Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. iamflagman

iamflagman

I just found the time to look through the excellent photos from this years Darlington Historic Racing Festival, where I spotted the Super Modified that is one of the cars owned by Rich Hoffman and that I got a chance to drive again this year. That's me partially seen in the background in the white tee shirt and red hat. Unfortunately we are all standing in front of the CAE Sprint car that is also owned by Rich and that I talk about later in this post.

[​IMG]

This car is known as the MICHELLE SPECIAL and here are some more photos and a description.

[​IMG]

Here I am in the car that is a blast to drive, heading onto the track at Darlington, a very unique street legal car. Cick on the picture to see last years video in the car.

[​IMG]

Here it is in it's original configuration before Rich restored the car.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

During the restoration
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:(:mad:Now for the sad part it was only a few weeks ago that we were at Darlington Raceway for the 2009 Darlington Historic Racing Festival, where Rich Hoffman had been competing in this car and just a couple of days ago Rich and I had talked about how much fun we had, I got to drive his Super Modified and now this happens, what a big letdown it has been, so if anybody comes up with any information please give Rich a call. If you frequent any gearhead type forums please repost this on there for Rich.

[​IMG]

This 1966 Culbert Automotive Engineering (CAE) Sprint Car and enclosed trailer was stolen from the locked fenced in yard at Import Specialties 2100 Rosewood Dr. Columbia, SC the evening of October 8, 2009. The race car and equipment was stored inside of a also stolen 2007 LA CARGO "FREEDOM" 7x16 foot Enclosed Trailer, Serial #5TTBE16277D001946, white in color, equipped with tandem axles, a walk in door on the curb side and a ramp/door on the back, it may have some damage on the right side . THERE IS A REWARD. Contact Rich Hoffman at 803-799-2686, 803-799-4401, 803-467-8086

[​IMG]

Rich leads here at Darlington last year
    [​IMG]

Here are some photos of the car with unknown origins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Photos during the restoration
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This car could be anywhere right now so please let Rich know if you have any information about it, he would like to return to Darlington in it again next year.

2. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

Unfortunately many of the people who steal these enclosed trailers don't know what's inside. If they open it and find it's something they cannot use it usually gets cut up:(

3. Hutcho

Hutcho

I think your name racer 5c is Robin(I hope) I would be delighted to tell the storey of the USA #78 midget or commonly called speedcars here in OZ.

Larry Rice(R.I.P.) in the early 70's met up with 3 US pilots(I have their names) who formed Aviator Racing & Larry drove various cars for them.Larry bought into the #78 deal which opened the door to take this midget on tour to New Zealand where he had great success winning the 30 lap "World Derby" in a blanket finish at Western Springs Stadium 1977". Larry started last car & lead from lap 6. Larry narrowly missed winning the 50 lapper,he lead for 49 laps then passed by Sleepy Tripp.

The #78 midget is a LTC with a 2300cc Scat.This car has been owned & raced by 5 NZers & has been totally restored to its glory days as raced by Larry.

I intend to show the car once I have all the necessary info Im chasing including Larrys racesuit & helmet(Robbie has the helmet & Im waiting for some pics).Larry was a very likeable guy here & in NZ with many friends.I intend to dedicate this part of midget racing to the memory of Larry.The car was know as the 'Gatorade Special" with Perfection Meats (NZ) main sponsor.

I'll try to get someome to post some pics for me,or can you please email me. [email protected]

Yes I attended many nights at the Sydney showground,raced a go kart there once.
    I raced TQ's & midgets at Liverpool & the newer Parramatta.As a young boy attended the old Parramatta Track called Cumberland Speedway when Sir Jack Brabham run a midget.Dont remember seeing Rich Vogler but witnessed the visits of Rutherford,Foyt,
    Tattersall,Rice,Kenyon,Tripp all great drivers,great memories....thanks Ron

BTW we have rice a ricco (reeco) downunder.

Attached Files:

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      2.2 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      2.3 KB
      Views:
    • 9.jpg
      9.jpg
      File size:
      23.1 KB
      Views:
    • ron.JPG
      ron.JPG
      File size:
      110.2 KB
      Views:
  4. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Nazaruk crash - Horne

[​IMG]

5. CTtoPA

CTtoPA

What happened to the Nyquist/Pfrommer Offy? That's the car that Nazaruk was killed in right? And Wally Campbell?

