Register now to get rid of these ads!

wheelie help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by american opel, Sep 20, 2009.

1. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

im looking for some advise on how to get my car to pull both tires off the ground even.it has leaf springs and a single {gasser}bar on the bottom of the rearend.when i do a burnout it will lift them up equally but when i leave off the brake it always pulls the driverside up more than the pass.the front of the car is 2x4 box and the back{rear crossmember}is stock.i cant really tie in the cage to the front{funnycar style cage}should i try to put more tension on pass.side bar?hopefully pics.help

Attached Files:

2. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

also i set my wheelie bars at 5'' on drivers side and 4.5'' on pass side which seemed to help some.

3. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

that thing is killer ..

4. DEEPNHOCK

DEEPNHOCK

Try sitting in the drivers seat!
    Setting in th middle takes too much weight off the LHS...
    Sheesh... You'ze ferrin car guys are sooooo slow on the uptake :p
    Jeff:cool:

5. Judd

Judd

If it runs down the track strait I don't see your problem? If your just worried about how it looks believe me tons of folks on here would love to look that bad on launch!!!

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

it does run down the track straight.thats one of the reasons im afraid to tighten up the pass.side bar.

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

all of the wheelies except the bottom left two are from my burnout.

8. skwurl

skwurl

I woould leave it be if it goes straight. If its lokks you're worried about. I think it looks cooel when one is all twisted up off the line.

9. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I agree with Judd. If the car launches straight, leave it alone. It looks cool leaving the line just like it is!

10. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i know i messed up when i desided to be a backseat driver but i though it would give me more room in the car.then i had to go and set the motor back too far {3'' driveshaft}and now i have to be all bunched up just to hit the gas and brake.

11. wannadrag

wannadrag
    from WI

Looks cool as is,if it goes straight dont mess with it.

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

thanks!!it just feels like the car is going to twist in half when i leave.also the pass wheel is getting pretty close to hitting!!a guy at thompson said to put a swaybar in it.has anyone done this?any pics?

13. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

If you don't mind a little advice, I would suggest that when you come out of the water during your burnout, you lift off the gas pedal before the tires hook. You could damage your torque converter doing what you are now. Going from a free wheeling state to a dry hook shocks the converter much harder than a trans-brake launch. Just my 2 cents.

14. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

glad you guys like it so heres some more pics.

Attached Files:

15. CarCrazy2619

CarCrazy2619

What you have is torque! It's your frame that is twisting. I can't see in the pic's what type of cage you have. Usually, you'll have 2 forward bars from the main hoop (must be located within 6" at the shoulder) and tie in to the frame or floor (6" x 6" plate welded to floor) by your feet. Keep adding support bars (forward of driver's seat) until the frame is rigid enough. Keep in mind that triangular shapes are the strongest. You'll probably end up with a full cage and forward struts. Best to tie in the forward struts from the frame to mid way on the strut. Your 60' times will be better when you eliminate the flexing. I'm putting a 20 pt cage in my 67 Camaro. Looking to do low 8's at 5600' elevation. That's like running low 7's at CT Dragway.

16. fitzee

fitzee

By the look of the right side door window,the frame seem to flex alot. I would tie the front frame into the cage.seems the engine is tring to twist the car around. But you say you can`t,why? Don`t know if you can X the cage by the fire wall. How many point cage is in it? Oh by the way I think it looks cool all the same. Neat car.

17. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I see what you mean about your wheel wheel opening almost hitting the tire. If you have coil-overs, you might try jacking up that side. Might affect the launch straightness, though. Or raise both sides?

18. CarCrazy2619

CarCrazy2619

After looking at the additional pic's. A aftermarket sway bar will help. Might be only thing needed. Forward struts wouldn't hurt.

19. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

this year is the first in three that i started to do burnouts.there is actually no reason for me to do them except for show.after 2 years of racing{about 60 passes}the slicks still had the tits on them.also the prob.with letting of the gas is i dont have front brakes so if i dont get them to hook they are still wet and i spin off the line!!i did start to do my burnout in 2nd gear and they wernt so bad but it also wasnt as fun!!my car isnt the most popular car for the race fans so i like to at least give them a nice show and have got alot of complements on it lately because of my burnouts so im not sure what to do.

20. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

it is a funnycar style cage.and there is no way to get any bars forward unless i try to make a halo.i do have a cross bar right at my feet that is con.to the cage with smaller bars going forward to the front raiator support.

21. Frige

Frige

If you want more adjustability you will have to update your suspention. A nice ladder bar set up or even better a 4 link. Put in coil overs, a wishbone and a antiroll and your set. You can dail in the way you want to leave. Also a bit more power. ;)

22. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

the window mount broke and i tryed to fix it with some flatstock but it wont hold at the top end so i just left it tweeked out.it is a 10 point cage.ill go outside now and take some pics.thanks

23. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

first, stop caring what anybody thinks.
    then put some front brakes on the car.
    then just keep driving it and enjoying it for yourself and it won't matter that it pulls unevenly when it launches. LOTS of cars do that.

24. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

some pics of cage.all thickwall dom and tig welded.and for one of the questions it doesnt have coilovers in the rear its leafsprings.

Attached Files:

25. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

some more and some of drag bar.

Attached Files:

26. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

its not that i care what people think of me or my car but it is nice to get complements from people.i cant put front brakes on it with my old mag.spindelmount rims.i could put brakes on and change rims but i like the way it looks with the old rims!!i also dont care that it looks crooked on the launch its just i would like it to pick them up even without sackraficing the car going straight.

27. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

thanks!!!

28. CarCrazy2619

CarCrazy2619

If the frame isn't flexing then all you need is a aftermarket anti-sway bar. You can get one from Jeg's or Summit. I'm new to H.A.M.B. If there's a sponsor who sell these go to them first. The car is definitely hooking up. As for the burnout, don't worry about your converter. The doesn't look heavy enough to be an issue. If she's gonna go it's gonna go. Burnout or starting line it doesn't make a difference. Drive shaft,u-joints,axles and trans part will go before the converter. Let the car go freely coming out of the burnout. Don't hold the car back when the tires grab. That will put a lot of stress on the drive train. The inertia of the rotating mass will be absorb by moving the car forward instead of transferring it back through through the drive train. None the less the car looks great lifting the front end up. What's your times/mph?

29. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

thanks!the car weights 2237.almost with alittle over 900lbs on the front tires.times are usually 11.60-11.70 at 114-118.it has gone 11.37 last year.i changed the heads this year from 58cc to 50cc and have been trying to get it back down to the .30s but to no availe.thanks and im glad you like it.

30. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Daddy always said,"If you're gonna be ugly, you gotta be tough". Er sumthin' like that. Damn, that's tough as nails.