Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1954 chevy pickup hydramatic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by idle_hour, Sep 21, 2009.

1. idle_hour

idle_hour
    from Nashville

I've recently inherited my dad's pickup truck. 1954 chevy with a hydramatic transmission. he had been restoring it and i've finally got it put back together and running. I've never seen an automatic this old and figured it was a 3 on the tree. dumb question, i can get it in gear forward, but cannot seem to find reverse. is there some trick to this? i may have some mechanical problems that i'm not aware of too. any guidance would be appreciated on this kind of truck.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It would be a 2-speed PowerGlide not a Hydramatic.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

GMC ran olds hydro's but i dont believe that year

4. Shift pattern on the early trans is usually N-D-L-R, later P-N-D-L-R, reverse wasn't moved to between Park and Neutral until the 60s.

5. tractorguy

tractorguy

1954 Chev pickup had an option available of a 4speed Hydramatic and they were very rare and very cool. Not sure, but as someone else has stated, some of the older Hydramatics had reverse all the way down to the right......were low would be on current automatics.

olscrounger likes this.
  6. MAC50

MAC50
    from Illinois

I pulled one out of a 1954 Chevy P>U> once and put it in my 57 Chev two door post with a 301 CI and 4:11 rear the thing screamed

olscrounger likes this.
  7. idle_hour

idle_hour
    from Nashville

my dad had the book with it, it shows N 1-4 1-3 1-2 R. From what i gather, it was an option for the year. the first for Chevy Trucks to have it. I can shift thru all 3 forward, but from what it shows me for R, nothing. thought there may be some trick there.

8. OldSub

OldSub
    Member Emeritus

'54 Chevy pickup would have the 4-speed Hyrdamatic.

As others have said reverse is all the way to the right. Is there a position at that end that doesn't do anything? If not you may just need to adjust the shifter.

I own a '54 GMC with a Hydramatic but have never worked on the transmission.

olscrounger likes this.
  9. dadsmad

dadsmad

i have one in a 56 pickup and reverse is all the way down where low would normally be. also another intresting fact about them is that you put in reverse when u park it and that holds it from rolling away

10. idle_hour

idle_hour
    from Nashville

thanks all, i'll check out the shifter/linkage then for adjustment there. post back later.

11. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

You have a dual range hydramatic and the shift quadrant is (left to right) N DR4 DR3 Lo R. R doubles as a parking gear with engine off. No reverse sounds like the reverse clutch apply or the clutch itself is the trouble. The reverse blocker valve may be stuck too. (This prevents reverse engagement above 15-20mph.

You might try draining all the fluid, including the coupling, and filling. See what happens then, you might get lucky and R comes back.

12. idle_hour

idle_hour
    from Nashville

all, it was a linkage problem on the steering column. the shifter linkage that bolts on to there was not on correctly. needed to be turned clockwise to allow the shifter to push it all the way back for reverse. adjusted that and its shifting correctly now.

Bob Lowry and olscrounger like this.
  13. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love it when the simple cures work! Enjoy the truck, the fact that it was your Dad's is cool!

14. post some pic's of your truck it sounds cool!

15. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

you willl love the hydramatic and the way it shifts.

16. Johnny Cruz

Johnny Cruz

I have the same type truck. Reverse is park with the motor running. Starts in neutral. & it is a Hydramatic Trans. It cost me 3500.00 to get rebuilt. Runs great.

17. Johnny Cruz

Johnny Cruz

If some has one of these trans for sale I would be interested. Has to be 54 p.u Hydramatic.they originally came mated with motor.

18. I need a 55 first series hydramatic if anyone has one..

19. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

I would like for some one to send me picts of the shift mech that is down at the steering box. I think I am missing some parts. Please send picts to dbk220s@yahoo,con This is for 1st series 55 pu with hydro Thanks Don

20. Why don't some people put their city and state in their postings ? They may find someone close to them that could / would help them.

Baumi and Budget36 like this.
  21. poco

poco
    from oklahoma

Sorry. yes i should have listed my location. I am in Okla, 15 miles north of Tulsa. dON