Register now to get rid of these ads!

Different kind of beamer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Oct 5, 2009.

1. edweird

edweird

This is a friends 61 sunbeam alpine. He wanted to see what yall think of it. It has mustang ii v6\5 spd. Headers, holley 390. Its built for vintage road racing and running at maxton. We're still working the bugs [big bugs] out of it. But from the results of test runs, it'll haul ass!

Attached Files:

2. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

is it lighter than a tiger, more power? that would be fun to drive.

3. edweird

edweird

see a resemblance? Maybe a babybaker

Attached Files:

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Well, since you asked, I like the car, but I don't personally like the engine choice. A 260 or 289 would have been "traditional".

5. Although it will be fun, it will always be looked at as a poor man's Tiger, and then get it's doors blown off by said Tiger.
    Cool nonetheless.

6. edweird

edweird

i don't know if i would say that!! THIS THING WILL FLY! the motor ain't stock.oh yea it is a poor mans tiger!!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
  7. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I love those old British cars. My daily is a:

*gulp

'67 MGB GT Special.

8. toucan

toucan
    from sc

i will kiss your ass if this thing gets it doors blown off by a 260 tiger! sincerly,THE OWNER

9. Homo. :D

Actually a friend used to own a '75 MG...one of the most fun cars to drive I've ever been in. Reasonable power for what it was, tons of leg room, comfortable, decent handling for the times,,,ya got a little paranoid about the semis on the Interstate, but that was about the only negative.

10. edweird

edweird

you're drinkin.ain't ya!

11. You really think that a Mustang II 2.8 liter V6 with a small Holley and Headers is going to run anywhere near what a Small Block Ford will? You got hidden nitrous or a Turbo we can't see? The best of those motors only made 115HP with about 160 ft lbs of torque. If the carb and headers added 10% each you still only have maybe 140HP. Good heads aren't made for them and you didn't say anythig about a cam or any other parts. The worst of the Tiger 260's made 164 with 258 ft lbs of torque. The later ones were 195, and the 289's that came in 67 and later Tigers were 225 HP.
    Mine was mildly built (big cam, manifold, dist, 650 holley, bigger headers) and with a 4.11 gear went 11.69 at OCIR. Come see me when you run close to that number :D

12. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

LOL... hey... atleast when cute women see me driving an MG, they know i'm not compensating for anything. ;)

My car has a cam, fully adjustable koni shocks, and some other speed goodies that were added to it when it was new. Power is marginal compared to any new 4 banger sports car... but get me in a corner and it'll do it's best to hang with 'em. And about the semi thing...

Just use 'em as slalom cones and keep outta their blind spots!

haha

-Chris

13. National Sunbeam convention was here in Rapid City this summer. Nice 289 powered yellow one in town.

14. My dad had a 77 MGB. I was driving it one day and got side swiped by a Semi. Said he never saw me. Tough little car. The insurance paid $1800.00 to get it fixed. Never did and ended up selling it to a Dutch kid for $1800.00.
    Best part was the reason i was driving it was Dad asked me to sell it for him - for $1800.00 :eek:

15. oldtin

oldtin

If its got the 2600 v-6 I can see diet of tigers, in a car that light the little german v-6 would be a killer. The 2800 isn't bad either, but I like the 2600's

Anyone who has not driven a decent early ford v-6 wouldn't understand!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2009
  16. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

if you lose this bet youll be beggin to put that 289 in. just my 2 cents :D

17. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

I believe it. Those little British cars are actually substantial. The doors hoods and everything on them are of thick gauge sheet metal. They don't feel "japanese" at all. When you open or shut the doors, you feel the weight. My little BGT weighs in at 2200 pounds... which doesn't sound like too much until you realize it's about the size of the desk your computer is sitting on.

18. joebuick

joebuick

yes sunbeam and studebaker used the same designer whose name escapes me at the moment. My friends got a hard top I believe a 59 he's working on at the moment, nice little cars.

19. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

just like 51 willys and 51 henry J. take a gander at that one:eek:

21. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hey , do you get 3 windshield wipers on the mgb gt?!?

One of my guilty pleasures is british cars. The first car I bought was a TR-6. I love them all, crappy wiring and everything. What I'd really like is a TVR or, wait for it, a jensen interceptor III! Talk about your overpriced junkpiles, but I still want one.

Back to the topic, I'm not very familiar with the V6 Ford, I thought those were boat anchors. Maybe I've been misled?

I was thinking at first you used a 2.3 four banger. I think a built or turbocharged one would be a lot of fun in that sunbeam. I just looked at a crate motor that had 220hp and 160lb ft.

Regardless, tell us more!

22. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Raymond Loewy!

23. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Nope! I never did like the three windshield wipers on the later roadsters. That was an American import thing as I recall. The British spec cars only needed 2, but when they were brought over, the US said that 2 wipers didn't clear enough of the windscreen so they plopped a third one in there.

As for the GT, the windscreen is a couple of inches taller (which is why I like the looks of the GT over the roadster) and could use longer windshield wipers... hence only 2 wipers. :)

My first British car was a '71 TR6 in Pimento Red... MAN! I wish I never sold that car... triple webbers, cam, and longtubes running through a Flowmaster 40 2 chamber. It sounded way more like an exotic Italian then a Brit-mobile.