Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Extending hood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fred56, Sep 24, 2009.

1. fred56

fred56

I have a 28 Ford Coupe w/SBC and need to make the hood longer, does anyone have experience in this area and can guide me along?
    Thanks - Jerry
    The hood is fiberglas not steel.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

can you flip the firewall and move the block back?

3. Sounds like you didnt plan right and ended up with a longer gap than the stock hood? Build a hood from scratch then. Lots of tech here and in the magazines.

4. fred56

fred56

The firewall and block are where I want them. I was thinking of a new firewall and setting the motor back a couple of more inches but I would rather do the hood.

5. Then you are building a hood! Fun project, I look forward to it for my 29 Tudor.

6. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Thats the old trick, aka the firewall flip. how much longer do you need

7. fred56

fred56

The planning was fine but I shifted gears in the middle and went from a stock Model A size radiator to a cutdown radiator. I might just try the new hood idea.
    Thanks - Jerry

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Get yourself some fiberglass matt, some resin and get to work...

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I don't think you can flip the fire wall on a 28-29...........

10. Yeah, you cant really extend the stock hood, it will look like ass.

All you need is a piece of tin long enough and cut into a trapezoid shape, measure the stock hood at the back and add an inch to each side, do the same up front. You can bend it trial and error around a smooth sided post until the shape's right. The extra inch is so you can use a brake to fold it over to add some strength to it - it's optional, you can probably use some other means to do it, but it also gives you some fudge factor on getting the shape right.

I'm sure someone's going to read that and say WTF; I suggest they watch a DVD of the Overhaulin' Model A build - if that technique's good enough for Chip Foose it should be good enough for anyone.

11. odins701

odins701

you sure can!i watched a buddy do it to his. went quickly. tried it on my 30, but still wasn't enough room for a big block so i went with a new one. Still had to exten my hood 2.5" i think. Still have some hammer and dolly work. a work in progress. I was going to cut out the hinge and fill in with a new peice to get the shape i need but it worked out this way. added in a couple of hinge loops and put in a longer rod. if you need to extend more than that you'll probably need to cut out and add in to get the shape right. i think as much as i add is really pushing it. when you lengthen the hood it really throws off the proportions. Putting in a small block, you might want to reconsider reversing your fire wall and it will fit. your hood is in a very visible spot so there will be alot of work to get it right. But i am having fun getting mine dialed in. :D

Attached Files:

12. zzford

zzford

I've done this before. Make a template of the firewall and radiator ends. Make a female copy of those templates. Add a couple of stringers to connect the forms you just made. Of course the ends must be spaced to the length of your new hood. Make sure to put a couple of stringers along the hoods side edges so they will be straight. Lay in sheet metal, I used like 20 gauge. Then lay up your f'glass in the mold. Let it cure, disassemble the mold then trim the new hood's edges. Works great!

13. zzford

zzford

Like this...

Attached Files: