or fix something "just good enough" with "no money spent." Sounds like you qualify, even if you are further North than the Yankees.

5. We have lots of Good ol boys here too. Nobody tighter with the $ than a Canadian. We taught the Scotch how to save.
    We was throwed outta the USA before most of the current families came. (1784)
    Don

6. PeeVee

PeeVee

I made a welding cart for my mig out of a old bbq 2. The tray for the tongs works good to hold extra wire and a wire brush.

7. RichG

RichG

A pic would be nice:D

8. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

C'mon, show us a couple pics of this monstrosity.

Did you leave it all classy-like with hot dog grease still on it???

I would have.

-Chris

9. Ok I took a couple this morning. After using it all day we discovered it is even more useful that I would have thought. The ends even function as a quick weld table for small projects (shifter mount today)
    The mig is much easier to service and the hose is on the average straighter. It goes where ever i want . Everything is up off the floor. I am very pleased with it as is my pal who also used it today. The old busted BBQ part is just visable one the RH side of the one picture at the corner of the garage.
    Don

Attached Files:

10. I also built a bolt on L bracket for the mig hose after i took this picture . It was always flopping in its gromet as you can see in the pic. Now it goes nowhere. Yes there is still room for a small mig gas bottle on the back of the mig as it has a spot for. I use mostly NR211 Lincoln flux wire as it is relatively clean and works very well for what I use it for.
    Don

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  11. the shadow

the shadow

did it have a side burner? if so you could have left that intact then if you were hungry while welding you could cook some soup or have a pot of hot dogs and krout steaming away.....Mmmmmhot dogs!:rolleyes:

12. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Get out eeeehhh, that was our idea eeehhh.

[​IMG]

13. It would be "Take off eh, you hoser!"
    No, I dont have a side burner because I am always hungry and so wouldnt get any work done.
    Don

14. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Is it bad that I just scoured craiglist for a freebie busted ass grill?

This idea works! The fact that it's super classy is a plus too, "eeeeeh". lol

15. BinderRod

BinderRod

I made a BBQ out of a busted welding cart.
    We should have just traded:eek:

16. RichG

RichG

Lmao!:p

17. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

I take offence to that eh? No no but seriously we don't all say EH!
    That would be like saying you all say Y'ALL!

18. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Actually, everyone down here does say ya'll, eeeh?

19. Verrrrry frrrrugal but they'rrre canny SCOTS! SCOTCH is what ye drink! ;) Nice cart!:cool:

20. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Every Kanukastanni I have had dealings with says it and yeah we all say Y'all. :D

21. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Great idea!

The best thing I ever did to my welding cart from hell was to add a medium size vise to it .

22. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I have you all beat!!
    Ha ha ha ha,,
    I used part of an old shopping cart!

Attached Files:

23. My welding cart is an old baby formula rack. seriously.

24. First thanks for all the other carts pics. great stuff.
    I suppose you are right I should have said Scots but my heritage would call them Schottisch so you will have to forgive me.
    We say "eh" and it is not eeeeh but simply eh )like the letter "A" about 1000 times a day. Sometimes we use it to make sure you are listening when I am talking. Sometimes it is a quick substitute for "What?" Sometimes it means "Right?" like, Do you agree? And it doesnt bother us that others dont say it. Nor does it bother us if they find it amusing. We are proud Canadians! But we are very quiet about it. We have howwever contribted a lot to the world , even hot rodding. Stu Hilborn was from Orillia, Ontario. Walter Chrysler was probably concieved there and Thomas Edison was also conceived in Canada (but not Orillia) but arrived in the USA just in time to pop out there. We also gave Dale Armstrong (Top Top fuel wrench), Frank Hawley (Gainsville ) Many of your NASA guys came from Canada after we quit making the Avro Arrow because it was frightening our southern neighbours. We love to hear Y'all but sometimes we say that too (although it would sound more like YU'all) if it fits.
    We DO NOT BTW live in Igloos. Very few of us outside Quebec province (state) speak French . We speak English. Most of us have played Hockey. We are not that different from our Sourthern neighbours but we are different. Mostly quieter. We live sort of by the creed Walk softly but carry a big stick. Oh yes and contrary to popular US opinion we are not disarmed as you may have been told. Many of us including me have a cabinet full of guns.
    Don
    And when we get sick it is paid for!

25. southpark

southpark
    BANNED

the wood sides are probably not the best welding tables

26. Y'er right. I thought they would burn but Vern was welding a shifter bracket on them and they never even smoked. Probably too wet from sitting outside for 20 years. I will someday build at least one steel one by the mig since that is where we seem to need it.
    Don

27. banjorear

banjorear

I was thinking the same thing. Talk about multitasking.

Now all you need to do is find a double dutch door fridge. Top for the beer and convert the bottom to a toilet and you'd never have to leave the garage.

NICE!

28. budd

budd

do you have fire insurance?..lol

29. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

your a red neck if

30. Kustm52

Kustm52

Here's what a red neck builds one out of.. an old printer cart that I got at the local thrift store for a few dollars..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]