Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1955 Chevy Gassers Owners Wanted? Post them Pics!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jay Tyrrell, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Solospeedshop

Solospeedshop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey!
    Saw your ad! I can send you pics of my Lions/ Blairs Speed Shop 55

Email me @ [email protected] Tks Bill

2. Keep them coming!!!!

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. edweird

edweird

I'm not the owner, but this 55 belonged to a good friend.

Attached Files:

5. kustomdon

kustomdon

Here is my 1/4 panels I'm making from front fenders from a 66 chevy PU I had to cut them down but they have the same shape as the front. This car was a 56 but I'm turning it into a 55 I'm building a late 60s Gasser Big Block Chevy 4Spd 60s style paint job

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. 553964spd

553964spd
    from bristol tn

Just got the axle under the front about a week ago.Hammered and dollied a small flare on the edge of the radius then welded in some 3/8" steel brake line to the edge of the flare.Running 29 x 11.50 Hoosiers.Great cars guys a real inspiration to get mine driveable.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. oh good old 55 chevy gassers! I love them!

8. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

Anyone in the process of building a 55' gasser as we speak?

9. Mac_55

Mac_55

Yup , hopefully next year ill have it on the road. Im trying to get EVERYTHING done before i drop the motor in , Cause i know when the motor drops , the work stops lol . Ill be having to much fun driving it to finish it.

10. so many bad ass cars in here. i've thought much on making my 55 a gasser. maybe one of these days.......

11. Your car looks a little too nice to turn into a Gasser. I'm sure that you can still find a donor car to turn into a Gasser. Hell I'd use a 4dr. before I used your car.

12. thanks.
    that's one of the main reasons i haven't done it. it's cheap enough to do, especially if you don't put a straight axle under it, but i'm not too keen on cutting her up. if i was to convert it, i wouldn't radius the wheel wells and probably keep the inner fenders in place, keeping the existing super comps and dumped exhaust. then everywhere i go people will tell me "it's not a gasser, it doesn't have a straight axle!!" :rolleyes:
    the one good thing is none of the work to make it a gasser can't easily be undone.

13. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

Still building mine. Laid off, tons of time, short on bread. Doing all the "least money required" stuff in the meantime. But someday.....

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  14. Mac_55

Mac_55

no heat out in the garage so my progress is gonna go into hybernation for the winter before to long.

If i can get it into my brothers shop im going to try to get the rear end finished up and all the brakes done before spring .

that way when summer rolls around i can concentrate on body work and motor.
    [​IMG]
    I finished up the interior about a month ago and finished all the wiring a couple weeks ago , american autowire makes an awsome harness for these cars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Me too exactly, Mine wouldnt really be considered a gasser but Im going for the sitting high gasser/street freak look.

Attached Files:

16. No, yours deserves the radiused wheel wells, staright axle and don't change the paint and keep the interior just useable. BITCHIN' !

Last edited: Oct 14, 2009
  17. Ever thought about the Modified Production look? A tunnel ram will go under the hood, and if you want to add late 60's early 70's scoop you could just get another hood or even a glass hood. M/P cars were not allowed to remove the front bumper and had to use the original front suspension. You car is a natural for this. 56 modified.jpg

56Hebron.jpg

little_green_bag.jpg

Sedan%20delivery-1_WEB.jpg

LyndaRae_2.jpg

OlYeller.jpg

18. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

here is a couple pics of my old 57' i built and sold it to boones.. it had ball joint spacers and heavy springs. not a gasser but a cool street car. I'm gonna post pics later tonight of my new project 55'... its a real project but it will be fun.

Attached Files:

Deuces likes this.
  19. spinn427

spinn427
    from indiana

Does anybody on here know what Gasser55 's blue altered wheelbase has a for a straight axle??? Really like the way the car sits, And I also like the look with the frame not cut off, the front springs line up with the frame rails real nice. Stance is awsome. I have a 50 chevy truck axle for my 56'chevy, but like where the front tire is sitting on Gasser55' alot!

20. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is the info he previously posted
    gasser55
    Re: Altered Wheelbase 55 Chevy

the axel i'm using is a ford econoline not sure what the width is i think it is around 50 1/2 inchs eye to eye

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rand Man
    How much was it altered?

it's been altered 9 inchs and the engine has been set back 3 inchs

21. 553964spd

553964spd
    from bristol tn

Mac 55 what length is your front spings eye to eye installed and are they custom made or a factory style spring.How many springs are in your pack.They look close to the springs I want for my car.I currently have a 2" block in the front and want to get rid of them.I'm hoping to have mine on the road next spring/summer.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  22. Mac_55

Mac_55

they are a 6 spring pack i ordered from speedway , told the tech guy i was gonna be running a big block and he sent me these heavys and told me i may want to remove one or 2 once i get the motor in to soften it up a bit , ill have to get a measurment for you.

23. solid

solid

great car...looks mean...

24. 2Loose

2Loose

Been tryin' to work on mine at least a little everyday! First posted some pix right here on this thread on page 3, 8/29/08, as I hauled my newly found '55 4dr home! Now it has a '59 Ford truck front axle under it, new front frame rails, a Cutlass manual steer box adapted for a front cross steer setup, and a 6-71 blown 67 Olds 425 mocked up in it, with a Doug Nash 5 sp bolted up behind it. Beefed up ford 9" that I narrowed and put in 35 spline axles and a Detroit locker in back, not mounted yet, will run ladder bars. I'll go back to the motor and complete it after the rest of the car is done. The block is fully machined and prepped for the blower setup, including a full girdle to hold the bottom end together. The radiator mounts almost complete, I need to get the 12 pt cage built, the radiator side mounts will hang off of the front cage legs. The three leaf springs carry about half the front weight, the coil overs carry the rest, and I like that they are adjustable for height. Currently I'm working on the flip front end, beefing up the sheet metal with some 1" square tubing so it will stop being so floppy when it is flipped open. The hood hides the blower, only the carbs sticking through. Just want to get it complete and running by Feb. when our local track season opens up for some "test and tune" runs. Not back halfed, but mini-tubbed, so I can at least run some 12" slicks in back! Later if I can find some two door doors, I want to make that conversion, but a 4dr gasser is pretty neat too, and I am keeping the back seat, as I have grandkids who will want to ride in this!!! AND I am keeping it street legal. A nostalgia knockoff? Not!!! I'm building this the way I want to, and using a lot of parts I had on hand stashed away out in my shed. So far only needed to buy the radiator, the 35 spline axles and the locker, the wheels, and a MSD ignition setup, and will need a driveshaft.
    I post pix here from time to time as I make progress.
    Aloha,
    Willy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
    Deuces likes this.
  25. chris55

chris55

On the fence, whether I should gasser mine or not. I redid the frame, sandblasted and painted, moved new rear springs into pockets, rebuilt frontend with all new parts, disc brakes,and 2'' spindles. Should I put the old spindles back, on with b-joint spacers and taller springs? Cut it all off and start over? Or just finish the damn thing and shut the hell up? Don't ya just hate wishy washy people?:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

26. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

This thread still is going! Right on! I will have to post some pics of 55 gassers that I photographed this weekend!
    J

27. that's a thought and it was thoroughly reinforced over the weekend while i was in Ocean City, MD. for their Fall Cruise. There was a black 150, radius cut wheel wells, scoop through the hood. looked just like the american graffiti car, which is one of the main reasons i've wanted a 55 since i was a kid.
    thanks for the pics and the idea, i may just go with it.

28. sledbuilder

sledbuilder

at that point if you want a nose high stance... I'd put the old spindles back on, get a set of heavy coils.. big block impalas or a set of coils for a 55' that has a big block swapped in..(ecklers' sells them) and a set of ball joint spacers. that way you are only investing a fraction of the cost and if you don't like it you can easily switch back to the lowered look. thats my 2 cents. the 55' I'm building is gonna be built for racing, if you want options down the road don't strait-axle it. once you cut it..... its cut.

29. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Looks very similar to what I started with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd say hang that axle son. There can never be enough straight axle '55s

rod1 likes this.