Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gaskets... how do you get them to stay in place?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stevie Nash, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'm ready to put the oil pan back on my 350 Olds. Is there anything I can spray on the gasket to get it to "stick" in the right place so it doesn't move around during installation? I looked in the auto parts store and the help wasn't any help if you know what I mean...

2. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I like to brush on a thin application of Permatex's "Aviation Form-A-Gasket." It won't slip out and fuck up your engine like silicone will...

3. 3M spray adhesive. Better have em in place when you stick em down !!!>>>>.

4. 440shawn

440shawn

Hey bro, like tinman said, I use the same brush on stuff and get it held in place in a few places you will like it. Shawn

5. RDAH

RDAH
    from NL, WI

Get some thread and tie every other hole through the pan & gasket

6. I use Pernatex but I think 3M does make a spray adhesive for gaskets.

7. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Ok, so where do you buy this shit?

8. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

Agree with the Masses.... I use a Brush on Gasket Cement, on both sides of the Gasket.

9. Jimmy Tee

Jimmy Tee

I'ts a shelf item at all Spare Parts places here in Oz, I'd imagine it would be the same over there.

10. whid

whid

i like permatex brush on" high tack"...works well..................dave

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

I like to glue gaskets to one side and let them set up. Chose your poison (or adheasive).
    If it's tin, like an oil pan or a valve cover, use a bunch of clothespins to hold it in place while it sets up.

12. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

i use the high tack spray. and usally replace the 4 corner bolts with studs, so its easy to line it all up.

13. Iceberg460

Iceberg460

Copper Coat is the shit for this kind of stuff. Comes in a spray can at most parts stores. Kind of a contact cement/sealant. Use it all the time on the late model stuff at work. Clean and dry both parts and coat the sealing surfaces and both sides of the gasket. let it dry and stick the parts together. Just make sure you got it lined up right the first time.

14. 48ford

48ford

I'm 60 and remember my dad using thred from moms sewing kit. just tie the gasket to the pan. I'v did it myself lots of times.
    works like a champ.
    Russ

15. millersgarage

millersgarage

I do not know what the technical term for them is, but it is a plastic bolt like contraption that I got from fel-pro a while ago. You thread them into the holes in 4 places, snap the gasket over it, and then the pan over that. It holds every thing in place while you install the bolts.

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  17. Torque-Tube

Torque-Tube

I glue them to the oil pan side (and valve cover side), let it dry. Then use "HYLOMAR - HPF " (Permatex) on the engine side.

Quote from their package:
    "As a dressing it holds gaskets in place and allows for repositioning during assembly. Ensures easy disassembly even after long-term applications."

I've used it many times and it works well, and the gasket stays with the pan &/or cover.

As was stated above, replacing some bolts with studs makes it much easier to replace.

18. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

I always used to use yellow 3m sticks great. Most of what I have worked on are SBC so I always glued the pan gasket to the block and added some silicone at the 4 corners of the end seals.

19. Used Up Junk

Used Up Junk
    from Merced, CA

I got hooked on 3M spray trim adhesive a long time ago. Spray some on the gasket and let it tack up just a bit, drop the gasket on the offending part and reassemble. It's good stuff but be sure to clear out the nozzle after each use our a lot will go to waste. Later, Roger

20. kiwicowboy

kiwicowboy
    from linwood nc

I use 3M trim adhesive works greate.

21. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

I tried Permatex spray and it sucked. I got a recommendation for Indian Head brush on gasket adhesive from my pal BloodyKnuckles and it worked like a charm. I'd use it again in a heartbeat. It's on the shelf at Advance Auto Parts and is around $4. I'm sure the other big chains have it too.

22. wayneo856

wayneo856

once you bury them you shouldnt have a problem.last i knew it was 6' they had to be in the ground

23. Don't anybody use "yellow death" anymore? :eek:

24. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

All of the above mentioned will work...but I gotta say....if you plan on disassembling the parts any time in the future, don't use that Indian Head shellac. Seals GREAT, but doesn't come off easily!

25. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

I have had good luck with cork and rubber gaskets on valve covers and oil pans by using 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive on one side (I prefer pan or cover), then, once it's set up, I just grease the cork and bolt it down. Never any leaks.

26. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

One more vote for the good old tie them on with thread trick. Holds them in place while installing and no "Goop" problems when changing the next time.

27. Nobody uses Indian Head Gasket Shellac anymore?

28. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

I use it...similar as permatex aviation type.
    essentially known as coal tar. black, gooie, smells like dessenex shampoo.
    the indianhead i think used to dry out but when I use the permatex it doesn't get HARD hard, it just firms up a bit. What I like about it is it is oil resistant. Alcohol will get it off your fingers.
    I use it on oilpan, timing cover,water pumps, exhaust manifolds and intake seals for ZERO leaks NO weeping either. I use it as anti sieze and thread sealant.
    I coat both metal surfaces and both sides of the gasket. I let it tack up and assemble.
    Valve covers are tricky. especially if they need to be removable.
    On tin valve covers I glue the gaskets to the tin with the coal tar.
    I used to use just wheel bearing grease on the head side of the gasket to seal it but with cork it will weep. very little but enough to look leaky. I switched to putting a light film of silicon just enough to wet the cork if using a cork gasket.
    I still use grease if using a rubber gasket (grease on the head coal tar on the tin). it seals just the same as your oil filter gasket.
    using silicon on the front and rear intake rail gaskets has always left me with leaks. My brother swears by it and he has good luck but he replaces the intake rail gasket with silicon he does not use it with the intake rail gasket.
    He says the OEM grey silicon out performs the cheaper stuff

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  29. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]
    Gorilla snot!

We called it that because it was an ugly yellow when it first came out. As you can see, it now comes in black which I highly recommend.

Run a small bead around the gasket surface and apply the gasket while it is still liquid. Slide the gasket around to coat the gasket evenly. For pans and valve covers, I install all the bolts in the holes while it dries so that you know that they will line up after the bolts are removed and the cement is dry.

Sprays are fine for head gaskets but too messy for me on a small job like this. This is a contact cement also so you can apply it to both surfaces, let it dry and then apply the gasket but you better be accurate when you put the gasket on because it wont move around after it makes "contact".

I always clean and glue the gasket to the loose part first and then clean the engine surface while the glue sets up. By the time you get it ready the glue has set and you don't have to twiddle your thumbs waiting for it to set.

And if you are restoring a car it comes in handy for it's intended purpose of gluing rubber weather strip around doors and trunks.

Like Ernie, I too prefer cork gaskets. I glue the gasket to the loose part and then wipe a coating of Vaseline to the other side. The Vaseline prevents the cork from welding itself to the engine surface and allows many "off and ons" before a new gasket is required.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  30. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Nobody reads anymore?