Register now to get rid of these ads!

Neon lighting for interiors like McPhail's '55

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nads, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I did a search and found nothing. I'd like to know what he used. They have strips at Pep Boys etc but I'd like to see pics of it done and debate whether it's not too cheesy. I've got a killer space beneath the parcel shelf on my Capri, lots of room to hide it and I think a neat green glow would be cool.
    I'd love to find a disco lowrider light bar but they're like gold now.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

My buddy used a cheap neon license plate frame under his car seat. It was already set up for 12v, had the right color, and like I said - it was cheap.

3. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

Neon interior lighting, now that sounds like mini trucker stuff??

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

neon is for beer signs in the pool room. NOT on a car of any kind anywhere.

6. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Back when, colored light bulbs were used under wheel wells, under the dash as courtesy lamps, and in stock dome lamps for an accent or just for grins.
    No reason you couldn't use a neon bulb since they are available and cheap but hide it well or you will surely be accused of having "Tuner" genes.

7. brandon

brandon

might try your local truck stop chrome shop....if your in florida , those things are probably on every exit:D

8. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

check out some stereo shops..like the ricers go to!!!! I'm sure there are a lot of options on line ebay etc..

9. squirrel

squirrel

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

Your local auto parts house should have a ricer section with all the neon and chrome muffler tips you'd ever want!!:D

11. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't remember seeing McPhails car at night, but here is Jeff Meyer's 57 Caddy.
    It looks kool kruzin at night....

[​IMG]

One of these days I want to be as kool as Fink'd.

Happy Trails,

Mick

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I gotta say that neon glowire looks like it could be fun...I rented a caddy a while back and it had 'ambient lighting' or something which looked a lot like that neon, and it was really nice to be able to see a little in your car at night.

Plus, if you order from here you get a free attachment to make it pulse to the bass in your stereo! :D

14. Pez

Pez

If it just the 'glow' your after I'd go for, dare I say it 'LED's' damn, said it......

Been in the neon game for years, but its being taken over by LED's, especially in cars as its safer.
    not many 12v input converters made now for neon, they will still kick out 2 or 3KV which can make you twitch a bit, I've done the kilo volt jig a few times.

Led modules or flex strips as used in signs will give you ample light and uses low amps/watts.

I've got a warehouse full of em, but I'm on the other side of the pond unfortunately.

15. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

or you could send Mcphail a pm and ask him what he used.

16. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

True.

I promise you I'm not jumping ship, jumping the shark.......highly possible.

17. Fu-Manchu

Fu-Manchu
    from az

Isnt that just plexi glass rod lit up at the ends, so It's like fibre-optics, not to mention much safer that having a neon bulb pop in your interior, plus the heat it would put off, yup, I vote plexi-rod...

18. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

BOTH INTERIORS in Mcphails 56 and Jeff Myers' cad was done by sean @ fatlucky's austin speedshop. I love lots of lights on the inside and had other plans, and this is what sean came up with. 56 LED's !! all the tubes were, hand made and very complicated system. It is very impressive at nite. it would be very time consuming to duplicate. but you could figure something else out . but the nice thing about led are they don't get hot and don't draw much power , you can run them all weekend and not run down the battery.

19. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

anymore pics...that looks mighty impressive

20. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

This is beyond my abilities, I do have access to double sided tape and electrical wire though. Thanks for the info.

Trust me guys, I'm not gonna be pimpin' or nuthin' it's just a phase, it'll be tasty, not garish, my outfit might be though.

21. monsterflake

monsterflake

you're already above the average skill and equipment level right there. the x-mas rope lights at loew's would be easy, and all you need is a 12 volt inverter to plug into...

22. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Now yer talking, perhaps powered by a hamster driven generator, cut out the inverter entirely. I suspect the Florida heat would do the rodents in fast though, they're only 89 cents at Petco anyway.

23. Swifster

Swifster

A Lincoln...

24. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Not this one.
    Manyolcars is joshing anyway, he knows what I'm talking about. It's a Ford.

[​IMG]

25. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Ditto