Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs How are everyone's Mercury projects coming along?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pro Stock John, Jul 14, 2009.

1. jville_hot_skater

jville_hot_skater
    from jville

mines is still on the back burner, trying to finish the 31 model a coupe first.

2. I took 4 inches vertically out of the back and I wrapped 3 inch masking tape around my A-piller giving a little more than 2 3/4 up front vertically.

3. I went to the 52's, I don't know what my old setup was.

My paint guy knows he has to get off his ass and get it done.

4. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

Thanks guys, I really like both of you guys cars and when it it time to slice mine I want to have an idea of how much to take out of it.

Oh yeah I just picked up a pair of headlight rings for it that look like yours Ether. They are tin and can be welded to the fenders but looking at them I am not sure how after they are welded to the fenders you would be able to change the headlight in and out..........:confused: but I am sure I will be schooled on this issue.:D

5. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Those DAMN PAINTERS!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Nemo me imdune lacessit''

6. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,
    For your door binding problem, try this: Place a floor jack at about where the B-post was on the frame. Now jack up the frame and put some pressure on the rail. Sometimes there's enough flex in the body shell & frame to pop the binding door loose! Ya may have to get inside , carefully, and give her a good kick.

You're gonna wanna bump up some of that low metal that "The MetalMaster" who built that thing tried to fill. Plastic filler 1/4-1/2'' thick will be trouble up the road. It probably won't start to crack until you spend 8-10K on a paint job, however!
    That's a good lookin Merc with lots of possibilites!

Swanky Devils C.C.
    " Humpty Dumpty was pushed! "

7. Not much new: still working on the body
    shoppicturesoct.09060.jpg shoppicturesoct.09022.jpg

8. efmautoclutch

efmautoclutch

im way behind

Attached Files:

9. Everybody says don't harass the painter, so I'm working on this OT car, need to bolt up new suspension and 9" and then I can roll it over to one side and take the Merc home.

[​IMG]

10. Jeff J

Jeff J

Leave tomorrow to pick up mine !:D:D:D

Attached Files:

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

Who's front end are you using efmautoclutch ???

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I know. :(

13. I wouldn't harass the painter if he was working on it. But if it's just sitting in his shop as other jobs come and go...then time to harass.

14. I guess we'll see. I bolted up the 9", and most of the rear suspension under this Camaro today and it's almost ready to roll again.

15. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

So how long yet on the Merc. ?

16. mechmeth

mechmeth

This Merc was a Coupe. The top I used was a 70 Pontiac Bonne, narrowed
    4" and lengthened 4". Just got it back from the canvas guy, It looks great..and folds down perfect. The Engine is a 429 PI with 8 Harley Davison 42mm carbs (runs down the road but needs more fuel when you step into it.)

Attached Files:

17. mechmeth...can you tell us more about the top situation...stock convertible pieces are impossible to find..so using a donor like the bonne would be more available..

that injection set up is pretty intense...

tok

18. 52lomofo

52lomofo

mines been on hold for a while now just got remarried on saturday and movin into new how this week hopefully and a brand spankkin new garage with heat lol cant wait hope to have it runnin and rollin by next fall (52 mercury pickup):D

19. mikes51

mikes51

Maybe you should have run eight of these instead?

[​IMG]

... Just joking.

Nice work squaring off the top of the windshield frame. The wing windows look good too. Do you have any pics of the tops bows in place or better yet pics of the new canvas top?

20. budhaboy

budhaboy

this was/is the general plan, once I can get started- finances are finally getting caught up(oops, now I have engine troubles on the daily...anyone wanna buy a 70 Monte Carlo?)
    I seem to start thinking maybe I should just find another Merc, and start fresh, but then I walk by this one while I'm taking out the trash, or whatever, and think, Damn, she's already got the look, she just needs the love...My Mother came by the other day and saw it for the first time - told me she was sure I had lost my marbles this time, and that I was truly my Father's son - cant just wade into a hobby, I just gotta jump straight off into the deep end of the pool!

looking even closer at the "welds" in the rear of the roof...yeah, some of the filler metal is only tacked in...on ONE SIDE! *sigh* oh well, I'm hoping to be able to get out and aquire some steel to start pulling the body back into proper shape and get her braced up...Problem is, because I'm such a pain to buy presents for during the holidays, I'm no longer allowed to make personal purchases(which means my new MIG has to wait to at least December 6th)

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Nobody welds sheetmetal patches in from both sides.

22. budhaboy

budhaboy

I know that - what I mean is, where the original roof slopes in, and the filler metal is laid over top, IS NOT WELDED, there are a few tacks, and leftover metal just hanging there.
    look in this pic - those filler strips are only partially welded in, and in the corner, you can see the original metal just hanging there

[​IMG]

23. Well I thought he meant, like left and right side, not top and under side... :D:rolleyes:

24. twochops

twochops

About 10 years ago removed the dash from my 49 and installed
    a reworked 51 dash .The last two weeks I removed the 51 dash
    and rework the 49.Removed the clock, added VDO gauges and
    repainted it and put in all new dash wiring.
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

25. That looks great! What make and year is that steering column from. I was told I could use a camaro column instead of an aftermarket model and save a little money.

26. twochops

twochops

I had a Camero column when I first built it,with a Mustang shifter on
    the hump. Note the small ring added at the dash.Now column has
    parts from Olds and Camero

Attached Files:

27. lockwoodkustoms

lockwoodkustoms

I am just gathering parts here and there for ours.

28. Are you using the F100 power steering kit? It looks like the colume lays pretty flat.

29. twochops

twochops

-------------------------------------------------------
    Using f100 box,but not a kit- made my own parts .
    TwoChops

30. bdynpnt

bdynpnt

mines on the frame and rolling top chop is done (still need to do the door tops and the garnish moldings) . working on the quarters now ,new fuel door , full skirts 54 merc tail lights , rolled rear pans, frenched lakes pipes . i guess i should post a picture or two