Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hunnert Car Pileup over view

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Curt R, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Regarding cars and events and especially the HCP, only by attending the event and viewing the cars can a person decide if the event or cars are to their liking. Depending upon your personal acceptable level or interpretation of what is or is not quality, a decision is formed regarding the event or cars.

I have attended the past six HCP's. My conclusions are as follows.

This years HCP was the largest gathering of personal built vehicles that, showed some of the lowest levels of car construction or workmanship. Not all but, way too many. The 2009 HCP did not come close to being a "traditional hot rod and custom show". It was a great display of some poorly done resurrected junk, field, barn or survivor cars. "Artsy" cars were present, also, some even museum quality. Clown cars, shot rods, shock rods and some rolling junk could be found amongst the way too few cars that, were done with some understanding of mechanics, safety and respect for "traditional hot rods and customs".

Many of the spectators, that I spoke with, were not car people. Many of them left me with the impression that, they came to see some sort of carnival side show, a gathering of weird cars or a rat rod show. Most of them did not appear to leave disappointed.

The events "criteria list" does a good job at excluding "billet cars" and a better job at including cars with bad engineering, sloppy workmanship, poor welds, bad wiring etc. Unfortunately and obviously, as more and more examples, of this type of car construction are displayed, people will view them as acceptable and typical. More will be built.

The responsibility for all of the events shortcomings and problems will fall on the car club or clubs organizing or producing the event. Rightfully so, if they didn't do the event there would be no problems. All the things in their control that, became problems are caused by inexperience, improper planing, organizational shortcomings, communication breakdowns and not being prepared. No one person or group can be 100% prepared but, this years problems were only a larger continuation of problems that, were happening at the HCP within the past few years.

An event that, was conceived by a group of well intentioned, serious minded hot rodders has lost focus. Traditional hot rods and customs are few in attendance. Examples of todays interpretation of "traditional rods and customs" were many.

The events purpose, dollars for charity, is hugely successful.

If, the event survives this years problems and continues, it can become larger and meet its charitable purpose with great success.

The HCP has accomplished some things that, NSRA and Goodguys have not accomplished with some of their events. Yes, the HCP guys and gals deserve all the approvals and congratulations that come their way.

I support their continued financial success and I will support any event that features more "traditional hot rods and customs" than cars that, are posing as "thrc" or cars that missed the mark, entirely.

2. flatjack

flatjack

I couldn't agree more.

3. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Well said man.

4. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

I have been to only one HCPU (last year)....and had a great time because of the people I was with and some that I met there.......you can see my pics from last year here:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301217

I see from this year's pics that the rat rod clowns have increased in numbers by even more than last year's.......the Chrome Czars deserve a lot of credit for putting on such a large undertaking and contributing so much to charity.......however, I think this is at the cost of allowing more and more rusty, bizarre, stupid *rat rods* and just plain junky old stockers with surface rust and no hubcaps.......these are neither rods, nor kustoms nor are they in any way *traditional*........

The club professes to allow only *traditional* styled cars into the grounds.......what tradition are they adhering to by letting in these awful contraptions and just rusty old stockers.....??

I think that if you want to see traditional rods you need only study Don Montgomery's books......or any other hot rod publications up to about 1950-52........traditional Kustoms can be seen in the *little books* like Rod & Custom, Car Craft, etc. throughout the '50's.........

I have to say that I have held these feelings ever since I attended in person last year.....it seems that there a large number of members here on the HAMB that think ratty, rusty, cobbled together junk is somehow *traditional*........I guess there is a belief that anything that doesn't have billet plastered on it, or have *Boyd's Wheels* qualifies.........and I am sure that I'll be called out on finally saying it up front.........no matter.......I stand by my statements........

I hope that the members of this board, who profess to *Spread the Gospel of *Traditional Rods & Kustoms* will take a serious look at what is being called *traditional* by many here.......

Respectfully.....

CB

5. Shoeboxeteer

Shoeboxeteer
    from midwest

Here here...extremely well said!

6. Curt R<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_4433395", true); </SCRIPT> Well said....

7. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Perfectly said!!!!!!

