Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Somebody viewing this thread has gotta know how to access *this footage ... how bout it guys!

2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Bee On Video maybe?

3. 56 Pontiac I/SA

56 Pontiac I/SA
    from Maryland

Could 'bee' Doug.

Jim told me @ the York ('09) event, that he 'might' do a Junior Stock video in anticipation of the York US 30 (Junior Stock focused) 2010 event ...
    *Ken, you can contact nice-guy Jim Amos @ [email protected]

4. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

This thread just keeps getting better & better.:) Thanks to all the "real racers" (aka: old guys) who have joined and spoken up with real history. No single author could possibly collect this many accurate accounts of all the things that took place in those wars.

Since this IS the book, I hope someone has figured out how to save it all in case the internet disolves.:rolleyes::D

Verne:)

5. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

i tried and never found what i was looking for.and you KNOW somewhere out there it DOES exist!

Hey way i see it because of this thread i DID get to at least see 1 real run on an actual track of my ride!

:cool:

6. WagonKiller

WagonKiller
    BANNED

You are so right! Well said!

:cool:

7. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Marv's and John's Corvette was a 250 HP 283 (Hydraulic cam) FI with a P/G....I/SA. It was oiginally a 56 model but changed into a 57 (very minor trim such a rear view mirror, etc.

8. WGuy

WGuy
    from Central NJ

The published winner stats made (make) heros, but even if most were legit, there were so many others who's names never made the trades. They were disqualified for things the "winners" got away with, or they were on a budget and they broke. My hat's off to All of them. On any given day, circumstances could have made one or the other the winner.
    What wonderful days they were...........:)

9. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Colsey -
    I know you can find the pic I'm going to remind us about ---- I seem to recall that there was a pic somewhere of Dave Wren (missoula,MT)grenading/exploding his torquflite in a 64 hemi car on the starting line(i thought it occurred somewhere in texas in 67 shortly before the Nationals??) It was right after that explosion job that NHRA imposed the Neutral Start Ban and followed with that "infamous" sing beside the tree at INDY as seen in your photo. C'mon I know you can find this pic (and story) !!!
    Tweed

10. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

I believe it was Roger Lindemood in the "Color Me Gone" car that was going to show us all a sub-record run one night at Muncie Dragway. Left torqueflite parts and transmission fluid all over the starting line. This was just before the neutral start ban appeared. This was a S/S car, not a Jr. Stocker however.

John

11. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

See what happens when you get old? I think the memory goes first but I can't remember for sure.

So... where did that 12.20 I/S NHRA record come from that I was handicapped on?

12. Chuck Norton

Chuck Norton
    from Division 7

Jim,

Specific recollections are a hit-or-miss proposition these days for sure. If you can find a list of the national records for the late-1970/early '71 season, you'll know for sure. I still have a haunting memory of the name "Matthews and Bender" bouncing around in my head. Attached to that is the reference "Suffolk Raceway." 12.20 sounds about right for I/S at the time I ran my car in early '71.

I'm sure that someone on this thread will have the documentation but it has escaped my grasp for the time being.

c

13. Jimmy Parker

Jimmy Parker

Chuck, if I remember correctly Matthews and Bender had a '69 Chevelle 255 stick car and it ran I/S along about that time.

Jimmy

14. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

I dropped a note of to John Dianna (if its the same one at one of the current hot rod mags), to HoT Rod Magazine itself (hoping they can dig up the article I seem to remember) and to NHRA (fingers crossed there). Let's see what happens.

....The excitement builds. :)

Got hold of a Jan 71 Hot Rod mag with the Dianna/Ripes article. I should have it in a couple of days.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  15. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

OK I got the answer direct from Marv at A-1 performance now... He always ran an automatic in the Corvette.

SO, my memory is failing for sure. :)
    Thanks everyone. This has been fun. But now I am on the mission to find out just who DID reset the I/S to 12.20 in 1970.

16. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

Could have been this joker. Bill would run FI and 2 X 4bbl, plus swap the Powerglide for a 4 speed and run 4 classes. He always ran well, but I can't remember if he ever set a record.

[​IMG]

17. LAWAUTO

LAWAUTO

John,
    I have a Dec.11,1970 National Dragster that shows John Novak of Bethlehem,Pa with his 57 Vette set the I/S record in May,1970 at York,PA 12.23 @ 111.80.
    I'll post it as soon as I get my scanner back up and running.
    By the way the iron glide didn't change the class and an aluminum one was legal in a car with a cross member (57 conv and early Vettes).I later replaced that "anchor" with an aluminum one.
    Lou L.A.W.

18. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

I'm looking at the Oct. 1, 1971 ND. It shows the record for I/S at 12.20 held by John Novak from Bethlehem, Pa., set the record at York. Ripes held the I/SA (my class also) at 12.54 set in Fremont, CA. I just noticed he was from Van Nuys, that's where K/SA lives now.

John

19. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

I would love to see the photo of Willis Ragsdale's roadster under the arrow in the right side photo. That was a hard running roadster in it's day.

20. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Right before the Chevelle they had a 57 Corvette with a stick.

21. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

Bingo, Bingo , Bingo... Now we are talking. Thanks John. I guess it was 72 when I campainged my car. Any other details just when the record was set?
    I seem to remember that the 12.20 was set on a bet. Any truth there?
    Do we have any pics of Novak's car?
    Jim

22. Gary Glover

Gary Glover

A friend of mine Rick Coleman bought the Boertman Rod Shop Firebird in 1988 and I drove it from 1988 to 1992. I am sure Nikki can confirm this with her Dad.

23. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

As I worked tech with Marty Barratt in the 60s Farmer told me that the reason the chry trans were failing was because they leaving out bands and other parts that kept the transmissions together in normal use!One short story my opinion!! B M told everyone that a fuel injection hose came off? I think he was so used to beating everybody so much that he lost sight of me and let off too soon! At the first line start of the speed trapshe was about 1/2 car length ahead. At the E.T. line it was to close to callat the second speed trap or third line I was 1/2 to a car length ahead.I did not know I had won until he tryed to turn into the winners lane and was waved off. Talk about surprized!!!!!! My habit was to never let even if 1/8mile behind!old-old timerP.S Thanks for the Honorary Tiltle

24. Hoosier Hurricane

Hoosier Hurricane

Jim:

Better take back your Bingos, I misread the list. The 12.20 was set by Bill Cornelius in April at Suffolk, VA. He was from Christiana, DE, had a '58 Corvette. Novak held the speed record, 111.80, set at York in May. Maybe the 12.23/12.20 confusion happened if Novak set it at 12.23, so that got used as the record until a late arriving report from Suffolk caused it to be changed to 12.20? Sorry for the old timers senior moment.

John

25. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

26. Bob Rice

Bob Rice

Couple of George Cureton pics that I ran across tonight. I got side tracked Bill.........Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Cool pix, Bob. Thanks for posting.

Pete

28. K/SA

K/SA
    from california

[​IMG]

Jack Obert drove this Dodge wagon in K/SA during the ’71 season. Very competitive!

-Bob

29. What a neat car. Another rocket ship out of Dick Weinle's D&J Automotive in Cincy. Home of the Behemoth and many more.
    I was fortunate to get by this car in the first round of eliminations at the '72 Summernationals, in it's S/S configuration, as pictured.

30. Jim.Biron

Jim.Biron

Gotta love these old wagons.
    Anyone have a picture of Joe Kenny's 'Trick Tank' from Hopewell Junction, NY?

I also remember the white I/SA 66 Caprice wagon called 'Knock on Wood' that raced at Lebanon Valley, NY back in the day. Anyone remember who ran that car?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2009