Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else caught themselves doing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glassguy

glassguy

perfect reply!!! i traded an exhaust system to guy who pulled this out of his monster truck when he parted it out. and dressed it to look decent, and old. i woulda traded for hemi but couldnt find any takers! haha.. after putting about 40k miles on it it still would smoke just about anyone thet tried me.. it would be a cold day in hell when i wrapped up 5 grand in a flathead that this sbc would KILL!! hot rods should be fast... also liked to know that when i was 6-10 hours from home and something broke i could get parts. worste case scenario if i blew the damn motor i would get a ride home and get another one out from under the bench and go back with my truck and change it out alot cheaper than the cost of the tow!!!

Attached Files:

2. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

You shouldn't. Anyone that doesn't like a Chevy engine in a Chevy car is likely a nut.

But, a Chevy in a Ford, or a Chevy in a Mopar, well that's a whole different matter, and the person that does that is a nut if he thinks the whole world is going to like that choice he made.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  3. Koolade

Koolade
    from Illinois

ended up with a SBC due to it being pulled as a runner with trans from a buddy who was going to use a Y block. Something more interesting would be cooler, but for now, and for what little I've got invested, I'll just keep the hood closed. I wish I had a cool straight 6 GMC with a bunch of speed parts.

4. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Same could be said for a built 289, for instance. And a SBF is just as traditional as a 327 (both introduced in the Fall of 1961, and both were immediately favorite choices). Of course your SBC would smoke a a flathead V8, but the flathead V8 is not the only Ford engine available.

5. glassguy

glassguy

oh and for the radial hatin crowd. heres another thing.. these tires came out of ferrises junk yard for 5$ each and i ground them in. at one time i had bias on it. but when im 200 miles from home, runnin late to get there, im in the left lane. if im driving im passing. all set with chasing those tires all over the road ! yeah they looked better but i dont need the stress or expense. i had 6 grand into this truck , and would do it the same even if i had money.. ok enough of my bullshit im over tired i never write this much...

6. ZachM

ZachM
    from Ogden

i think they get boring. love seeing wild o.g. engines shoved into stuff they don't belong in and making big power. like nailheads in old fords. :)

7. glassguy

glassguy

i appreciate your pont of view. but i dont like there looks , there parts interchangeability. and mostly the distributor hangin out the front. i have had 302's 351's and a 460. and in my PERSONAL exp. did not like them or thier performance. had a the mildly biult 351 in my 56 ford pickup. my bonyard stock greasy 305 had more punch! again this is just my personal exp im no engine biulder, im a bodyman. but i know whats worked for me in an aweful lot of cars over the years.

8. roddinron

roddinron

The ENTIRE car. Damned near every car has something we'd change, but that doesn't make the whole car bad! So what if a guy built a really nice car then put billet wheels on it, look at the rest of the car, you may find things you like and can learn from. Same thing with the engine, so it's not your choice, so what, what about the rest of the car? Some of you would turn your nose up and ignore an entire car because he chose a sbc, and miss a chance to see a lot of other features that you could learn from, there's a good chance the money he saved on that sbc freed up some funds and time, to do some pretty nice stuff with the rest of the car.
    I truly believe that people who walk by a car do it more as an act of snobbery, and to "snub" the owner, and make a quiet statement that he's just not as cool as they are (in their mind anyway).
    Oh, and I'll bet if this forum was around in the mid 50's, this thread would be bashing flathead fords, now a bunch of you are talking about how different they are, I guess you just weren't around when most guys couldn't wait to get those boat anchors out of their cars, but then again, I guess that's why they are different now.:confused:

9. glassguy

glassguy

i will add one more thing so im not a hypocrite.. i just put my 58 olds back on the road and put in a 1970 350 olds, coz i was outta sbc's when i did it. and i gotta say it is one smooth runnin tourquey sunamabitch!!! its a huge car and it scoots along real good. ! only problem is i dont have a shelf full of cool valve covers and intakes for it so the hood will be shut!! my choice for this particular car would have been an early 472 caddy, but i couldnt find one in the budget.. there an absolutely killer motor and only 49 lbs heavier than a sbc. but there ugly as hell ! so i wouldnt put one in a hoodless car, thay also have that ugly ass distributor hangin out the front.. but if you want crazy tire shredding power for almost free they are the way to go.

10. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

Well put, I agree 100%

11. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

Ya, i do. And I would recommend that you go ahead with your rod, it is an old motor now and should be considered so. Its a lot older engine than my '56, sbc was, that I bought in '56. The sbc was out only 2 years after the deth of the flathead. In them daze a serious flatty was a definite threat to a chevy, fact a good runnin built chevy 6 was not a slouch, and GMC,s were a cinch. However that all quickly changed, In fact the flatty was doomed at least by 1951, with the ultimate weapon, the 'Chrysler hemi'. so there ya go, and if you like a different engine later on you have choices of really great old engines.

12. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

I like SBCs just got bored with building them. They are a great engine, but yes, I do tend to pass them up these days. Of course I'm the type that tries to focus on different motors. Also been absorbed with inliners up until recently, and now Pontiac V8s give me a hard-on. So tastes change. It happens. The SBCs have a time and a place and there's not too many other motors that you can pretty much be broken down anywhere and the nearest auto parts store will have what you need on the shelf. Try that so of the more odd-ball stuff. Not happening. Still for myself at this period in my life, I'd rather use something a bit different, just because.

13. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

That's a good answer. I'll agree with that.

14. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

this is an interesting thread, I eventually will inherit the 28 chrysler business coupe to finish it, and My dad had already picked out a SBC for it, he has been collecting a bunch of vintage speed parts for it, I'm not sure what all he has, but it will be a fun project to make it interesting looking.

15. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

when you really think about it, there really isn't much difference once you bolt on all the shit anyway. To me what makes the motor somewhat unique is the aftermarket parts. A hillborn is a hillborn whether is on a SBC or anything else, a blower is a blower despite what it's on.

So the only real difference then aside from some dramatic features (like the plugs through the covers on hemis, or the flathead, or a inliner) is the level of pain in the ass it took to aquire the parts. SBC parts are relatively easy to come by. The other motors, not so much. They actually take some effort and patience to get your hands on.

This is a gross generalization though. I'm just saying that in many cases perhaps its the rarity of the parts and effort that had to be made to get them that makes another mill more exciting.

16. swi66

swi66

I do look at the car, but I seem to notice it more when it has a different motor.
    Nice old Nailhead, or a vintage early Old's Rocket motor.

17. mr62buick

mr62buick

Actually, yes.... I go to a show and see impala's, camero's, 55-57 chev's, mustangs, cuda's, chargers, and more of the same and I just walk away to see the "different" cars. The prior ones are belly button cars, everyone has them. i like to see different, odd or a vehicle that is not the norm. Cadillacs, Olds, Buicks, and others....

18. 30 Buford

30 Buford
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes , thats why I went with a Nailhead backed up with a Muncie in my AV8 build. I,ve had sm. blocks in a couple of Vetts a chevelle ,Nova ect. and they are a great motor but I want my Hot rod to be unique. But it also cost plenty more to go this route. If on a budget a well dressed sm. blk. is fine too.

19. woodywagon1965r

woodywagon1965r

sbc is like a belly button everyone has one dare to be differant

20. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

Me too... if it has holes in the heads, single carb, and an automatic I cruise right on by.

21. yardgoat

yardgoat

If the show is big,a stock motor is overlooked because if i want to see one i just pick up a car mag.I spend my time on custom engines,because its custom.Nothing wrong with a stock motor or car,just at a car show i like to see things that arent the normal (stock)...................YG

22. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Actually Im bored at carshows ,Ive seen pretty much everything there is to see.Id rather hit a swapmeet .and see project cars .Im more about the build. If you think about olds ,chevy ,pontiac ,ford and other combo 's of motors what haven't you seen.A straight and shiny paint job and a well built car impress me .

23. OoltewahSpeedShop

OoltewahSpeedShop

I really couldn't give shit less...... really. I love small block Chevrolet engines. In my lifetime, they are the best. I am a 40 year old product of my Dad's total Chevrolet deal. As a teenager in the 80's, I wanted a "By God 454". Dad played along.... Build your 454 and I'll foot the bill. In the end, if it out runs my SBC you won't owe me a dime.

454.... 7.80's
    358.... 6.90's

Dad won.

24. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

To be honest, I don't even look at engines at car shows. I couldn't give a rat's arse what powers the vehicle. I prefer to see cars with their hoods closed so I can see the VEHICLE. Are these 'car shows'? Or 'engine shows'? With everyone's hoods open, I think it's the latter. LoL.

25. The Engine is the first thing I look at. It is the most important element to me. I'll walk past any motor if it isn't done right.

I don't look at ugly chicks, and I don't look at ugly motors.

I do like the SBC, but I only like seeing them in GM vehicles, and then, it needs to be THE RIGHT GM vehicles.
    Just like I don't like seeing chicks with dicks, I don't like seeing an SBC sitting in a Ford.
    But, if said Ford has a slick SBC in it, you can bet I'm going to gaze upon it. I love engines, and there is a correct dress and location for them all.

M/P

26. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

27. GasserDave

GasserDave
    from Sin City

With all the awesome sbc's out there with 427 and 454 cid its tough to not like them. I personally am a bbc fan but thats me..I also like the hemis....

28. I used to be biased to Chevy engines. I have had older friends who would not look your way if you put a SBC in your engine bay.

Yes they are easy to find, easy to work on and hell, on a budget a way to go to get your ride on the road.

I have since departed ways from those crazy friends I had and have seen a different light.

One thing I do favor, A nice restored Ford should get a Ford, Chevy or GM a Chevy. but when times are tough...get what ever you can. Projects, beaters or something of the like, hey I understand...get it and go!

29. hotrodarchaeologist

hotrodarchaeologist
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Maine

I officially lost the last scrap of interest that I had in SBC's at Alter Boys in '08. I was looking over a "traditional" '32 coupe and noticed, cast into the top rear of the block, "Hecho en Mexico'...

30. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Wisdom states define love NO I think your losing scope just build cool cars your way and stay off other peoples ass or you might find yourself on your ass !!REMEBER OPINIONS OR LIKE ASSHOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE AND THEY ALL STINK !! I like any thing fast and cool !!My shity opinion!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.