Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. biscaynes

biscaynes

colesy, similar door flags, but i think a different car....

[​IMG]

2. biscaynes

biscaynes

norm fryer's '007'....

[​IMG]

3. biscaynes

biscaynes

thanks jim, couldn't remember where i found it.;)

4. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

[​IMG] Does anyone remember this car ??

5. Jim Pizzi

Jim Pizzi

I don't know who that is, but there is something about that car I like. I just can't put my finger on it! Looks like they repainted the car but didn't touch Tonys sticker!

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Did ya notice the "Enigne by Sox & Martin" on the front fender? Looks odd to see that on a non-Mopar.

Pete

7. DW31S

DW31S
    from Sparks,MD

Hi Darwin, Glad you are finally aboard. First Lundgren and now you- a little reunion of sorts. I tried to email you to get registered for next years show but, for some reason it came back--twice-- I guess I'll phone. I had a great time at all the shows and next year should be even better with all the Junior Stockers. Thanks for hard work, generosity, and continued support, Dave. [email protected] '69 W31 F/S

8. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Whatever happened to Mousie Brown?

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

9. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

Mousie is no longer with us:(

10. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Pete,
    How about a SS/J '67 Camaro with Bob Glidden Race Cars on the quarter panel............
    Bob Rice

11. Lee Martin

Lee Martin

Sorry to hear that. My dad knew him back in the 60's when he worked at Rosenthal Chevrolet in Arlington, VA.

-Lee
    Atomic Radio
    www.atomicpinup.com

12. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

Is that the Decatur Daily Democrat of Linginfelter?

13. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Actually, it was on Tom Burnell's car during the mid to late 70s.

14. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

That's news to me. Gotta pic?

Pete

15. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I think he's got pictures of everything.........

16. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Thanks colesy loved the wagon story, Henry.

17. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

[​IMG] Re: NHRA Junior Stock

<HR style="COLOR: #e5e5e5; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->I think he's got pictures of everything.........

I don't know about that but I'm trying real hard..........!

Attached Files:

18. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

I'll take the yellow wagon in the backround!

19. It is nice to see the response with the addition of Darwin Doll to our group. As he has said and as you all know, "Junior Stockers" are the back bone of the modern day racing NHRA, as well as IHRA and the former AHRA.
    I can see the change of thought in all of you from when I first mentioned about my going to the July '08 show with my wagon. I really didn't think that I would have many people to talk to about my car. There were 235 cars there and quite a variety, dragsters, street cars, etc.
    This was the reason I didn't think that I would have many people to talk to. I even brought a chair. Well ... I was wrong. I did more standing and talking more than I have done in a long while. It didn't matter if the people were car owners or former racers or just there for a car show, the draw of a stock bodied car (Junior Stocker) was amazing. I even ended up winning the People's Choice award!
    So, this brings me to why I am writing this. Some of you are working on cars that you are hoping to bring to the show. Others have cars that are original cars and are planning to bring them and some would like to do a car that represents the Junior Stocker era but cost is a big factor. Whether you are building a nostalgia car or putting one together to run weekly, it is very, very expensive. It is a lot more than most former racers would want to invest, especially if you are retired and on a fixed income.
    We all have a deep appreciation for Junior Stockers or we would not have reached 222 pages. You can still be part of the Junior Stock movement by becoming a Silver Sponsor of the 2010 York Nostalgia meet. Silver is a $1000 investment and, YES, it is a lot of money. I realize that we can't all justify it but I am sure that many of us can.
    I am sure you must realize what it cost to put on a show like this and the fact that Darwin really sticks his neck out in doing so. Drag Racers are a special group of people. If you want to see a real example, take a look at the posts for P426. Pete, who doesn't even race, (he was 13 in 1971) has so much enthusiasm for the stockers that sometimes, I think he is going to OD on them. He is really into it. His drive is on a level with each of us that had or still has his car. Even if you don't race anymore and it is just a conversation piece, that is your enthusiasm being displayed as Pete's is.
    Give the sponsoring some thought. I know that Darwin would welcome it and then come to the show and enjoy. Whether you are from division 7 or division 1 doesn't matter. We are all in it together.

Dom

20. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

21. SMITH&WELSH

SMITH&WELSH

Owned by Joe Cook made up car not old race car

22. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

23. TO ALL:
    Forgot to mention last night on my post that the York Nostalgia entry forms are available now on line at www.yorknostalgia.com
    Get your Junior Stocker entries in early!

Dom

24. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Yes it is.........I drove the car for Mike Delahanty in 1975 and finished 5 or 6 in the Maple Grove Monet Trail Points. Great car:p

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  25. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

[​IMG]This was a very fun car to drive my Z/S Vega

26. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Thanks Bob!

Now if I only knew what became of my old 65 Chevelle 4-door ... shown here (as an 'M' car) before NHRA added 5 HP to the 220/283. Sure 'took the wind outta my sails' when they did that just three weeks after its debut. Before the factoring, (at 14.00 lbs per HP) it was a perr-fect fit in M/SA.

Check out the dapper (auto-shop teacher) dude ... bell bottoms, Cuban heels, long hair. Ah, those were the daze!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  27. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

I drove the 2 door Shiftless 1 and the greatest time in the 4 door Shiftless 2 thanks to Mike.

28. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

Wow, I just visited this forum after a lengthy absence. Darwin being here is a major plus, as he was smack-dab in the middle of Jr Stock racing.

How about the '67 Nationals final between Ken Gunning, in the McMaster & Gunning "Jolly Green Giant" '57 4-dr hardtop vs ben Wenzel in the Wenzel bros '67 Z-28. A come from behind victory by Wenzel, which had the crowd roaring.

On a side note, Ben Wenzel is still running that car and won the Stock portion of the Jeg's All Star race in Chicago earlier this year.

Once I clear the rust out of my head, there'll be more to come.

Mark

29. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

That one should bring 'em out of the woodwork.

Mark

30. SundayNiagara

SundayNiagara

If I recall, Cordia Chevrolet was located in Erie Pa., and Jere Stahl's '56 was sponsored by them. I have no idea who drove this car, but hope it will jog someone's memory.

Mark