Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electronic Ignition/Distributor Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 58sled, Sep 28, 2009.

1. 58sled

58sled

Sorry for the silly question but have asked on several other forms and just havent had much luck.

This is on my '64 425 CID Nailhead that I bought rebuilt.
    My question is does this hook directly to 12 VDC or would it run through something like a MSD box. I have taken the distributor completely apart and can not find a name brand or any markings.

It is one red wire and one black wire with a small white (clear) plug on the end.

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. jerry

jerry

Can you post a picture with the cap off? Or spill your guts!

Might help to see what connects where.

jerry

3. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

I have a 64 Buick Electra with a 401 that I can take a look at tomorrow when its light enough outside and see if its wired up with the same distributor like yours.

4. 58sled

58sled

thanks 390merc.

I know its not a points distributor any more

5. 58sled

58sled

I guess I'll pull the distributor out tomorrow and take more pictures

6. i have a gm hei that was in a 20R toyota motor!:eek: no shit they just removed every other terminal and used the 4 that were left.

7. 58sled

58sled

I hope this will help ID this let me know if I can take more pictures

Attached Files:

8. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I wanna say that's an old Stinger conversion except it doesn't use a reluctor ring, maybe it could be a later version. I heard Mallory sold a similar setup like that at one time without a reluctor and they both used similar connectors. Regardless it probably is just a magnetic pickup and needs a box or module to use it.

9. put some mopar on that GM!

Easy to wire up, dependable, just carry a spare ballast resistor with you.

[​IMG]

10. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like the reluctor from a mid-Sixties Holley transistorized ignition kit. The kit uses a control box that's identical to the rather rare (read expensive! :eek:) mid-Sixties Corvette K-66 transistor ignition option. Evidently, Holley was the OEM for some of GM pieces and decided to make a universal conversion kit of their own.

Interestingly, in the same time frame Chevrolet had their K-66 transistor ignition option, Oldsmobile and Pontiac had a far superior K-66 capacitor discharge ignition option. I guess these new electronic systems were scary voodoo to most buyers and the options were eliminated after the '67 model year. :confused:

11. 58sled

58sled

Thanks all.

I'd like to here from the night shift and I guess I need a finial consensus, what parts, and how to wire this thing up.

I'm about ready to fire this puppy.

12. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

My stock distributor just has one wire going to the (-) on the coil.

Sounds like you had plenty of answers as to what you already have. I've thought of putting a Pertronix kit in mine but it seems to work great all these years so far. Still have a new points set on the work bench too.

13. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

pm Hotrodron on this board......he works for Pertronix....maybe he can id that fokker

14. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think you mean hotroddon.

15. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

still GM though....... take it easy on me i'm tired

16. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

What he said

17. 58sled

58sled

should I just change this to a pertronix setup?

If so does anyone have a part #

THANKS

18. check out gmc bubba's stuff, he did a tech on really simply conversion with factory parts.

19. lolife

lolife

20. If you mean just using spade ends instead of using the mopar plug, I guess it is easier to wire up, they are no simpler and I have half a dozen grabbed at the local scrapyard for $10.00 apiece. They have their own heat sink as well, and I think they look better too!

As far as being better, I sincerely doubt it.

21. 58sled

58sled

22. lolife

lolife

Good detective work! That particular circuit probably works, but the computer is so big because of all the processing going on figuring out the input from the unshielded stock cam lobes.

Pertronix mounts a plastic device over the cam lobes, which requires less and more precise processing. Bigger doesn't mean better. By shielding the metal cam except for just a small window, the sensor will get sharper pulses.

Ever since I got my first CD ignition in the 80's, I've been running one of those. You can drive a coil direct with the Pertronix and Mallory, but running the pulses into an MSD box, which then runs the coil, is about as high performance as you're going to get on the street.

I would go with the Pertronix (smaller, no external computer), and rebuild the distributor (new shaft, bushings, and gear).

Ballast resistors only need a fan to make them great heaters.

Personally, I run a Unilite, because I like the LED and timing wheel which is more precise, but mostly I got a new distributor without having to rebuild anything.