Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Towel City Tires-they recapp piecrust slicks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Von Hartmann, Nov 16, 2007.

1. John 79

John 79
    from Sweden

I got Towel City slicks on my t-bucket,they run fine on the road.A little ruff "sanding" on the sides but i just think that look cool.

2. k9racer

k9racer

At one of the local tracks the towel city tires were manitory as the track sold them. I never did like having a 10 thousand dollar car with a recycled 35 dollar tire on it.. I won several races with them. I also had several come apart. They would not make them up. Several with less than 10 laps not really up to operating temp when they failed. I was lucky I did not hit the wall or tear up much. But having to buy manitory replacement tires and lost money for pulling out of the race with a non quality tire left a less than desirable felling with me. Then to this was over 20 years ago. I hope they make a better product now.bobby.......

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  3. lavenderblue50

lavenderblue50

Bought a set of these a couple years ago from Towel City. They looked good. Sold the project before I had a chance to run them on the street. Used to run a set of Towel city retreads on some g-60's? on a Dodge Demon that I had. You could get different compounds for the tire (I think that I used a mid-range compound, better street traction). Got real good use out of those tires with no problems. These guys have been in business for years. They are using the old molds that they used to use years ago. The guys at Towel City are great guys and have been at it a long time. Never had any problems and my dad and his friend's have used them since the 60's. Later.

4. Anybody else have recent experience with Towel City tires?

5. Von Hartmann

Von Hartmann

My brother bought some of these for his coupe. He hasn't finished the car yet, but the tires are mounted and balanced. They actually balanced out really well, and look like they will ride nice.

So I ended up buying the hurst 30x10 slicks for my car. And yes they rubbed. I added stabbilizer springs and they took care of that problem, but it rides like a lumber wagon now.

Here's the my verdict. My hurst tires look great. They have a nice clean, crisp cap, but the 30x10s are heavy as hell, and didn't totally balance out. My dad has the 28 1/2x 8 1/2 hurst slicks on his 55 and they are awesome, balanced out great and look great.

The Towel city, balanced out well, and look descent. They have a lot more blemeshes in the molding than the hurst, but they look like they will run just fine.

Both seem to be about the same as far as compound. The Towel City tires may be a shade softer, but from what I heard, Hurst has retooled and their tires may be softer than before.

In my oppinion, they both are good. Towel city makes a good tire with good prices and cool tread patterns.

Hurst is the standard, and they are still hard to compete with when it comes to recapps.

They both have a lot to offer, just depends on what you are looking for. I would run either.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  6. rainman1958

rainman1958

I just put some on my truck so far I like them. You can't beat the price I got free. The good thing about running racing (oval) tires is if you know a track where they run them you can pick used ones up for almost nothing. Or in my case nothing. Mine are 10" wide 28" tall. Asphalt guy's are real picky with there tires so they will almost never wear them out they usually take them off still in very good shape. But they're not street legal.

7. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

anyone with input on there drag slicks ?? I kike that they have different compounds

8. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I like the different compounds too. I called about the prices a couple years ago and they were way lower than anyone else, but I went another route, and haven't looked at slicks again til recently. Might be ordering a pair in the near future.

9. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Yeah they seem to be the only ones offering different compounds ,,everyone else its take what we have..gonna have to do some digging has to be more choices than the 3 on the board

10. I used them on an asphalt street stock and they worked well, cheaper than the Hoosiers by about $40 at the time. I never had a problem balancing them and had to maybe rotate a few around on the rim to minimize the weight.

I had a leftover set of 4 when I got out of racing and put them on my '68 Chevy tow car. They were as soft as dog doo and really had great side bite for lane changes. They lasted about a month before the tread went away.

Bob

11. Yeah they do....

12. GaDOC

GaDOC
    from Harlem Ga

I have Towel City 8" grooved cheater slicks and they ride good. I saw the post of the tires from Towel City on youtube and I would have sent them back as well. I searched Hurst Cheater slicks and in the process found this link.

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Auto-Ti...-Adam/hurst-tires-aka-adams-hot-rod-7mdpa.htm

At least Towel City took the tires back, because they did not look up to par for the build. Hurst's cap comes off and the guy's is out of luck? Who knows mine could come off too.

13. i need to write a report on there too!!

14. GaDOC

GaDOC
    from Harlem Ga

NegativeMatt looks like you had or have a problem with them too!

