Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods OCTOBER BANGER THREAD not so frightening yet.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weeks46, Oct 1, 2009.

1. So I will kick it off once again this month. I have been reassmbling my car after finishing the painting of the chassis pieces. Took me about 9 hours to diassemble, paint, then reassmble to this point. Got everything almost ready to get the car on the road. Its only a matter of assembly and registration really. So here is some pictures from recently I took. I have been busy with racing jalopies http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4376195#post4376195 , helping downed hambers with their cars, and other things besides my coupe's constuction. My coupe is beckoning me to get her on the road.-Weeks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  2. Nerdbynight

Nerdbynight

"helping downed hambers with their cars"

Kudos!

Man it's almost there. Get going with that assembly and registration!

3. trad27

trad27

Wow looking good, I love the prewar theme. If you ever need a extra pair of hands feel free. Just picked up some paper work from the DMV for my rod, it aint so bad if you got a bill of sale, readable vin, and pass inspection.

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Looking good!

I'm hoping to score some sweet banger parts at Hershey next week...fingers crossed!

5. Thanks for starting the new thread Weeks46!

I posted this last night... should have waited until today (paid NO attention to the date), so if you all don't mind, I'll repost my question:

"I'm hoping to be joining the ranks soon with a '28 Chevrolet 4! I'll also be heading to Hershey next week-

Any advise on what parts to search for (sparkplug make/model, distributor, carb, etc)?... and if for some reason, I find a gentleman with a table full of Winfields for $25 a pop (Lol), which throat size is best suited for that engine?"

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  6. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Hey Weeks that chassis is lookin' mighty fine - hope you get it finished up soon.

I took my car up to a smaller show in Heber-Overgaard, AZ (in the White Mountains) a couple weekends ago. It was put into a class titled "pre-1950" cars. It was a show where the folks that entered went around and did the voting and I won 1st place for my category. It rained like hell after 10:30, you can see how wet it was. I took these pics after things broke up a bit. I had a lot of fun talking with all the old timers about their Model A experiences when they were kids. One guy told me a story about how he and his Dad fixed a bad banger bearing with bacon rind to go 15 miles to get to real parts. Anyone runnin' bacon bearings in their cars here ;-)

I went to a new pair of Firestone (Coker) 7.50-16s out back a couple weeks ago - poor man's overdrive. Car is running great, drove it for about 30 mins last night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Thanks for the offer maybe when I reset the body I could use help. Been pretty fortunate to keep everything Pre-war so far except the alternator, and AMC master cylinder. Everything else is pretty dead on for what would have run on the lakes. I am on the hunt for 2 16'' Kelsey wires for the back only right now.-Weeks

Thank you Megan I appreciate your opinion. Wish I coulda met you and Denise last weekend. I heard you gals were down south and I would have made it down there but had prior commitments to the Oakiebowl Hardtops.-Weeks

Thanks for the thumbs up. I really dig how you have used conservative restaint in your parts selection since you got your A. I think you will continue to get recognition from it for how nice it is. I would pick it outta a group for sure. Got the carb/fuel pump bugs worked out I see good deal.-Weeks

8. andyg

andyg

lookin good weeks! i big fan of prewar style cars

9. DurerHaus

DurerHaus

Can I rely on a rebabitted banger with a stock oiling system as a dependable street engine? To the rebuild I want to add a counterbalanced crank and lightened flywheel. Also a brumfield head, 3/4 race cam, single 2bbl downdraft intake and moden valve conversion. What is involved in full pressure oiling? Is it necessary though? I dont plan on racing but I want some get up driving around town. Hopefully I will post some pics soon. Thanks for the advice.

10. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Thanks Weeks - I have been running gravity because my 6V fuel pump crapped out on me after only 2 weeks (SoCal refunded my $ on it). It runs ok as long as I'm not going uphill and have at least half a tank of fuel. I got a new Carter fuel pump (6V) delivered yesterday that delivers fuel between 2-3lbs w/o a regulator - I might throw it on tonight.

The heat here has finally broken and I doubt we'll see 100 degrees again for 6-7 months. It's car season in AZ!!!

