Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Race cars, Kustoms and Classics Oh My! Rebel Run and Glenmoor Gathering show coverage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ChevyGirlRox, Sep 21, 2009.

1. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This past weekend there were two great shows in Ohio, the Rebel Run in Lima for the hot rod and kustom crowd and the Glenmoor Gathering in Canton for the concours lovers. I, being both, of course had to make both and I took some pictures to show my HAMB friends.

On Saturday morning I took off with some friends for the Rebel Run. It is held at the Allen County Fairgrounds near Lima, Ohio which is in the western part of the state near the Indiana border. The three or so hour drive there was uneventful, a beautiful day for a cruise.

I haven't been there for a few years and boy was I surprised! There were some amazing cars there, mainly customs with a few hot rods and newer muscle cars sprinkled in. There were all types of customs, old ones, new ones, traditional ones, ugly ones and some pretty nice ones. Here are a few of my favorites:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reminded me of B.O. and Denise
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm a major custom Corvette fan. I think it is more fascination than anything else....
    [​IMG]

And what would a show be without a van slam van? I'm telling you, they are making a comeback!
    [​IMG]

2. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Not too long after I got there the vintage races began. Needlless to say the car show was 'over' to me at that point :D I was pretty firmly planted for the next 3 or 4 hours there watching in amazement. The program was put on by the AARA, the vintage racing league ( http://www.antiqueautoracing.com/ ). They ran 3 classes of cars. Each had 2 heats and a feature. The guys racing these cars are NO spring chickens! Most are in their 60s and 70s and a couple are even over 80! The night before Gene Winfield even raced one of the cars!

Here are some pictures (when I remembered to take them)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

During the race I absolutely feel in love with the #20 car. Unfortunately it developed a mechanical problem and was not able to run the feature. I wanted to go see it right that minute but I waited until the racing was over to cross the track. At the end of the races they invited the crowd to check out the cars that had just raced.

The drivers were all really nice and willing to talk about their cars and racing. There was one guy racing that day, Bob McElroy, I've read about in the old 4 banger/midget racing books for years. It was cool to see him race and have the chance to meet him and chat for a bit.
    Bob's car (Bob is in the red and white firesuit)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  3. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

After I checked out the cars on track I made a beeline for the #20 pits. It was even better up close! Me being the shy person I am took no time in making best friends with the owner and getting to sit in it
    [​IMG]

It was last competively raced in 1949! It was built and raced by Leo Krasek of in Bensenville, IL. It was found in Portland, Oregon in the early 80s and the current owner has been racing it since the mid80s. It remains untouched, it is raced the way it was found! Turns out it is owned by a guy I was going to call to meet up with about building a banger not even a week ago!

About that time it was time to load it on the trailer so he let me 'drive' it on
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car has soooo many cool little details about it
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's like sitting in a time machine for sure. I really didn't want to ever get out of it. I would relate it to the time I sat in the Scorpion at the Hot Rod Reunion or the Old Crow at Bonneville, I just didn't ever want the moment to end. Like I said, I'm absolutely in love with the car and hope to figure out a way to own it in the future. We'll see how my karma plays out with the hot rod gods :D

4. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

By the time I peeled myself out of it everyone was heading out to dinner. While we were getting ready to go I was waiting by my friend's '59 Corvette a 'twin' drove right by!
    [​IMG]

At dinner that night I spotted this, a Chev with Corvette headlights and tail lights
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That night we hung out for the usual parking lot shenanigans then called it a late night.

The next morning we headed back over to the show. I had seen this Cadillac the day before, what a beauty!
    [​IMG]

The owner is from Georgia and has a TON (well, literally probably 400 tons) of old tin for sale. Here are some of the cars he is selling...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plus LOTS and LOTS more!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lots and lots of good projects there, if something tickles yourself give him a call (I took a pic of this because I always get PMs asking when I post stuff for sale )
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009

5. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

It was almost time to head for home but I snapped a few more photos. There weren't many cars there on Sunday. I think the threat of rain scared a lot of them straight home.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By then it was almost 11, with a three hour drive that would get me to the concours about 2, perfect timing to see the cars and hit the Sunday evening cruises.

6. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Teh 2009 Glenmoor Gathering

This year they featured '34 Ford coupes and the cars of Edsel Ford (www.glenmoorgathering.com). The '34 coupe class was nothing to sneeze at. I couldn't wait to see the Mooneyham and Sharp coupe!

