Register now to get rid of these ads!

anyone else caught themselves doing this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by indawaitinroom, Jul 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2271 charlton rd
    stanley ny 14561

man this topic got outa control fast.

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I have caught myself doing that, and I'm sure I've missed out on some fine details.
    I like the SBC, excellent engine, but I always gravitated to the different and rare. Guess thats why I like inline 4, 6 and 8s

3. Well they all have tits & awe you know:D, I still look!!

4. RodStRace

RodStRace

In my case, it's not snobbery, it's that I don't use a SBC. A quick glance tells me that they used the belly button motor and unless he/she fabb'ed some unique motor mounts, throttle linkage or accessory brackets (not very often), I will not see anything I could learn from and use for my stuff. I have already seen the parts used a hundred times in 99% of the cases, and since most of the stuff is 1-800 or trad SBC stuff, it is not new or interesting. I filter this stuff and pass over it so that I can spend more time looking at the guy that fabb'ed his own stuff or has put together something I have not seen before. That's where you gather details and learn, not the guy who has a the 709 (350+350+9) with store bought everything bolted on. Ditto on the GM steering column/digital dash/power seats. I've already read the book and seen that car.

5. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

I have a SBC in my truck, but my truck is a Chevy, so it was a factory option. (sort of..I have a 350). In my case, it's because I'm a poor boy.

6. I do it a bit. Not that I don't like 'em but I like "different" whether it's cars or just the engines. I'll walk past a row of tri-5's to look at a Metropolitan or a Stude just cuz it's my preference. I'll still look at a car with a SBC in it, as engines aren't the only thing about a rod that attract me. But I might tend to look at a MOPAR with a MOPAR, Ford with a Ford or Chevy with a Chevy differently than I do others. And when I go to a show & pay the $$$ to get in I don't ask how many SBCs, SBFs, or SOBs are there before I pay up, I go to appreciate and enjoy the hobby. . .

7. PoPo

PoPo

its funny because I find myself doing the same thing as the OP and I am building a SBC for my A. Usually its only because people don't take the time to get a really nice setup. Thats why I am making sure I get very specific vintage speed parts that you just don't see on every other SBC.

8. highlife31

highlife31
    from salida ca

sad to say but i do it all the time i think it is beacuse i am just tired of hearing 350 or 383 come from everyones mouth. This sucks because we have a 70 nova with a stroker in it. So you are not alone brother.

9. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz . . .

10. i grew up with both of my best freinds familys owning large junkyards and we were all mopar guys for the most part and liked fords and buick nailhead engines. i cant guess at how many small blosk chevys we blew up just so we could stand there and laugh hysterically and wait to see what flew on the ground smoking. ahhh those were the days

11. Paul B

Paul B

I dont care whats between the rails, I like any old car, truck. just not all the Gold chainer crap. and flashing lights under the car .

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Here's my 2 cents:
    First of all, I like cars, period. And I think that the guy who builds it, or even the guy who write the checks if he hasn't the ability and talent to do the actual work but does have the ability to make the money to write the checks, has the choice to make himself. And his likes, preferences, and circumstances should be the determining factor in all choices in the build.
    Let's take me for an example: I'll be 72 in 6 weeks, so this is most likely my last build. I have a heart condition, type II Diabetes, Asbestosis, and Sciatica, which is a back ailment that affects your ability to walk long distances or stand for an extended time.
    So you don't often find me tromping thru old, overgrown junk yards or browsing thru a swap meet that's too small to have a vendor renting out electric scooters! So if I wanta finish this car (and I'm almost thru), I gotta use what easily available, and reliable, as I'm getting too old to be up under a car on the side of the road.
    I've been in and around one form or another of the car hobby since the very early 50s and have owned or worked on at least one of most of today's favorite hot rod bodies and engines ranging from T models up thru SBC.
    This time I bought a '31 Brookville roadster because I wanted steel and don't have the years left to rebuild on of Henry's own. The car had been bought from Brookville and brought to a partial "mock up" stage by a previous owner. It was set up for a SBC, including mounts, Lakewood bell housing housing, 4 speed, etc.
    I've built from there and no way was/am I gonna delay the project by detouring and starting over on an engine choice! After I finish and I'm riding, I just might start to look for something more exotic. I've always wanted an Offy 270 4 banger, but where to find?
    My 350 is built with modern stuff like aluminum heads, Edelbrock air gap 2-4bbls, and MSD ignition for the same reasons. I am using bias plys, but only because they were already purchased, who knows when they are worn out and need replacement?
    So I think all this snobbery is bullshit, and you need to know the whole story, or just keep your thoughts to yourself on critizing someone's ride.
    Dave

13. RAY With

RAY With

Well, the roadster has several engines and the current one is a 540 cuin Big Block Ford with dual quads. Actually driven weekly to events and Not sure who does your motors but I only have $4,300 in this motor. I have built hundreds of motors but as to street type I never ever spent $15,000 on any of them. Racing motors is a different story but I never said or indicated you had to stick with original motors and just said in the old days what was "traditional" in my area. Most of the rides here open there hoods and show there motors and some are detailed or chromed out and some just painted. I guess its a personal thing as to how you want to do your motor compartment. I have a flatty -a y block and a cad all of which can be installed in my car and have been at one time and I am into variety and I like a couple of posters admire the ride but pass on the SBC motors because I also find it boring and only due to the numbers out there. Just my personal opinion and I do like the SBC and not against them but seem them all and what they have to offer as to eye candy!

14. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

If you think this is about snobbery towards SBC's, you're mistaken. Instead, it is those who do not use Chevy engines who have suffered the snobbery for many years from those who will only use SBC's and BBC's. I can't even start to count how many times that I've heard over the years, "You should/should've put a Chevy engine in it." This is the revolt from that snobbish belly button mindset of the street rod crowd.

And, if you build a hot rod, which in and of itself is an act of craftsmanship, design, engineering, creativity, etc, then you are fair game for criticism in how that build is accomplished. That is especially true if you take it out in public or talk about it in public or put photos of it on the internet, which makes it a public display of the build's craftsmanship, design, engineering, creativity, etc.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  15. Tony

Tony

Naa, unfortunately (for some), the SBC is still one of my favorites so it don't bug me at all. Plus, i've gotten good at not caring about pleasing others so it dosn't matter if someone else digs my motors or not :D
    So, how the hell ya been Mat? :)

Tony

16. jesus christ.....if the engine choice in a car turns you away from a nice car, you are over evaluating. if i start closing my eyes every time i see a car with a sbc......i'll be bumping into shit in my garage.

17. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

OK, if a particular engine choice turns you away, then you're over evaluating.

If a particular wheel choice turns you away, are you over evalutating?

If a particular tire choice turns you away, are you over evalutating?

If a particular body style choice turns you away, are you over evalutating?

If a particular interior choice turns you away, are you over evalutating?

If a particular paint job choice turns you away, are you over evalutating?

What can we use to decide whether we like a particular car or not? :confused:

18. onlychevrolets

onlychevrolets

I'm with you Bomb.....I'm all about chevrolets but my 33 chevy runs a nailhead

T-Time get over yourself....

19. John Denich

John Denich

you can't you have to like everything!!! Remember its their car they can do what they want, if they like we all have to like it.....BULLSHIT

20. Kerry67

Kerry67

If I think a car is cool looking and it has a SBC (which is cool), I just spend more time looking at the rest of the car. Now if it has a flat-head or something different under the hood, I check out the motor a little longer.

21. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Its their car to do what they want, but we don't have to like it. Oh, wait, maybe we do have to like it, in today's PC world. It might hurt their self esteem. There are no winners and losers anymore...everyone wins because no one keeps score. Competition is bad. Excellence is bad. Winning is bad. No one's work is better than anyone else's. Sameness is good. Conformity is good. Resistence is futile.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  22. jamesgs4

jamesgs4
    from denver

Whenever guys talk about resale value, I'm thinking screw the next guy, I'm having fun with my car. To me it's like saying "don't bang your girlfriend, you don't want to wear it all out for the next guy" lol

23. i love all cool engines but being all my crapola is chevy i will stick with my SBC's!
    and until i get something else i will stand over here shaking my pom-poms!:D

[​IMG]

24. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

You forgot the rest of the quote:

"Should we consider that it would be desirable to make these youths Chevrolet-minded? I think that we are in a position to carry out a successful attempt. However, there are many factors againt us:
    - 1.Loyalty and experience with Ford.
    - 2.Hop-up industry is geared with Ford.
    - 3.Law of number-thousands are and will be working on Fords for active competition.
    - 4.Appearance of Ford’s overhead V8, now one year ahead of us.

"When a superior line of GM V8’s appeared, there where remarkably few attempts to develop these, and none too successful. Also, the appearance of the V8’s Chrysler was met with reluctance even though the success of Ardun-Fords conditioned them to the acceptance of Firepower.

"This year is the first one in which isolated Chrysler development met with succsess. The Bonneville records are divided between Ardun-Fords and Chryslers.

"Like all people, hot rodders are attracted by novelty. However, bitter experience has taught them that new development is costly and long, and therefore they are extremely conservative. From my observation, it takes an advanced hot rodder some three years to stumble toward the successful development of a new design. Overhead Fords will be in this stable between 1956 and 1957.

"The slide rule potential of our RPO V8 engine is extremely high, but to let things run their natural course will put us one year behind-and then not too many hot rodders will pick Chevrolet for development. One factor which can largely overcome this handicap would be the availability of ready-enginered parts for higher output:

"If the use of the Chevrolet engine would be made easy and the very first attempts would be crowned with succsess, the appeal of the new RPO V8 engine will take hold and not have the stigma of expensiveness like the Cadillac or Chrysler, and a swing to Chevrolet may be anticipated.This means the development of a range of special parts-camshafts, valves, springs, manifolds, pistons, and such-should be made available to the public.

"To make good in this field, the RPO parts must pertain not only to the engine but to the chassis coponents as well. In fact, the use of light alloys and brake development, such as composite drums and discs, are already on the agenda of the Research and Development group.

"These thoughts are offered for what they are worth-one man’s thinking aloud on the subject."

Signed: Z. Arkus-Duntov
    dated: 12/16/53

25. thepoz57

thepoz57

with over a million made, they are still cool.

26. Excellent points!

27. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I didn't "forget" it. I did not think that it was relative.

28. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I'm sorry, I didn't know that only Chevy guys were allowed to post an opinion. My apologies. I should have known. :p

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

lame topic. why would I care if some nut doesn't like my Chevy?

30. jim galli

jim galli

I'm a new-b so I'm mostly having fun lurking and keeping my mouth shut. Hey, it's the human condition. When it comes to women, it's one in a thousand that will get that second third and fourth look. Then my wife whacks me. Cars are the same, without the whack. We like what we like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.