Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects So... Whos actively building a project as they're actively unemployed?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Sep 28, 2009.

1. geemann51

geemann51

Come November 1st, I join the ranks of the unemployed. Though finding a new "opportunity" ranks number one, number two will be to try to make some progress on my wifes 37 pick up. Obviously this will fall under the "more time, than money" category, so I was curious what some of of you are doing on the cheap.

I was particuraly impressed with Paulie's 10.00 dollar column installment on his build thread (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=275112&page=28&highlight=dreddybear), so along that vein, what are some of the "sub projects" y'all got going on that take more time than cabbage?

Please inspire me here, I could use the boost...

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

I'm building my 50

Attached Files:

3. resqd37Zep

resqd37Zep
    from Nor Cal

Unemployed as of Nov.1st. Still building the Caddy but picked up a little p/u to chop up.

Attached Files:

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Now is the time to call in all your favors from the buddys. We started a parts co-op. and a build list... No money Just dudes helpin Dudes. I'm in my truck 200 bucks.

5. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks dude, I'd rather do that than count the flowers on the wall....

6. I got laid off last week. Full steam ahead in my garage!

7. scrape

scrape

i built my car for less than $2000.... i sold my daily for a $1000,, and borowed my brothers truck to drive..... i bought the buick for $500 and a channeled it 6in over a 85 capice frame/floor(bought it for $300 running/driving).... the tires cost about $600,,, plus a few other odds and ends.... it gets close to 20mpg,,, with a stock 305and 200r...... and i drive it everyday every where....[​IMG]

Lil'Alb likes this.
  8. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sorry to hear that GeeMann. You gonna be able to make Pistons and Paint. If ya need a place to crash that weekend to save dough let me know.

9. jangleguy

jangleguy

Lost my job in july of 2008. Started on my '36 PU (Altered drag car project), then got panicky and sold most of my tools (very stoopid move!). Haven't done much on it since, except for lots of planning and window shopping, etc.
    I did change converters in my street car and have been driving it a lot (locally). But no money for racing. Being broke hasn't really slowed down my rodding activities though - see "Hitch Hiker's guide to Grassroots Motorsports" thread for details.

Anyway, here's the '36 cab, after narrowing it 20" and chopping it 8".

This just in: Tomorrow I go to Rookie Orientation for my new job! Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

10. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

I've been unemployed since the end of June.
    Still moving on my '27.
    It's going well, but hard to buy needed parts.
    Making due and working on things that don't cost much.

Norton

11. Cirelli

Cirelli
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Now is the time to get after the work that does not cost anything. All projects have a large amount of just pure old labor that will have to be done on them. Use what you have on hand & do all the things that don't cost anything. When you do get back on the payroll, you will be way ahead on your project.
    It has been my observation & personal experience that most people want to buy parts & items they will need to finish the car long before they actually need them. I guess buying is the fun part, however when the money is tight, do all the free things you can get done. It all has to be done sometime, might as well do it while you have more time than money to spend on it.

12. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

I have been unemployed since 12/28/08 and still going on the RPU pics on my profile..

13. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I went from actively employed for 30 years at the same grind to self employed. Does that count? Ive been working on this '50 chevy sedan delivery for the last several months. 401 nailhead powered. Took it on the first shake down cruise last week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. I was actively un-employed for 4 years and never stopped building. Granted I didn't get done what I would have liked to and had to peddle a lot of my most prized possesions but one thing that I must admit to; I had more time to fiddle with stuff while I wasn't working.

15. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

laid off for three weeks already and it looks like the plant will close,this will really put a stop to my project as i won't be able to use the machine shop anymore. working on what i'm able to though. :confused:

16. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

sorry to hear about all the guys here losing jobs. We have been cut time but I still have my job. I didn't think I could get paid less but they have managed to do it while giving the big cheeze at the top a raise to 200,000 a year...

Anyone guess... I'm teacher and have taken 2 pay cuts already with another scheduled in January. It is getting very hard to finish the A witha baby on the way and less money. and I am so close too.

and the wife graduated in may- and she works in an after school program... wow.

17. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I am.Been collecting unemployment for over a year.Doing the Hamb and Ebay classified and have been very successful selling my unwanted stuff and turning it into stuff I need .I only need one more part ,And that is it ,For both of my builds my 29 and 32 . I just hope this economy turns around soon.Im getting bored staying at home.