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

I just bought a set of 30x10's on sat. Cody met my on a day they are closed as I live 2 hours south of their shop. He went over some details on what tire would be a best choice for me and I went with it. Being a business owner I know that you cannot please everyone. I believe any legitamate problem that I would have they would deal with. The determining factor for me was these particular models that I bought were trued on a machine to be perfectly round. After having over $320 dollars in coker white whites on the front of my sedan and only to find out after 3 times of balancing these out of round tires the vibration is something I will have to deal with. Knowing these hurst tires are trued that won't be an issue. You can balance an egg but it is still not round. Thanks Cody

16. Does Hurst true ALL of their recaps?...

17. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Negative Matt sent back two tires with the beads completely torn out by improper installation. We will not warrant any tire that has been returned with torn beads.

Pictures attached are of said tires "returned from negativematt"

Attached Files:

18. HOTRODRUBBER

HOTRODRUBBER

Currently we are looking into purchasing a MARIMAC truing stand from a local tire shop. We tried out some of our tires to see how it would work. Seems to work very well and when done properly it can leave a very nice finish on the tread face. We will keep you all informed when we start to offer this service on tires.

Thank You
    HOTRODRUBBER

19. yep, but that wasnt the reason they were sent back. i sent them back because after 2 years of being on a car on jackstands, they started to separate. the unfortunate bead problem came upon dismounting the tires and the shitty casings were coming apart. thats why i made sure you got what was left of the bead, but of course you saw a way out of warranting something. YOU said they needed to come back, and after you cussed me on the phone and said they were fine, you shaved them down past the crack and said just put tubes in them and theyd be ok. well, guess what, they are still coming apart. im out 700 bucks and the only thing YOU were concerned with was that if your replaced them, YOU would be out a set of casings to RE-USE! really?? reuse casings that are already separating? wow!! and lets not forget the "whitewalls" you painted on with roof paint! nice touch, buddy! glad i'm into these suckers for 700 bucks!!

so, i learned my lesson. i should have went with RADIRS like everybody told me.

20. Those [Towel City] are the tires mandated for use by our racing club (street stock) only we use the circle track slicks. They do nice work!

21. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

Negative Matt why be so Negative?

22. titus

titus

i wont buy recaps for a car im gonna drive.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  23. 31modelo

31modelo

I've got to tell you Hotrodrubber you got one other company in the country to compete against and you been on here stiring up a shit storm. I wish I had just one other company to compete with. Act like a professional.

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Frankly, I'm offended by that comment. We don't delete anything that is warranted...

25. I'll back Ryan on this one!! If negative comments disappeared, there wouldn't be much of a forum here. Ryan might chew on a butt once in awhile, (he has mine) but I personally appreciate how well he stays out of most of the arguments here.

26. GaDOC

GaDOC
    from Harlem Ga

I feel the same way! I posted the "ripoffreport" because Hotrodrubber used this thread to bash towel city, when people started saying how they liked that they offer different compounds and that they were cheaper. Also, I do not think anyone from towel city is on here to defend their self like Hotrodrubber has. Even if the price was the same I would have bought from towel city because they are on the east coast. These recaps are heavy, and paying shipping from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on">Oregon</st1:State> to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Georgia</st1:place></st1:country-region> would have been as much as one of the tires, if not more. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

27. todztoyz

todztoyz

I'm in the market real soon. The decision isn't getting any easier!

28. A Rodder

A Rodder

As I posted two years ago, I had bought a set.
    Last month I bought another set that Cody and his dad dropped off at my shop on their way back from Bakersfield Hot Rod Reunion.
    Easy decision for me.
    Good luck with the hunt.

29. Master of None

Master of None

I've had 2 sets of Hurst cheaters. No problems, in fact I get a lot of complements about the looks. The only trouble I had was someone backed a trailer in to the side wall of my first set,witch with any brand of tire will ruin them. For my troubles I even got a free t-shirt. I know my good experience with them has sold a pair for Cody in my home town,and I hope to sell more.

30. oldskooloutlaw

oldskooloutlaw
    from Tulsa

I have bought and used many slicks from Towel City back in the 70s &80s and I bought enough extra's to sell so that mine wouldn't cost me anything. They were great tires for stock cars and road race tires till SCCA outlawed em, I can't remember getting any that weren't first rate.