Register now to get rid of these ads!

Don´t miss this post :-)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NielsK, Oct 3, 2009.

1. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hi guys!
    Need a little help.
    This is a longwinded story, so please sit back and read on J
    In Denmark we have to have our vehicles approved every second year.
    Old cars ( +40 years) has a 8 year period instead of 2 years.
    Thats ok, it keeps a lot of junk away from the roads J
    Another thing is that you must not alter your car very much.
    If we stick to a Ford model A, as an example, then it´s ok to install a 12 volt system, and lower it by installing a new spring.
    But thats about it!!!
    If you install juice brakes, crosssteering, split wishbones, K member, a dropped axel or a smallblock motor, anything like that, you got a problem!
    When you alter your car it loses its “Identity”, or at least that what the “Taxguy” thinks.
    See in Denmark we pay 180% tax of the cars value.
    The value is the pricetag from the car manufacturer.
    So when we buy a new car, we really pay for 2,8 car.
    Back to the Model A, I “rod” the damn thing, and “taxguy” says: “Whoooaahh, hold on there, young fellow, now the car is worth more than delivered from the factory .. SO !. . . I need you to pay more tax”.
    You simply calculate a new manufacturing year of the Model A (Long complicated affair) and end up with a new “year of birth”,
    If lucky you end up in the mid fifties, then you will have to pay something like $ 6000.
    OUCH . . . . Right?? L But hey! . . . . . the fun just started!!!!
    Before “Taxguy” even considers using his calculator, he wants you to prove that your souped up Model A is roadworthy and streetlegal.
    So you have some “wise guy” calculating stresses in your frame from that smallblock, those split wishbones, your juice brakes and so on, list is endless.
    Then he makes a nice piece of paper stating that everything is just dandy
    Thats a costly affair.
    And by the way, this paper only covers your car, you cant build a similar car and copy the paper.
    You´ll also have to prove its roadworthy, by paying another “wise guy” for taking you car out on a track, and beat the hell out of it.
    He also makes a nice piece of paper stating that your car handles like its supposed to.
    These two pieces of paper will easily cost you another $ 8000
    So now you´ve spend a ton of money building your car, and now you must pay another 14000 $
    For some “taxcrap” and paperwork. L
    There is however a loophole !! JJJ
    The two “Wise Guys” (AND THEIR FEE`S J )can be bypassed if the car manufacturer states that “He has no objection, to the car being altered by installing juicebrakes from “this or this model”.
    Likewise: “No objection to wishbones being split, as long as its done like “this or that”, and so on.
    Simply a piece of paper from Ford Motor Company with a statement, and referring to a specifik drawing or a specifik book on “How its done”
    Where the drawing and, or book is from less important, as long as it´s a specifik drawing or book

I´ve called a lot of times from Denmark and trying to reach somebody inside Ford Motor Company, that could make this happen.
    Lots of friendly people, but no luck yet, not even sure which department to ask for.
    SO NOW THE BIG QUESTION: Do anyone know someones “third cousin”, that works at Ford, and would be willing to have a email conversation with me????. . . . Phonetab is running high J

Please !!
    NielsK

2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Wow, that is a tough situation.

Can you register the car in another country?

With the product liability concerns in the USA, I'd say that it is a long shot that any factory would comply with your request.

Can you establish prior art? There are plenty of documented cases, right back to the 1950's issues of Hot Rod, that clearly indicate what goes with what. Another possibility is to have a qualified ingineer make the case that the factory would not have allowed things to bolt up (juice brakes) if there was no intent on this being a suitable upgrade. I admit that that argument is a long shot.

Can you return the car to stock every 8 years?

3. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Or maybe the rodding community in Denmark needs to recruit their own two 'wise guys'?

4. olskool34

olskool34

Wow, that really stinks.

5. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

Shit, and we bitch about our DMV's

6. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

I don't even know where to start with that, but I will say that in the absence of common sense, we are ALL headed in the same direction.

Could such a tax and it's associated regulation be levied on new births as well?

Just wow....

:D

7. Tenacious A

Tenacious A
    from Willis Tx

Thats what I was thinking.......God I love the USA......Is what I was really thinking

8. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Hi
    If a Danish citizen i caught "redhanded" driving a foreign registered car, he is fined.
    The amount would be the same as the tax for registering the car!
    That would easily be ( Keeping with the Model A example) 6000 $

I know the product liability is an issue, but if I dont try :-( !!

Prior art ! we tried that, no luck, paperwork must be done :-(

Some guys return their cars, but if you are pulled over while driving it OUCH
    Fine AND tax. Don´t even want to think about it :)

We have discussed getting our own "Wise guys", but its still a lot of work.
    The "factory paper thing" would be so much easier :)

9. solid

solid

If we stop bitching long enough to think about it, we really do have it good here in the good ol u.s.a...sorry about your predicament. Sounds expensive to have a hot rod there.

10. screwball

screwball

I thought the nazis or communist governments werent part of your government no wonder guys in your country have legal drugs got to numb your minds some how. legal sex and drugs but dont alter your model a. LOOK OUT its comming our way soon.

11. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Even if the foreign registered car belongs to someone outside the country? Why not set up a corporation somewhere friendly, like Delaware, USA? Costs a few hundred US$. Then install yourself as CEO. Register the car in the States to your company. Drive it in Denmark as part of your....whatever: compensation package, fringe benefit: a Danish barrister would know.

