Register now to get rid of these ads!

'60 Starliner/ Galaxie idler arm question??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29EHV8, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Eh guys,
    I'm just about to get my Starliner on the road. We got it lowered and the damn idler arm is just about in the dirt. Its power assist steering and the idler hangs too low to drive it safely. Does anyone know of an update or interchange that will get one thats not as low? Like a more modern box and pump?
    TIA!

-Shiny

2. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Yeah, that power steering control valve can be a pain on really low full size Fords of those years...

There is a rack and pinion conversion out there for your car.
    http://www.wurthitdesigns.com/60-64FordRack.htm

Also, a couple friends just put a Jeep Cherokee (I think) power steering gear into a '57 Ranchero. I guess it was a fairly easy swap. The front suspension on the Ranchero is nearly the same as your car. Might be worth looking into. They bought a rebuilt gearbox from a chain auto parts store.

Malcolm

3. Thanks man!

So its a Cherokee steering box swap then? I just so happen to have a Cherokee getting stripped on my property right now!

-Shiny

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Well, perfect then! Keep the steering gear out of it and compare it to your Ford. It's worth a shot at least...

5. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

If that doesn't work someone locally is swapping in a 77-79 ford f150 2 wheel drive steering box. i havn't seen it yet

6. Rooster

Rooster

29EHV8, torchman,
    Please post pics and notes of mods and/or difficulties w either of these swaps please. I'll be doin Granada spindles this winter on dad's '60 and any tips will help plan this for a quicker re-do. Also, while the Starliner topic is current, have you guys converted to PDB? What MC and booster are you using if so?

7. Will the disk brakes from a 66 T'Bird work on a '60 Starliner?

Ken

8. J-lopy Kid

J-lopy Kid

I am using a SSBC booster and master made originally for a 56 ford; 8 inch around, single diaphragm; 4 bolt. I am using this booster to clear a 429 with AC coming into the firewall on that side of the motor. There are some other ones out there; and, on my previous galaxie; I found that a 1966 Fairlane or Galaxie booster, a little larger in diameter, was a bolt in to stock PDB cars and got rid of the unsightly vacuum canister on the fender stock for a 1960. The 1966 fairlane booster I chose as it was avialable at any parts store, no core required; and reasonably priced. Side note; it also clears an FE or Y block. Use the master cylinder of of the Granada, and proportioning valve; also readily available at a parts store.

9. hotrod428

hotrod428

I sell a disc brake conversion for your starliner. check out my website.
    bill

10. My son & I installed 2.5 droped spindles in his 59 T-bird. With the FE and Power steering the PS cylinder hits the oil pan. If you have installed the steering setup & have an FE also look for problems there. I built a dropped Idler arm bracket but that dropped the cross shafts in the "dirt" as well. With a 58-60 T-bird & a C-6 there is no room to raise the engine. Maybe in your '60 Fullsize you could raise the engine 1" and adjust mounts accordingly.

Just a thought & precaution.

Movin/on