One of the first displays I came across was a project a friend of mine had been working on, a boat trailer for a race boat behind a '32 roadster. What a hot set up!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

From that spot I could see the coupes so there was no stopping me now, what a great display!

It started off with a coupe recently built by Lobek's in Cleveland
    [​IMG]

And only got better!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There it was, the stuff hot rod dreams are made of, the Mooneyham and Sharp coupe!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Plus a couple other cars you may have heard of...

The Pierson coupe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The SoCal coupe
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Golden Nugget
    [​IMG]

And the former 'Ferguson' car
    [​IMG]

It was so great seeing those cars up close, what a hill of history!

I would have been happy with just seeing those but there was a whole field yet to see!
    [​IMG]

Including Edsel Ford's '34 speedster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And also Edsel's '32 speedster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

This 1930 Willy's just screamed class, what a great paint job!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or what about this 1933 Auburn with the very first sunroof?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I talked to the owner and found out the whole actual top can slide down behind the seat making it an instant convertible! And people think this technology is new?!?
    [​IMG]

A '52 Muntz, as many of you know a '50 Muntz is on my dream car list
    [​IMG]

This 1927 Hudson with a supercharger was really something too!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There were some vintage drag cars on the field too, Mike the Photo Guy I'm sure will post more pics of these (nice seeing you Mike and Bill!)
    [​IMG]

The Canton Classic Car Museum right down the block from my office brought out a couple of their cool cars too.
    How about a 1937 Packard flower car?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or a 1937 Packard Hearse with hand carved mahogany sides?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

I can't pass a Chrysler Town and Country without taking a picture, they are beautiful cars!
    [​IMG]

And a little Comete Monte Carlo powered by a French Ford Flathead. I used to drive a flathead powered '53 Comete that was a lot of fun
    [​IMG]

By that time the drive thru (where they get their awards) was over and the cars were beginning to leave. By all accounts I'd say it was another successful year. Each year the cars seem to get better and better.

Hope you've enjoyed my pictures, I definitely enjoyed my weekend!

10. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

nice pics, thanks

11. I think you had a good time there, thanks for the pictures of some really fine cars.
    Al

12. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Damn family commitments:(
    Looks like there were great cars at both events, I'm especially bummed I missed Glenmoor. Oh well, there's always next year. Thanks for posting the photos from both.:cool:

13. RalphyBoy161

RalphyBoy161

amazing...thanx for the pix!

14. Wow those are some great pics of some super nice cars !! And I might say that you look right at home in the old racer !!! >>>>.

15. Scott K

Scott K

Thanks Megan, what a fun weekend!!

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Whoa!!! How did I miss the Glenmoor Gathering??? What a great collection of cars and it was within driving distance!!! Fuck.

And where did this come from and how come I missed it until now???

[​IMG]

Great pics. I really can't believe I missed the opportunity to see those comp coupes all in the same area and within 6-8hr drive??

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Nice post.Great coverage with pix!

18. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I think you should rename this thread "Blonde beauty and neat old racer"---- Megan have you been able to take your own black Chevy to any events this year?

19. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I will be posting more shots on myspace.com/metzcraft in the Glenmoor Gathering folder as I finish editing them

Attached Files:

20. sololobo

sololobo

Megan, thanx for sharing this wonderful adventure. Wow, another great trip and never left the farm. Yer the best. ~Sololobo~

21. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

LOL :D I *heart* that race car!

The Chev has been out a lot this year, no big shows just the local cruise ins and stuff. I plan to take it to a big show in two weeks that usually gets about 1000 cars.

22. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

Great pictures, Love that blue 34, damn that is it! I'm sure you'll figure out a way to get #20!

23. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Wow to see the So Cal Coupe and the Pierson Brother Coupe in person must have been an amazing treat!

- Joe

24. [​IMG]
    you look right at home behind the wheel

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'm surprised they didn't push her all the way around the track! :D

26. thanks for posting pics of the rebel run i was heading up there to check it out (2 hour drive for me) but after only getting about 3 hours sleep i thought better of it oh well there is next year

27. 1950jax

1950jax
    BANNED

Thank you for posting the pix. I enjoyed viewing them one and all.:cool:

28. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

Oh trust me, I was lobbying for that :rolleyes::D

You missed a good time both places. I still can't get over how many great customs were at the Rebel Run. I would have at least 50-75 more HAMB friendly custom pics to post if I hadn't fallen in love with a race car that afternoon :rolleyes::eek::D

29. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow... some good stuff at both events! Thanks, Megan!

Malcolm

30. she sure looks ready to make a few laps around the track