18. I Drag

I Drag

'58 Chevy project has slowed since I need a lot of parts for it.

I did a lot of work outfitting my box trailer with a side door, toilet stall, and cabinets made from plywood, and hardware from the Job-Lot store. Mostly labor.

I am starting the chassis for an FED, the tubing is just a couple hundred, and I already have the tools. Again, mostly labor.

Unemployed 14 months.

Also went to night college to get an accounting degree. Expensive, but it's an investment in my future, hopefully.

Unemployed is a good time to do bodywork on a project, that's mostly labor.

19. chop&drop

chop&drop

Hey Geemann,
    Sorry to hear about your situation, but it's good to have you back in Texas. If you need a hand sometime, give me a call - I'm not far away. I'm sure there's a lot you can do on the '37 "on the cheap".

As for a little "boost", cruise out to Mercury Charlie's this Saturday evening 6:00 - ??? for his Hot Rods & Honeys car show and party. I'm going to be there for the Gene Winfield class and plan to hang around for the get together.
    - Eric

20. Not unemployed just working part time only earned $9000.00 so far this year. I have been doing the things that cost nothing or very little. Been to hot and to many ticks and chiggers to do anything productive outside. Scrap prices are rising so im gonna reduce my hoard to a reasonable level and use part of the money for finishing a car or two. Will save the rest. Hate to be pessimistic but i just dont see things getting better in the near future? Anyhow us guys who can work with our hands will be Ok.:) OldWolf

21. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

man... I'm employed and STILL cant afford a project.

22. ive been out since april of this year go quite abit done up until august but not somucj since onf my A mod

23. rschilp

rschilp

Closed down the shop late last year, finished some projects early in the year, decompressed and took care of the kids for the summer.. all in all, no paycheck for almost 18 months.

Selling a bunch of the parts I don't need on here and craigslist and using the money to buy parts for my son's project, making good progress but doing it on the cheap, so far we are less then $500 into it, thinking another $1,000 will get the car done (tires and suspension stuff is expensive!)

I may have landed a job though, so the times of short money and lot's of time may be over.

24. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

Sold My 40 pickup...
    [​IMG]
    ...So I can work on my "A"...
    [​IMG]...and my 36... and start selling parts off.
    [​IMG]

25. Don't worry guys.

The "Hope & Change" should be kicking in any minute now.... :rolleyes:

JH

26. Kerry67

Kerry67

Man, I hate hearing about everyone getting laid off. They cut my hours by 20 percent for 6 months this year and now I am back to full time. No raises this year and it was the hourly people like myself who had to lose the hours while managment got to keep full pay and get a nice bonus on top of it, yet they tell us they can't do raises this year. Strange how that is, huh ???

27. Ive been unemployed since june.... sold off my 63 beetle, picked up my dodge, sold off enough crap to have enough cash to finish the dodge. now all I need to do is strt working on it.... Those unemployment checks are abot the same as what I was getting when I had a job, I cant complain..... All you guys working part time know that you can collect unemployment still right????

28. turdchazer

turdchazer
    Member Emeritus
    from Spokane

Have been going a few days working and a few days off, It's getting real slow in plumber land. sold my 76 VW westy so I could keep going on the model A. After evey bad there's a good:)

29. havi

havi

I built my new house (adjacent to where the old trailer house was) and was set to make the new higher mortgage payments and still work on my project F1 and Fairlane. That was just before things went South. Now it's just trying to make the new payment. Had the economy tanked before then, I could've still stayed in the trailer, and everything would be good. And the F1 probably would've been done.

So I've spent my time tearing down the trailer, thus taking a detour from the projects. At least disassembly is mostly free.

30. Jobe

Jobe
    from Austin, Tx

I am. Been out of work since middle of June. I've been selling alot of parts of my parts cars, spare parts, spare tools, crap around the house to make a little money to keep going on the project and pay my shop rent. Also been buying cars and reselling them or parting them out...but those you have to wait for just the right deal. It's doable, my wife is understanding that I need my shop time and project car. I have also been trying to do the little and free stuff that is more labor than anything...finally finishing up some patch work and moving to body work soon. I might have the caddy back on the road before I have a job! dammit...