Register now to get rid of these ads!

9" width

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fab32, Oct 4, 2009.

1. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Need some information on a 9" rear guys. Is the 9" out of a '57 F100 pickup the same width as the '57 passenger car rear? I'm looking to put one under my '38 Deluxe coupe and the car is in storage so I haven't got it handy to measure. Thanks!!
    The last question I asked last year took almost 3 minutes to get an answer. Want to go for a record?:cool::D

Frank

2. no, they are different width. In addition, they are different bolt pattern
    do I win something?

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Frank

The 57 F-100 rear end is almost 2 inches... per side WIDER ... the the 57 car/station wagon rears. :(

Randy

4. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys. I knew about the bolt pattern difference, the width was my concern. Anyone know what application 9" will fit a '35-'40 frame without needing to be narrowed? Narrowing one is a no brainer for me, that's what I usually do to get the width I want with the wheel/tire combination I'm using. In this case I thought I'd just find something that fit and the F1 was available. A '67 -'69 Camaro is a bolt in using the Chassis Engineering parallel leaf kit and I've got a couple here so maybe that's what i'll go with. I love building a rearend to fit EXACTLY the application so taking the lazy way out might get tossed in the final decision.

Frank

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009

5. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

You bet, A Mt. Dew or a beer of your choice the next time I see you.:eek::cool::D Not a big deal I know but with Obama spreading the wealth I don't want to over promise and under deliver. If I have anything left after taxes I might throw in a burger of you choice. Remind me after tax season and if theres anything is left in the kitty I'll forward a gift certificate to cover it.

Frank

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A 40 Ford came with a rear width of 60"
    I like to use a 57/58/59 Ford rear end. They are right at 58 inches.

I posted here last week this same info. A LOT of folks said ... great but they are impossible to find :confused: A fellow HAMBer about 100 miles from me came to my house Friday and I took him to my FAVORITE junk yard and we scored a 59 Ford station wagon in less than 20 minutes ( for 2 hundred complete :D ). They have well over a half dozen to choose from. He wanted a 3.56 gear ... so it took a few extra minutes to find a big bearing 3.56 geared wagon.

DMV ... here on the HAMB was the HAMBer ... he is installing it under a 39 Ford coupe. :)

7. RAY With

RAY With

The 66 mustang has a 57.25 rear width
    77 to 81 Versailles is 58.50
    57-59 ranchero is 57.25
    66-77 bronco is 58
    67 -71 comets-cougar and fairlanes are 59.25

This will give you some idea on what is out there.

8. dbradley

dbradley

9. DMC

DMC
    from SC

Here is the 39 that Deuce Roadster spoke about in an earlier post. The rear end is in the car. Now, if I can just get the home projects done I can get back to work on this ride. Randy forgot to state that we did not have to touch the car that the rear end came out of. We just told the guy at the salvage yard which one we wanted and we went to eat lunch. When we got back they put it in my truck and I was on my way home! The rear end is completely rebuilt with a new posi unit, gears and big brakes.

Thanks again to Randy for helping me.

Attached Files:

10. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

2001 explorer:
    Rear of disc brake to rear of disc brake, 54 1/2"

My 38 panel explorer rear on Roadster shop chassis 51 1/2" rear of disc brake to rear of disc brake.

Would have given you hub to hub but Im not pulling my tires off for you...... I hardly know you.

Older explorers may be narrower or may have the drums which you are most likely looking for, e brake cable kits are readily available for this set up.