Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods B&B Speed '30 Ford Coupe - Build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by N8B, Sep 29, 2009.

1. N8B

N8B

***EDIT*** SORRY GUYS - I switched servers and have to re direct all my photos!****

Thanks to the inspiration of a few good friends of mine and that aching feeling in my heart, I decided not to sell my coupe and start her build.
    I am starting off with a 90% complete 1930 Model A.
    I have started the tear down so I can evaluate all the components as I continue to formulate my build plan.
    I am leaning towards a salt inspired racer.
    It will be a highboy on 32 rails.
    It will have a special quickchange that I am working on.
    Hair cut is undecided at this point.
    Throw in some Halibrand oval window spindle mounts for good measure.
    I may run the original 4 banger untill I can afford a blown flatty and a bunch of other tricks and parts I have stashed.
    I am sure I am leaving stuff off but I have a ways to go.
    I look forward to updating as I proceed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SORRY GUYS.. Switched servers and now have to figure out all my photos again!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  2. N8B

N8B

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  3. N8B

N8B

XXX place holder2 XXX

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bout damn time you got off your ass and did something productive in your new "compound". :D:D:D:D;)

Noting your plan as being a salt inspired car, when you say "haircut is undecided" I assume you're saying HOW MUCH of a haircut is undecided, right? Check out Kevin Lee's build if you haven't already, brotha! Also, Lucky Burton has a coupe you need to see as well, although it's channeled and not sitting on the rails.

Let me know if you need someone for work on your "special quickchange" project. Dave has been asking if you're still interested.

5. N8B

N8B

yeah. It took me awhile to get settled into the compound.

Because of the move I had been holding off on receiving those "things" we have talked about. I will finally get them Oct. 6th so the project can start then.

6. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are you avoiding the question on the "haircut"? :D

7. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

Nice looking Coupe, would be interested in hearing more about the blower motor.

Attached Files:

8. N8B

N8B

Nothing more than 3" unless I do a slight channel "inside" the frame rails to drop the seat.
    My 34 has 3" and its tight for me. I dont want anything to drastic. Im a simple guy. :)

9. erlomd

erlomd

its always good news to hear that another original hot rod is in the making...about that hair cut....I was staring at a 30 coupe at so cal speed shop (belive its called the DK Mystery coupe) and it has a 4" chop and looks very lakes inspired...beutiful car

[​IMG]

10. erlomd

erlomd

isnt that what the typical hot rod was back in the day? a model A body on duece rails...great combo!

11. N8B

N8B

I curently have a 21 stud in my shop I had planned on working over. I have been talking back and forth with a old friend to mount a nice little 371 or 471. He will do all the machining. We want to machine the base similar to how Navarro had been known to do getting rid of a lot of that base bulk and flow it into the block better.
    My buddy was around during that time and had experiences with him and is doing some special build work for Vesco now.

12. N8B

N8B

Get out of my head...DAMN!

13. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're just...

[​IMG]

:D:D

Since you're not channeling it, if you set up the seating position right, you should be able to do a heavy chop and still sit in it comfortably. If you're going to do a "lakes" inspired car you better get that roof down man. If you're just going to build an insane car with a blower and stuff, then 3" would be nice and proportional.

14. N8B

N8B

Ouch. Your not helping... :)

15. freebird101

freebird101

thats an awsome coupe

16. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

Boy oh boy Sctooer. You are not going to give the guy a break on the chop, are you. Not every one is as small as you. We all can not fit into small cars. :cool:

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's okay.... Nate can handle it! :D:D:D And dammit Paul... I just saw you fit into Dan's RPU the other day, sooooo.... ;)

18. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

xoxo! LOL!

19. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

You did not see me fit into it. You saw me sit in it and not be bale to close the door. I would not call that fitting into it. I fit as well into Dan's as I did in yours. The difference is I did not have to duck getting into Dan's.:D

20. N8B

N8B

Hahaha. I hope to have a bit more clearance with mine.
    I had the same issue with Scotts car. But maybe thats because I am old....and fat....
    Scott is a spry young man and can handle those ergonomics.
    I was actually very surprised, while sitting in his car, how much room and comfort he engineered in. He has done an acceptional job with that car.

21. Roadsterpu

Roadsterpu

I would agree, he has done an exceptional job on it. Lets just say that I am probbaly just a little bigger than you:p. It was pretty funny thoguh when he told me that a guy over 6 ft would fit in the easily and at 6ft my head was poking through the top.:D

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I changed the steering wheel to a 15" I think both of you guys could fit in it.... Maybe even at the SAME TIME! :D

Nate, what are you thinking about for a front end? Split bones, Heavy 32 axle??

23. N8B

N8B

Do I have to think that far ahead? :)

I actually have not decided yet. I am actually still thinking about the frame a bit and whats going to happen there. Remember my weird idea? Still checking that out.

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think this is a GRAND thread to ASK about your "weird idea", but that's just me.

25. N8B

N8B

Ahh but there all going to laugh at me.....LOL

Well I have access to a 34 truck frame. I also have a 34 pickup. So the only visual differences I can seem to find with the 32 frames or the like is the frame indent.
    I have been told that the main difference between the truck frames and the car frames is wheelbase. Still unsure as to what that distance difference is.
    Now I am well aware that this would not be a direct swap by any stretch of the imagination and much massaging would be reuired. Pinching the nose, maybe narrowing the whole frame through the X member, etc. etc.
    But i wonder if the extended wheel base (depending on how much it actual is) would play well into a salt car by allowing me to set the engine a bit back or would it mess with the porportions to much?
    Thats the idea.
    Open for comments.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  26. N8B

N8B

Well very little money causes very little progress plus I am waiting to find a good frame.
    At least I have a two year old at my disposal.
    I am teaching him how to work around the tools and I put him to work on the body. Never to youg to start!

Attached Files:

27. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you get your frame jig worked out??

28. N8B

N8B

Not yet. It's still in the planning stage.
    I have been working on still trying to get the shop set up in a good working flow. (and I have been doing a lot of clean up on the wifes 52 pickup.)
    I did started building a 2' x 10' (2"x3") rec tube welding/ all purpose table. I just have to save some coin because I want to do the top in 1/4 or 1/2" plate to mount my big vice and breaks on and have something substantal enough to bolt to.

29. billthx138

billthx138

30. N8B

N8B

Bill, I have been watching your build. Lookin very nice.
    I may just have to invite myself over and see it in person.