I'll bet this can be done without the car ever being in the States. US DMV departments only care about paperwork; I have never had one of my cars - including hot rods - looked at by anyone - this is not fraud, there is simply no reason the way things work over here.

Here is the question to ask someone over there: If some company in some country had one of their company cars registered in some country, can an employee of that company who is a Danish citizen drive that car in Denmark? Find the combination of circumstances that comply with the various regulations (loopholes) and you just might be good to go.

12. Can you register it in Sweden or Norway and then transfer registration?? Sweden is a lot looser but they have a book of the rules you have to follow. Norway sorta follows it but still has its own quirks and a good inspection.
    I'm from the States and i dont think you'd ever get very far with something from Ford, etc... too much red tape. Better to try and get it another way. Let me know if you need any help from over here!
    <input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

13. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

14. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I used to work on foreign cars, lots of them had international plates, can't you just be a "visitor" in your own country?
    I had a guy in Dennmark wanting to buy my '36, I think he was just a picture collector as I sent him pic's of every squar inch of that '36. He was telling me the same story about the taxes. I felt sorry for him until he didn't buy my coupe!

15. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This; or vote in a different flavor of government.

16. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

JOIN S.E.M.A. action network..

It works !

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That&#8217;s what I was thinking, then I thought again. Your problem is probably a preview of the future here as long as retards are allowed to vote. :rolleyes:

Hope it works out for you

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  18. Old61

Old61
    from PA

not quite as bad as it sounds.<table class="XEtbl_sub" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="1" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="XEenlarge" align="right" width="45%">6,000.00 DKK<!-- WARNING: Automated extraction of data is prohibited under the Terms of Use. -->

</td> <td class="XEenlarge" align="center" valign="top">=

</td> <td class="XEenlarge" align="left" width="45%">1,174.89 USD

</td></tr></tbody></table> Of course no one wants to pay it.

19. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

OFF with the King's head!!!! tt

20. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

NOPE $ . . . . NOT DKK :( its almost 35.000DKK

21. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

PLYM49 and BRIGRAT:
    Nope cant be done. Foreign owner must be present in the car!!
    I can´t drive around in a foreign registered car.

If I´m a visitor, I cant work and have my vages send to my bankaccount
    :(
    Guys!! . . . in Denmark you register that you are staying in the country, so IRS always knows where you are.
    Your salary is sent to the bank, and its the company you work for, that deducts your tax, before the rest is payed to you.
    No way of "hiding" unless you live as an illegal alien.

22. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

My wife (who lived in Michigan for a good bit of her life) suggests contacting Henry Ford Museum.She believes it's in Dearborn.If anyone in the Ford organization can help it may be them.

24. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

If a car is streetlegal and roadworthy in another country inside EU (Europeian community) then it´s also legal in Denmark.
    (Small stuff differs, lights and the like, nothing major).
    Sweden is by far the best bet, but in order to build and get it approved, you must be a resident in Sweden.
    I can buy a car in Sweden, and pay the tax. . . . . But hey . . it will always be someone elses car :(

Another thing is that "old stuff" is fairly cheap i Denmark, and there is still lots af A´s hanging around all over the place.
    Sweden , Norway, Germany are much higher priced.

We had this Ford Factory in Copenhagen, and made cars for export to the other countries.
    That and our high taxes on cars made a lot of Fords survive longer.
    In the sixties you still saw Model A´s daily on the streets :)

On a good day they even outran those @£$??&§ "beetles" :)

25. NielsK

NielsK
    from Denmark

Thats a good angle.
    I´ll try that :)

26. arca39

arca39
    from summit il

how about one of the mags. or a older builder, they my have some sort plans to change parts from a how to do point????

27. Must it be from Ford Motor Company?

Can you refer to the aftermarket "gurus" such as Mike Bishop, or Vern Tardel and use the info in their book "How to Build a Traditional Hot Rod"?

28. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

The owner is not inside every truck or limousine or other vehicle owned by a corporation. There must be a way to establish corporate ownership, or perhaps a trust.

So you set up a consulting company in Sweden with a Swedish address - could be an e-Suite or something like that. The company owns the hot rod which is registered in Sweden. You are the owner/employee/whatever of the company, and it is yours to use. You keep your Danish residency.

I can't believe that there is not a way to do the above - or some reasonable facsimile according to local regulations. Certainly in the EU organizations/companies/etc. own vehicles that others drive. Certainly in the EU you can be associated with a company from another country.

It does not affect your existing job or salary or residency. Every so often perhaps you drive to Sweden to check the mail.

You already probably own stock, right? Then you are already moonlighting with other companies. You set up this company, perhaps a hot rod consultancy with your vehicle as a marketing tool; it should not matter that it does not generate income - just make sure you are compliant with your local tax laws.

Again, I am suggesting that you move outside the box you are in to take advantage of other regulations that must be in place for incorporated entities.

29. I feel your pain Neils.
    It´s not much easier in Germany and the UK is heading the same way.

We need to get organised, europe wide and get some sensible legislation passed for everyone. Jeez, it´s just a hobby and yet we get treated like criminals.

If we had a big organisation like SEMA to fight our corner, we might be able to get somewhere.

30. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

the US might have some tuff laws but we aint even close to what this poor guy deals with... I'd need two good paying jobs and still live at home with mom and dad to get a hot rod over there.