6. LittleFauss

LittleFauss

'Hutcho, 'It is really great to have you on here and chime in with your beautiful restoration of the LTC. Roy's (racer5c) uncle, L.T. (Red) Caruthers is the man who invented the concept, and then designed and built the very first Volkswagen midgets that debuted in February of 1973. 'Even the lettering on the car is unique to the ultra-talented sign painter and artist, Paul Knierim. Paul lettered all the cars for Roy's Dad, Doug, J.C. Agajanian and the Agajanian-Faas Racers as well as every other famous midget, sprint car and Indy car owner in Southern California. The LTC is still one of my favorite cars of all time and another guy that could attest to that would be Sleepy Tripp. He won his two USAC National Midget Championships with an LTC, as well as his USRC championship the year before.

7. baldtireman

baldtireman

I think that Jack Brabham got his early racing education in "speedcars"(politically correct term for "midgets")!! You guys might remember him as the fellow who brought the rear engine revolution to Indy,in 1961, or as the former World Champion formula I racer,In a Cooper-Climax, or as the man whose name was on the chassis that got copied to allow "Mario" to win Indy in 1969!-The "Brawner Hawk" was a Brabham copy. Anybody remember the designer/engineer's name? John S. p.s.Which "Vargo Sprinter"is being restored. My ex-employee's brother lost his life in the Vargo champ car .

8. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Ron Tauranac was Brabham's designer in those days...... but I'm sure Clint took credit for the design.;)

9. Hutcho

Hutcho

Thank you LittleFauss for the info the # on my car is a satin chome type leaf not a paint.it was done by a guy in NZ.

Im trying to identify the red & white decal on the side panel under the Gatorade Racing1.It looks the tail of a plane,maybe aviator racing decal?
    Can someone else help me?

Attached Files:

10. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

Hutcho
    One guy in your pic sorta looks like a guy named Rex that helped Sleepy in the early 80's. Did you know him ?

11. Hutcho

Hutcho

Speaking of Sir Jack Brabham, recently our ABC TV had a remarkable story on him called "When We Were Racers " heres the link,enjoy its a great story
    www.abc.net.au/austory/specials/whenwereracers/default.htm

You could be right Jim a guy in NZ told me someone from US in the pic toured with Larry.

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome IAMFLAGMAN, sorry to hear about the stolen car.. With any luck, it'll turn up in a back alley, discarded cause they just wanted the trailer and tools.

We'll keep an eye out.

J Shaw

13. Hutcho

Hutcho

Sorry to read that some low life has stolen your car,I wish you good for a speedy return,cheers Ron Hutchinson

14. racer5c

racer5c

15. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

The Nyquist/Pfrommer sprint car was sold the end of the 1962 season to Ron Lux. He removed the offy, stuck a chevy in it, and the car looked pretty butchered up in 1963 when last I saw it. Don't know anything more.

In 1961 Pfrommer had the rear leaf spring suspension replaced with torsion bars. I think AJ Watson did the work. This is the configuration Don Davis drove it in.

16. Hutcho

Hutcho

Roy I believe the guy on the left was one of the pilots & part owner Bill O'Connor who flew DC3's out of Philadelephia lived in Chicargo.Then (L to R) Phil Richards,person unknown,Willie Kay NZ crew chief 1977 /78
    Aviator racing also consisted of Joe....? flew 767's.Barney....? check pilot/senior instructor.Maybe Greg Seashore?...I think Aviator racing is still operating with 1 shareholder...Ron

17. Rich,

We'll be watching up this way for anything relating to your car, trailer and equipment.

Ya' think they knew what was inside the trailer?

Contact the boys in the NVRA and other clubs. But we don't have any racers in your area that I'm aware of.

I'll watch the racer auctions for any sprint car related parts.

Need to nail those fu*kers.

Frank

18. racer5c

racer5c

Bill O'Connor thats it! I also new Greg Seashore didn't know any of the other owners

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

W/G-1963
    Cotton Farmer runs over J.R. and gets on his skid lid, but escapes uninjured.

Attached Files:

20. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie,
    JR was a real pleague that day, he spun three times in front of everybody. Cotton had no place to go. Luckily, the fuel didn't ignite, you can see the puddle.

In picture #4 the man on the far right is my dad.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Was he on the cars crew? Is that the Sacks 18 that Mario got his first USAC ride in, later on ?

22. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I'm never going to hear the end of the abuse on this one. I know and helped him for years (O'Connor)...never saw a younger pic of him. But I still say he looks like Rex from Au that helped Tripp... in my defense. Bill still has a couple cars, but hasnt raced since his Airline pension got cut back. He had a Stapp champ dirt car that is a planter now after Drake killed it at the 4-crown a few years ago. In fact it was the same car that was in a film here several pages back. Tony Stewart drove over Pankratz in it for his first win. Aviators #50. He still has a Beast and a pavement car unless he sold them in the last couple months.
    He also owned the LeFevre car that Rice raced in the 70's. Bill parked and later sold it to someone who restored it. I have seen a restored pic, maybe even here, so I know it is finished.

23. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Wow, look how that roll bar collapsed around his neck area. I heard of a vintage racer who was involved in a crash and the very same thing happened, almost killing him. It makes a very strong statement for those ugly-ish cages.

Im glad for the six point cage on my drag car.

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

"For Decorative Purposes Only";) Kinda like a big ol mouse trap actually.

25. Rootsgroup

Rootsgroup
    from Indiana

You gave me a good excuse to buy an sd card for my phone. Gott'er on the 'puter now...

Attached Files:

26. The Tuffy's #25 is owned by Freddy and Caroline Johns from northern Indiana. The Winchester Old Timers was it's debut. They also own one of the original Offy Midget roadsters. Very nice people. Caroline is the widow of Gene Hartley, a tough and successful open wheel driver from the 40s and 50s.
    HG :cool:

27. Sumar Re-creation answers,

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Weaverville Studios [​IMG]
    Can anyone shed a little light on this one? It appears to be a fantastic Sumar Special replica as I believe the original has been restored and lives in a museum in Florida. If the original exists in Florida, who's is this one and what are the plans for it? Anyone?

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>Place called "HAMMER ART" in Indy, on the old Gasoline Alley is doing it. Your right in both regards. It's a REPLICA of the Sumar Special.. and YES the original is in a museum in Daytona...

As I understand it, the original suffered some "lift" problems at Indy.. mainly due to misplaced air vents in the fenders that caught the wind and directed it Downward behind the tires, creating "Lift" At one point I believe they tried running it WITH OUT the fenders (like the picture above) just to make the show..
    Anyways, the fender vents were "fixed" and the entire cockpit was in closed (or changed) to help streamline it.. They painted it red (I think) and ran it on the Daytona beach in Land-Speed trials.. That is why it is in a museum in florida, it is in there for that.. NOT Indy fame.

So... Denny (I think is his name) at HAmmer art decided to build a replica of the INDY style Sumar spl. and he is doing a PHENOMINAL job at it!!

Now! That being said, I'm sure I left a lot out, and Roy and Harley Gene will have a lot more to add.. or correct! ha ha!! :p

Only contribution I've been lucky enough to have in the build is calling him and telling him that there were only a couple sets of INDY SPEEDWAY tires left at Coker, HURRY UP AND CALL NOW! :D <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

The Sumar Streamliner did make the 1955 Indy 500. Daywalt had the streamlining part of the car taken off. It did not have the bubble on it when it ran in the race. The car finished a respectable 9th place in '55 the only year it ran at Indy. Later Marshal Teague was killed in it at Daytona. I'm not aware that it was ever red???
    The car is restored as it ran at Daytona with a bigger roll bar on it then. It is in the museum in Daytona. Denny Jamison and Tevis Bush are the main fabricators on the re-creation located in the old Gasoline Alley shops. One can drop by and visit and see the car in it's current state. Call: 317.698.0570, cameras welcome.
    HG :cool:

<!-- / sig --><!-- edit note -->

28. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, yes that is the Sachs sprinter, now with a chevey in it. The next race at Langhorne, Cotton was second fast time with a lap at 110 mpb . And yes Mario's first sprinter in USAC.

No my dad did corner work for the USAC shows. Through the CFFC and some other real race fans like Jay Miller of York Pa, they improved safety, little by todays standards, but light years from what they were doing. Like asbestos gloves for first responders to be able to pull drivers from the car, an observer on the roof of the grandstands to blow an airhorn to tell the starter that an accident had happened, and throw the yellow. Dust was so bad in that timeframe that it is amazing more secondary
    accidents didn't happen with cars spun out etc.

He had sold his midget at season end 1962.

29. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Thanks Jim, here's a shot of him at Langhorne racing McCluskey. Damn good thing that the fuel didn't light off at W/G or he might have suffered the same fate as poor old Bobby Marvin did there.

Attached Files:

30. Rootsgroup, Thank you very much. In the same vein, I saw the Tuffy dirt champ car from 1949-50 @ Jennerstown Offy Show '07.
    mlight9.