Register now to get rid of these ads!

Watt's link info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Streetwerkz, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

Anyone have any info on a Watt's link?
    Purpose, design, blueprint/cad, adjust-ability, etc

I "think"[​IMG] I understand the basics, and think I may want to try it in my up coming Model A project.

I am leaning toward the style that mounts off the back of the housing, not on top

2. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

a fellow from another forum found this, and shared with me, figured I'd pass it along

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watt's_linkage

Amazingly technology from over 200 years ago still regarded as one of the best ways to set up lateral movement in a suspension!!

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

U might want to look up MUMPHORD LINK too. It is interesting.

4. Jimv

Jimv

See if you can find a total performance assembely book, they have one in detail in there
    JimV

5. a fellow member sent me this link when i asked this same question...going to run the watts link in my topolino..olds rear end i bought for it was set up at one time with a watts...bought a watts link off evil bay for $40 shipped...new in sealed plastic in the box from speedway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5fvPfReX3Q&feature=related

6. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Mumford. Here's a hot-rod application:
    [​IMG]
    It's a work in progress: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=374184

The advantage of the Mumford Link is that you have much more flexibility in locating the roll centre. Here I was aiming for close to ground level.

7. 3 extra joints, 2 extra moving linkage bars, 1 extra frame mount, and lots of extra weight.

More complicated and the geometry isn't perfect, in fact it likely worse than the standard panhard bar. Waste of time and effort.

8. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Late model Crown Vics have Watts linkage, it would be a cheap doner, it's mounted to the top of the 8.8 rear though, not the back.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

Depends on what you want to achieve ...

10. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

I have briefly touch's on the Mumford, but honestly still trying to take in everything I can about the watts link.
    However the little that I did read shows the Mumford to be an upgraded variation of a watts link... so it intrigues me also.

11. Jimv

Jimv

The watts link is used on a narrow frame as in a T bucket, on a model A frame go with the panhard! Its so simple & easy to adjust, works great, why look for complications & trouble.
    If i could convert my watts on my T over to a panhard i would, think i'll look into it!!lol
    JimV