Register now to get rid of these ads!

studebaker chop ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by triumphtony, Sep 19, 2009.

1. triumphtony

triumphtony

I am getting ready to chop the roof on my 49 studebaker truck
    does anyone have helpful tips tricks or pics of one being chopped
    any help or advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Tony
    Picture 055.jpg

2. Yes, I can help you.
    Use the search button at the top of the page.

abe lugo likes this.
  3. Wicked50

Wicked50

Measure twice cut once

4. skwurl

skwurl

Don't eat yellow snow

5. triumphtony

triumphtony

WOW thanks guys you are a big help! the search button like i did not try that first

6. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That thing s going to be like trying to chop an egg!! You will have to cut the roof in half side to side and lengthen it once the posts are cut, or you could lay the A piller posts back, but they already have a good lean to them. You might also have to cut the roof in half lengthways too to make it wider. Do your chop on the back under the window and not through the window opening, it's already small enough. Brace the body every which way on the inside before you cut anything, also make sure the door openings are good and the doors don't sag before you cut. Save the pieces from the door window openings, you'll be needing them to add to the length of the door top. Take the glass out of the door before you chop. Wear your safety glasses and gloves.

7. 40chevythrowensparks

40chevythrowensparks

dont take wooden nickles.... i would cut below the rear window... just take your time and measure measure measure...

8. I have chopped 4 of these cabs. The best tip is to cut below the rear window, not through it. The roof gets split across the center from door top to door top and add a filler strip to fill the gap. The picture shows where the relief cuts were made to align the posts. Pretty basic chop but still alot of work, have fun!

[​IMG]

Cosmo50 likes this.
  9. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

Since this is apperently not covered on here before for the Stude truck, be the first. Take lots of pics and post it as a tech thread, then the next guy that searches for it wont get harrassed.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  10. triumphtony

triumphtony

Thanks kev
    i was not sure if i would have to split the top or just lay back the a pilers

11. mongo51

mongo51

Hey Kev do you have any more detailed pics. Hey how do you chop that fat ass guy in the pic.lol

12. dont you just love how helpful some of these high and mighty pricks are

13. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Tony,

You could lay back the A-Pillars with a wedge cut, for a "Lakes Style Chop"! What direction you go with your chop will have alot to do with your idea of what the finished chop will look like. The idea of adding a filler strip running through the center of the top panel is another method, although not my favorite, it does answer for where to add necessary metal when the top gets lengthened.

Consider this as a possible method to chop your top: Treat all of the posts, the two As & two Bs, as independent members of the chop design. The center of the top panel does NOT get cut through the middle, but what trimming or filler metal necessary is added to the outer edges of the panel in the areas of the Header rail, the Cant rails & the Backlight rail. This method allows you to keep all of your necessary cuts and welds within easy reach of all the window openings. Also, come time to shape , hammerweld & dress your welds, they're all within easy reach; ever try to hammerweld through the center of a low crowned/flat roof panel? Even if you're a "squirtgun-tack" & mud kinda builder, this method is easier on the arms and back.

Swankey Devils C.C.
    " All great truths begin as blasphemies"

14. triumphtony

triumphtony

I ordered a video from ron covell today this may help also

this is what i want the top to look like when done
    radtrks.jpg
    i have seen this truck at alot of shows it was built in the 50s or 60s and i love the way the top looks
    thanks for the help

15. triumphtony

triumphtony

well i when ahead and cut it may not be correct but it look ok so far lots of welding and reshaping to do
    here it is so far
    100409_1849[00].jpg

100409_1850[00].jpg

Picture 014.jpg

Picture 016.jpg

16. bonustoolkit

bonustoolkit

I know this is an old discussion.

Did you finish this, give up, sell it......?

17. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

Measure once, cuss twice!

18. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have a buddy who chop one of these, with two roof sections so that he could not have to weld miles of metal. It came out OK, a little to heavy but OK. But the funny part is that when he spent $5,000. dollars to buy the truck, his wife took one look at it and said, I am not really impress but as long as you can drive it to work I am OK with it. About a month later the truck is on her side of the garage with a top on the floor in the other bay. The wife came home from work and open up the garage door, after a quick look said, you better get that stuff out of my way and you better hope that it is not raining tomorrow.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

"Well, I went ahead and cut it, may not be correct but it looks okay so far. Lots of welding and reshaping to do."

I might be thinking Roadster Pickup at that point.

21. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

C'mon, Bro, You can do it! And all that work will be well worth the effort when it's done... those Stude trucks look really cool chopped! Hmmm... I think I'm gonna do mine... after the '32 sedan is done...