Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects when you're wrong, you're wrong,,,,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kustom7777, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

my buddy vic dropped off a shoebox hood for me today...i was planning on cutting it up to use for the lower part of the boattail on the telstar. the hood is actually pretty nice, and vic mentioned it would be a shame to cut it up. i showed him the mocked up grille i am planning to use, and he liked the grille, but thought the front of the car looked a little too flat with the 56 lincoln hood section i had grafted in. i agreed that without the hooded headlights, it did indeed look too flat. he then suggested trying out the shoebox hood just to see if it looked better, and damn if he wasn't right.....without the hooded headlights, the lines of the stock hood DO work much better,,,,here's a few pics from today,,,,

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  2. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Hmmmmmm...how about a couple of side by side pics?

3. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

just how kool is this gonna be.......
    Paul

4. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

here ya go..

i think the shape of the hood also compliments the shape of the decklid better as well, since it is made from a section of a stock hood,,

Attached Files:

5. WallingfordHotRods

WallingfordHotRods
    from Seattle

stock hood looks good.

6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

It's not workin for me, Jim.
    I'm thinkin it's going to be too tall compared to the rear, especially if you put the rolled pan in there. It makes it look tall and narrow (shoebox)again.
    just MHO...FWIW. :)

7. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

two more,,,

Attached Files:

8. ol'skool29

ol'skool29

hey man your going backwards!!! ahah turning it back into a shoebox?!!?

the car is looking great!

9. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Lincoln gets my vote. Now lower it.

10. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

another view

Attached Files:

11. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am also liking the Lincoln hood better of the to choices .
    The shoe box hood is right back where you started from . :eek:
    How about a pic of the trunk ?

RetroJim

12. I couldn´t say if it works until I know what your plans are for the headlights. Something forward looking/leaning/bullet/hooded? As it is, its way too stock looking at the front now - blunt and rounded in violent contrast to the finned tail.

13. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

heres a better view where you can see the hood and deck at the same time,,,,the hood mimics the lines of the deck, because the deck is actually made from a hood piece,,

Attached Files:

14. t5stang91

t5stang91

too tall to me in the front

15. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

it was even more blunt before,,the hood adds back some of the curviness,,,,,heres the plan for the headlights:

Attached Files:

16. That would work. The nose needs added pointyness!

I didn´t mean the hood in itself looked blunt. I meant more the whole shape of the front of the car, as it is now.

17. Mild shoebox Kustom here we come.:D

18. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

looks perfect....matter of fact one of the coolest items on a shoebox is their hood. $.02

19. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

at one time i had considered grafting a stude hood section for just that reason,,,the shoebox hood does recover a little of that pointiness,,really hard to capture with the camera,,,,,im definitely no photographer,,,lol

20. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

next, ill put the roof back on, remove the wheel openings, cut the fins off, and unsection her..:D:D

21. I prefer the shoebox hood as well, but the nose looks a touch high. Perhaps pie cut the center like 1/2" to bring the very tip down but still keep the flow of the hood. Anyway, this is looking better and better.

22. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Seein that side view changed the way I was thinking. I like the way the peak in the hood works with the trunk...plus with the stock hood reminds us what the car used to actually be! :D:cool:

I like it, Jim...but then again, I'm falling right into your trap of changes...again!!:D

Your build is so frikin exciting to watch...thanks, bud!

23. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

yeah...like i said,,it's kinda hard to capture with a pic,,but in person, it's definitely an improvement

24. jerseymike

jerseymike

love the car and think your work is amazing. so by no means do i want to be negative. i think the side view and the rear view of the car are totally unrecognizable, one-off, full custom. however, by going back to the stock fender front sections and hood, from the front view of the car is definitly shoebox. i'm sure they'll be modified more but now the custom work on the rest of the car out weighs the design of the nose. i'm no one to judge your work but i think you may have taken a design step backwards. (would still kill for this car!) good luck, mike

25. They both really look right on the car, but with the mods, the Lincoln hood wins. Nice project!

26. mikhett

mikhett
    from jackson nj

Jim I vote for the shoebox hood, IT FLOWS! VIC RULES.

27. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

28. Kustom7777

Kustom7777
    from Austin, TX

i understand where you're coming from,,but i don't want to change it just to change it,,it has to flow well,,,i do have more tricks up my sleeve though,,,,it definitely won't totally resemble a shoebox nose by the time im done,,

29. jerseymike

jerseymike

yeah, i fully agree with "change for the sake of change" i guess what i meant was just all around balance. i'm sure you'll pull it off. mike