Tom

11. andyg

andyg

durerhaus,

take the time to read through old monthly meets because there is a ton of info on the subject. check out back issues of secrets of speed society pubs and f.a.s.t. publication.

i run a "'B" that has dipper rods and pressure mains. it depends on funds and all that. yes they can be very reliable with babbit and dippers. no you can not spin them very fast in their "stock" form without keeping close tabs on the bottom end. Is pressure better? Yes but those improvements come at a cost. others can tell you what is involve in pressurizing an "A" as it is a little different than a "B". SOSS the Charlie Yapp puts out has some great articles about that subject.

My advise is enjoy it to the extent that your pocket book allows and keep it on the road as much as possible. Maybe you could drive it the way it is now and IF you have problems then you could pressurize it later.

good luck.

andyg

12. adam401

adam401

Iread the banger meet threads religiously every month, I'm totally addicted. Well I finally got my banger powered A legally registered and took it on its first long trip to a show this past weekend. Got lots of work to do but I'm on my way. The info in these threads is priceless, especially for a guy like me who has no idea what he's doing[​IMG]

13. andyg

andyg

cool ride adam! could we see more pics?

14. adam401

adam401

Thankyou![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. adam401

adam401

16. andyg

andyg

pretty cool...what's the grill?

i'm out of here for a couple days!

Later

17. adam401

adam401

The grill is a mystery. A friend gave it to me for free and then I narrowed it 6 " and peaked it.

18. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Awesome looking car Adam - I love it!

19. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

dustin ive heard of the bacon before but i aint runnin it

20. old1928fordguy

old1928fordguy
    from colorado

Well this is my first Banger Meet post.I drive m Banger Coupe to work every day a work here in Denver at Berts model A Center.Check out our web site if you need great service and graet parts for your Banger.I am going to try to post some pics of my Bangers.Be patient if I screw up remember Im a new guy.Thanks Phil check our web site modelastore.com

21. old1928fordguy

old1928fordguy
    from colorado

Try to post pictures of Phils Bangers in Denver Colorado,2nd try to load photos.Remenber im the new guy so thenks for being patient.Thanks Phil, Berts Model A, Denver modelastore.com lots of great Banger Parts!! check it out

Attached Files:

22. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

Start your own thread.

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Andy,
    Did you get your ignition gremlin worked out?

24. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Neat looking stuff. Welcome to the Banger thread. Please feel free to participate and offer banger related tips, advice and insights. Just try to keep the sales pitches to a minimum.

25. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Great looking car, looks like a lot of fun! What's the story behind it? Is it an old car resurrected? Did you build it?

26. Michael_e

Michael_e

Been awhile since last post. Still working on the speedster. No new pics of that yet. Found a guy selling a bunch of Model A parts, went to look, and ended up filling up the back of my pickup with treasures that i just couldn't live without. Mostly stock engine related parts and some other odd ball stuff. But he had this old car jack that i just couldn't leave without. It's old, cool, and very heavy.

Attached Files:

27. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

finally get to hang out on here again. purchased a 33-34 "B" motor, courtesy of redbeard. I now have a liscence to hoard (some more). thinking 26/27 T roadster on an A frame, and a 2 year time frame. will post some engine pics when I get it home. if anyone wants to trade for the mortal remains of a '46 Norton 18h...lemme know.

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

any more pics of the speedster and specs? looks pretty well thought out, and not some fat assed visual train wreck that many A speedsters are.

29. adam401

adam401

Thanks for the kind words. I built it in my spare time. I started with a frame, engine and tranny and built the frame basically stock with new mechanical brakes. I had this body I built from a free cowl, free mix mtch doors, free trunk lid (that I put a wood frame in) and $50 quarter panels. I have about 2g into the c ar the biggest expense being tires. I had to pull the engine apart a little (totally full of rust sludge) and change valves, guides springs and reseal it. My friend and fellow club member Koby sewed me the leather seat from an old oxblood couch and backed it with cotton and wool. Its getting a 32 heavy beam and reverse eye springs this winter and hopefully a high compression head.

30. old1928fordguy

old1928fordguy
    from colorado

Here are the requested speedster pictures you asked for from my previous post.Always glad to share.I hope these pictures show what you were looking for.Thanks Phil in Denver

Attached Files: