Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help make this car cool BIG CHALLENGE

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by murfman, Sep 18, 2009.

1. dartracer

dartracer

I woulgn't touch it, maybe some Chrysler wires thats it.

2. motorhead711

motorhead711

I dig the car the way it is. Lower it a bit, that's all I would do with it man.

3. moparjack44

moparjack44

Amen !!

4. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Drop the rear a couple inches, could go either way on the visor (it looks good on that car but removing it gets away from the "restored" look). Darker colors make cars look smaller, nose and deck it (rest of the trim stays), and call it good. Oh and build that 440 into a firebreather for the ultimate sleeper.

5. twofosho

twofosho

Ditto on the wires, forget all the rest. Again, why screw up a nice car. If you really want to do something to it, break out the garden hose and wash mitt followed by a little paste wax.

I guarantee when you're done, you'll feel like you've done something!

6. Billybobdad

Billybobdad

Bingo!

7. CARCUTTER

CARCUTTER
    from MASS

what a dick... chop the car, it will look awesome. some guy did a chop on one of these and put the whole thing on Utube if you search it you'll find it.

8. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

no the only chop you could do to make it really worth doing would be with a completely different roof,,that is the only way the proportions to teh front end could even look close to right

9. The question I have, is what does your Dad want? It is his car, and if he runs it that much, sounds like he likes the car.

Doug

10. My 2 euro cents. The bumper needs to be pulled in closer to the body. I also pancaked the hood and rounded the nose some. Chrysler wires and fat ass whitewalls finish it off.

[​IMG]

11. Gigantor

Gigantor

Kool James D - Little Wing might have the right idea with a totally different roof, your rendering looks a lot like a 49-54 Chevy sedan's roof.

12. Ata girl Cheyenne....

You have one of the best "sleepers" on the HAMB in that Chrysler. Don't mess with at all. Just have fun whipin' the kids at the traffic lights.

13. Yeah, I should probably admit to having `chopped the hell out of it to get it to look like that! Can´t help thinking that a different roof might make life easier. Although with enough pie cuts, anything could be possible!!

14. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

A 50 or so Hudson roof ,,or some sloping type roof section,,that I feel is wat ya need if you must chop it,,plus you'll have a unique look

15. Gigantor

Gigantor

Yeah, the more I saw this car chopped and messed with, the more it screamed Hudson... especially with the skirts on.

16. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Look at the trees behind the car, you might notice they don't have any leaves? That probably means it's fall or winter time when the temp is cool or maybe even cold? It might actually be an indication of a well running motor, combining the H with the O2 and thus creating H2O vapor? :p

17. dawg

dawg

yea, a Hudson roof and blend the decklid, that pancaked hood is perfect...

18. john walker

john walker

looks good as is, but...that roof could be moved forward without much effort and you could have a 3 window coupe that never was.

19. rixrex

rixrex

Lower it and drive it seems to be the majority..it is a good lookin car..back when, one of my drivers was a 50 Dodge Coronet 4D Deluxe w/Gyromatic, lowered, slightly lower in front, WWs, kept the visor and full caps, changed to 12V for decent tuneage...you got the 440! what else?

20. 4woody

4woody

I like it fine how it is, but if you must change it, I've always liked how this '51 was done. Especially the front end:

Attached Files:

21. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

Hack it up, its not cool at all the way it is now. Torch the springs, flat black paint, krylon flames, coat hanger chop, paint or ditch the chrome, eight straight pips out the hood, coon tails, N50-15s...

Just kidding, I would NOT change a thing on it that could not be easily changed back. A wheel change perhaps, thats about it. Great car!

How did you guys hook up the OD transmission to the engine?
    :cool:

22. maybe one of these?

[​IMG]

SMR transimissions have Big Block to small block trans adapters, from putting 904's behind Hemis in super stockers

http://www.smrtrans.com/

I'm sure a bunch more companies make them as well.

23. ricky from va

ricky from va

that 50 is cool 440 alone has a cool factor plus 10. loose the viser maybe

24. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

Don't touch it. Just drive it like it is.

25. SteadyT

SteadyT

Shouldn't be much of a challenge, she looks perfect as is.

26. Ice man

Ice man

Leave it alone, why mess up a nice car. Find some rag, and do stuff to it, But LEAVE that one ALONE. Iceman

27. RodStRace

RodStRace

I really like it as-is, but the one thing that struck me is the wheel/tire combo.
    They look a bit small (a common Mopar problem).
    I'd go with a set of Chrysler wires, and a big set of WWWs. Try for something that is at least 3, preferably 4 inches taller. You would probably have to lower it 2 inches so it has the same ground clearance, but it would take it to another level.

28. The things fine.Look at other mopars,a 50 dodge coronet has a sportier look may bolt on.Stripe it, put on a hagen lite kit or 57 ford lite rings to take away the slab look Extend and french.

29. murfman

murfman

That is what I was thinking right there. I like the front and rear MUCH better with the cleaned / tucked bumpers, and a small chop gets the roof where it should have been originally. Thanks for the Ideas. My only other thought is laying the rear window a bit forward, as the roof looks a little "Fat" in the back.

30. murfman

murfman

I cut off the bell housing, and used an Utrabell bell housing that bolts to the front pump housing bolts. It took a little work, the torque converter hit the bolts that mounted the bell housing to the pump, so we counter bored the casting and used allen head cap screws, and had to do a little clearance grinding on the bell as well. It was definately worth it. The car is running a Dana 44 from a 1980 International scout. It is the same width as the original rear, and has the same 5 on 5 1/2" Bolt pattern. The 3.73 gears were a little too much on the highway with the 727 trans, now its just right, and cruises @ 70 very nicely.