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I just returned from HCP, my first.......had good time in spite of the weather being too cool. Your comments are very consistent with my observations. Although I smiled and shook my head at a few of the 'weird' ones, the early 60's Continental with the top cut off and jacked up, being a poster child for weird, there were enough 'very well done', 'well done', and decent 'works in progress' in progress that I chose to just accept the presence of the really poorly built pieces and hoped they made it home safe and/or didn't kill anyone else. One thing I witnessed first hand with some friends who 'attempted to participate. The guy on the gate deciding who got in and who didn't was EXTREMELY arbitrary. A friend of mine was turned away with a decent little mid 50's Studie pickup, (chrome wheels, SBC engine, no 'billet') and a virtual twin, (same era Studie pickup, same chrome wheels, only difference was it was orange and my friend's black) was ushered in and parked across from my parking spot. I saw other similar examples. Noticeable difference......my friend is an old guy, no studs, no butch wax, no tats, no black clothing........hmmm......could THAT be a factor? Don't know........just wonderin'

9. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

BTW, I did enjoy the enormopus CREATIVITY displayed by so many vehicle builders, even, if not especially, the 'rat rods'........really mind expanding stuff! Caused me to jokingly wonder out loud........"are these people on drugs when working on their cars?" All in all worth my time and expense........but I still agree with the general observations of Curt R

10. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Have him sport some rub-on tats so he can get in next year! :)

I don't have tats either, but have a "traditional" roadster. Guess I would be turned away as well...

11. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

Curt you deserve props for being elegant in your comments. I held the same beliefs and observations after attending multiple HCPU's, however, my forthright nature prevented me from saying so without the feeling of reprisal. You did a fabulous job of recognizing the fabulous intentions and tremendous efforts of the organizing groups.

Thank you for putting into tender words what I could not.

12. moontripper

moontripper
    from Munster,IN

observation great.Czars great.I just kept thinking hope these guys( chrome czars) are ok.I went to my first 5 yrs ago and thought, this is where I need to be,now after the last 2 years I just feel uncomfortable and embarrassed.
    Thanks to everyone that made it happen

13. I'm glad I have the memories of sitting on a bail of hay in Drews shop listining to Knuckel Dragger and the other bands in the begining. It was an intimate gathering of hotrodders that ment alot to me.

I put on a traditional hotrod show in here in Detroit and know how much work it is. And there are always negitive comments no matter how hard you try and do everything right.

The fact this show gives the proceeds to charity is great and I commend them for that. I hope they get past this years traffic and congestion issues.

As far as Rat Rods go, the public is still told on stupid tv shows that they are what is popular today and for some strange reason it doesn;t seem to be letting up.

We here are the ones in the know about what is Traditional and what is lets just say "Old School" for lact of a better or more light hearted phrase.

I have a feeling it will go down as being a great show besides the traffic problems and most people had a good time.

14. Crease

Crease

Find it hard to believe that these guys bust their butts so that you all can have one of the most well known shows in the country and you all publicly tear them up with a few "what nice guys" comments thrown in for good measure. I've met several of these guys over the years and they're class acts. You coulda atleast PMed one of them, why the hell would you make these comments publicly? Thank god I live in Texas where we all support one another. You should try puttin a show together and see how it works out for you.

15. rooman

rooman

The comments were made here on the board because what was said needed to be said, and read by those who care about the event. Pretty much everyone is supportive of the Czars but the event has reached critical mass and open discussion on this forum may bring out some good ideas.
    I have been to three pileups now (one driving and two riding) in true traditional cars and I too am over these overblown pieces of crap with sub standard engineering and general construction. I know how difficult it is to scan the cars briefly as they roll up to the gate and that obviously causes problems regarding who get in and who does not. Different interpretations of the entry criteria by different gate personnel also is a problem that is hard to control.
    As a one day drive up event it is one of the best around and even with the less than stellar cars it is a great day and I plan to continue to attend when possible but I think that it has got too big to be run by a small club and a bunch of volunteers. The traffic and parking situation is going to be an ongoing problem that may not be able to be overcome even with the co-operation of the local authorities due to the size and location of the venue.

