Register now to get rid of these ads!

Billetproof california?? How was it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bigguylilroof, Sep 19, 2009.

1. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

yea im w/ you on that im not going to give up after 12 years. PBJ

2. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

hey big d'' missed ya this dangit'' pbj

3. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

I went yesterday....got in the gate just after 8am, had a good time, saw some friends, it was mellower compaired to last year ,let my 5 yr. old take the majority of pictures that were taken,...was on the road home by 1:30pm.
    Brian.

4. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

No Kidding Jay, this was probably the first time in 12 years I missed at BP.....hope your well man!!!

Dirty

5. Barn-core

Barn-core

Something did feel a little different about this year,not that it was anything bad, but I can't quite put my finger on it. IMO it's still one of the better shows out there to attend, and I'll be there next year.

6. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

YO IM GETTING HITCHED NEXT SATURDAY, AND WER GOING TO THE JOE BAILONS CAR SHOW THE NEXT DAY IN OUR DUDS, :eek:

7. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

So did anybody go today,??

8. Big Dirty

Big Dirty

Congrats Man!!!! I did the deed a month ago in Maui!!!!

9. JUSTJAY

JUSTJAY
    from LEFT COAST

thanx hommie, yea we are going to mexico, after the nsra show at calexpo, my work is doing a big booth w/ air ride tech.

10. brewsir

brewsir

Unfortunately yes.....we did a trophy and I thought I should be there to help pick the winner and be an idiot on the microphone (never let me on the mike!!! especially after a few beers) Anyway..I really hope they go back to one day. I would say maybe 1/3 of the cars from yesterday were there and many left by 1 or 2 because it was fucking hot in Antioch!!!!! Next year I will just do one day.

11. 49SUPER6

49SUPER6

I went today only because I had to work yesterday. I about shit when I pulled in and there was nobody and I mean nobody there. They slowly came in. The only good thing is that if you wanted something to eat or buy something from a vendor there was no lines.

12. Yep!!

I agree with the other guys that said something is missing from the show now. It was weird not being able to hear the music too....I wonder if that's why it seemed so mellow?

There were some serious ABORTIONS that made it through the gates. I can understand letting the disc brakes on open-wheeled cars slide here and there, but uncovered Camaro clips and pro-street trucks??

There were also some bad-ass cars...Rudy's Zephyr looked great with the new paint.....

[​IMG]

Overall, I had a great time....but I always do when I hang with my friends. It would be nice to see this show re-focus on what made it so successful in the past. Bigger is not always better....

Bryan

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  13. karfer67

karfer67

i know why it was tame I WAS NOT THERE!!!!!!!!!!! but all kidding aside i agree that most of the local shows are becoming more tame but there is a reason for that. it seems out here in ca shows are much more policed and i dont think it is because the organizers want it that way it is because if something happens they are screwed. lets face it if someone hits someone the show would probably get closed down. i watch the burnout videos from the florida show every year and think and wish they would do that here but the legal guys in ca would never let that sort of thing happen. oh well i say be happy u can go to a show and see this many traditonal cars in one place see folks that u dont see other times of the year and just have fun. if u dont want to go dont go and hey the NSRA show is comming to sacto soon now there is a boring show lol. but on the good side i hear there will be tether car racing

14. bigguylilroof

bigguylilroof

i don't mean for it to come off as a complaint!! i just like everyone else, just want to know why it has changed?? still love the show, still like going, etc, i guess we all should be so lucky to still have shows to attend this day in age!! thanks for all the input boys and girls!!

15. seret

seret

[QUOTE (never let me on the mike!!! especially after a few beers) QUOTE]
    I'll try to keep you of Mike, but who knows, he might like it. ooohhhh you ment mic. never mind;)

16. scottychoptop

scottychoptop
    from benicia,ca

Great show. Thanks to Alex Gambino and crew for picking my car and thanks to the Dragoons. Nite of the Hot Rods is still the best show. Scotty and The Villainz

17. Hanging out at the show with the rest of us, having fun & handing out flyers for the art show next month....

18. brewsir

brewsir

Damn I knew something was wrong with that!

19. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

this car is fn rad!man i know exactly what you are talkin about though on the uncovered clip car it was near the entrance huh?that thing hurt me.my buddy thinks the pro street guy next to me left because people were laughing at him too.(his truck looked built well just in the wrong place i guess)to each his own........
    Bryan your car looks great glad i got to see it.

20. voodooblackcat

voodooblackcat
    from Pacheco

I wanted to say thanks to the Dragoons, for their first year hosting this show I think they did a kick ass job!

21. rocket8

rocket8
    from antioch CA

could have never done it without you guys. again...thank you!

it sucks some of you diddnt have such a blast, but i suppose we cant please everyone in the world. but thanks for the words either way you wanna put it, it really gives us a good gauge on things we can work for next year.

(this show is kinda like any car build fellas, you cant give up on it and be a quitter, you plex and work on it to build something better;). im no quitter, and we'll try to build something better for next years show)

22. We need more pics.

23. Hunter Bender

Hunter Bender

we had a great time. the show has changed, but everything changes....i've noticed that the quality of the cars and trucks has improved. don't get me wrong, i like the rat cars, but it's nice to see compleated cars for a change. and thank's to alan for a good show and a trophy. wish the caddy didn't break down last night so it could of been there for the awards.

Attached Files:

24. Choptop

Choptop

I dont get this, you get ahold of me to make sure your club has a special parking spot, I tell you its fine and ya'll can have the spot you like and do whatever kind of set up you like and yet it's "impersonal"?

Jap bikes and VW's have never been excluded from Billetproof.

if you have a hot pre-64 hot rod Datsun, bring it. Nothing about Billetproof or traditional hot rods says anything about "American Only". Anglia anyone? How about a Ducati? Moto Guzzi? Triumph? Dual Ghia?... the list goes on and on.

We wont even get into the "lots" of rat rods thing. Everyone sees what they like and will quantify it differently. Some see 20 rat rods out of 1000 cars and think its "lots".

Year #2 was not the same as year #1. Its grown, it will never be what it was 13 years ago. Hell, we arent the same people we were 13 years ago. :confused:

25. Choptop

Choptop

some has taken over the show that has continued the tradition and not screwed it up.

cripes, all the promoter does is rent the fairgrounds, the rules havent changed, the enforcement hasnt changed, the rest is up to ya'll.

26. Choptop

Choptop

so y'all know that KIRK! has been involved in the show for the couple of years right? did you miss him giving out the best of show award 2 years ago, or getting the best of show away last year or showing his newest in progress creation this year?

hate to tell ya'll... nothing about the show has changed..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  27. Choptop

Choptop

2 day shows....ya know the 2nd day is smaller than the first. Its universal.

Look at it this way... for all of those that go on and on about how Billetproof was so much better when it was smaller...... COME ON SUNDAY.

instead of 1000 cool hot rods and customs to look at, there were only 350 to look at.... just like the "good old days" ;):D

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  28. Well said Choptop.

29. sledish

sledish

Choptop, You are never, ever, ever, ever going to make everybody happy, but you know that. The show has a different feel to it every year and that's fine. The only things I would suggest is bring the bands back around to the middle of the park so that everyone can hear them. and consider going back to a one day show. Me and my friends will totally be back next year. Just my 2 cents.

30. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is there a cutoff year for bikes? ..... I have a 70 BMW kinda cafe style.

VW's. that's my only gripe. I sure would hate them to multiply. I didn't go this year due to circumstances beyond my control, but I really enjoy this show and don't plan on missing any more if I can help it.

so how did the 2 day deal work out? will that be the norm from now on?

I actually had a 65 Datsun Pickup several years back. if I ever get another one I'll be sure to bring it... like the guys who used to bring thier 53 chevy trucks to pre49 shows. anything earlier is hard to find since they didn't get serious about importing them til 65.