Roo

16. Appleseed

Appleseed

What fixes that is looking at the cars that are really nice, ignoring the junk, and spend the rest of the time with good friends.

Even the Czars shake their heads at some of these things, but technically, they meet the criteria.

Ignore the junk.

17. Dick Dake

Dick Dake

If you don't like it , don't go. It will help with the traffic problem.

18. robt500

robt500
    from Lex, KY

When I'm thinkin traditional rods and customs I'm thinkin about the recorded history (mostly photographic) of our hobby. Things published in the actual time period.

19. wolfman52

wolfman52

What's the matter Curt R some of your buddies could'nt get in because the place had to many ratrods.The ratrods,barnfinds,low budget builds help some low budget car lovers to be able to participate in a great show as this.Not all have big budgets to do this.These guys want to enjoy such a Great show just like the deep pocket builders.:mad:

20. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Couldn't have said it better. With so many having a good time and coming back every year it's difficult to swallow what are precieved by some as shortcomings. I'm betting that a lot of the naysayers are older rodders that have forgotten what their first attempts at the hobby produced.
    Including some pictures of what these rodders(?) had for rides 20-30-40 years ago might go a long way to explain their current distain for what shows up at this show. I'm sure they were all Riddler Winners.:rolleyes:

Frank

21. Roy's ride

Roy's ride
    from Michigan

I just got back safe and sound and after my second year I still can't believe what a great show this is. The Chrome Czars obviously treated me to a great honor this year and I am grateful. They are truly a class act. While most events are struggling to survive the HCPU is busting at the seems despite horrible weather friday and very cold conditions saturday. This may have scared off a few of the nicer cars. For the heartier soles, 15 plus thousand I hear, what a great time all in the name of charity. Can't wait til next year...

jeff

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

With not so many hours available in a single day like this (even getting to the gate an hour early and staying an hour late...), there was just enough time to check out all of the vendors a few times, enjoy some of the bands, attend the Meet and Greet, enjoy a couple of good meals and be totally amazed by plenty of great cars.

We didn't waste any time Saturday checking out crap, we just kept moving until the next amazing find.

A great day...

PS: Did anyone else see the guy that romped on the throttle several times in the mud before bashing into the back of a pickup just outside of the gate early in the day.? Anyone know what was up with that?!?!?!?

Last edited: Oct 11, 2009
  23. bustedlifter

bustedlifter

I, too, was going to piss and moan about the Pile Up but I just discovered my panties are wadding up.

24. 76ironhead

76ironhead

Bitch and moan I don't see anyone else step up and do what the czars do year after year. If you don't like it don't look. I thought the motto was build your car the way you want, what you like, not what everybody else wants that's what I saw alot of individual tastes and I think that's what makes the world go around.

25. chopz56

chopz56

The show is and always will be a great show for us to get together with buddies that we only see once a year and drink alot of beer,laugh at some of the junk that rolls in there,and freak out on some of the really nice cars that came in also.....i think that we can all agree that we are tired of seeing that cartoon,rusted,out of whack porportioned junk that we call rat rods....i don't own a traditional hot rod or custom,i have what i feel is just a really cool 56 Chevy wagon that i can actually drive to the show and have fun with....because thats what i can afford for me and my wife and kids to enjoy...period!!!

26. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

And the wagon looked just fine nestled along the corn field. It was a great day!

Attached Files:

27. jonnycola

jonnycola

Well said, Curt.

The Good stuff gets better and the bad shit gets worse.

The bar gets lowered so everyone can play along.

28. RichG

RichG

Thank God you figured it out in time!

29. A Boner

A Boner

And it will be all fun and games, until someone gets killed in (or by) one of those "CLOWN" cars.

30. Maybe Im getting better at ignoring junk, but I thought there was less retard rods than the past couple years. sure there was some real goofy stuff, but there are always cars that slip through the cracks. If you feel so strongly about the content of the show, maybe next year you can join the red shirt volunteers to help with the weed out the "bad ones". I feel the Chrome czars and company have done a fine job of handeling such a large volume of cars and people.