Register now to get rid of these ads!

U-Haul trailer question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RacinGator, Sep 16, 2009.

1. This is when I picked up my 64 Fairlane. Worked fine.

Attached Files:

2. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

No. All of our Auto Transports feature the same bed length (12' 4"), but the later galvanized ones DO feature a higher GVWR (7.5k lbs) vs the orange ones (6k lbs.)

3. 18n57

18n57

Don't know about whether the vehicle fits on the trailer or not, BUT, the last time I used one of their trailers I said yes to the optional insurance coverage. (It wasn't very much) The trailered pickup's running boards TORE UP the plactic trailer fenders during the trip, didn't cost me another dime! I think the insurance was worth the cost.................my .02

4. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Trust me, Tinman is a U-Haul Expert. Yes, I agree it (22 years of U-Haul Repair Management) should cover it as well.

5. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

If it had plastic fenders it was a U-Haul 2 wheel Tow Dolly. You want to use the four wheel Auto Transport. And, yes the Safemove is your best option.

6. Eracer

Eracer
    from Wisconsin

Thanks for the pictures guys. Those make great screen savers at the office.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Thanks for the clarification. Knew there was something different, since they specified the galvanized unit when renting for bigger vehicles.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

No problem! John Smith

9. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

Amanda Hugginkiss :D:D:D

[​IMG]

10. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Just remember the Uhauls have surge brakes, so they won't back up if you are going up even a slight hill. Suposedly there is a way to diable it for that purpose but the last one I got it didn't work. Wouldn't even go up a slight driveway slope without locking up the tires.

11. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

U haul sucks.. I rented a trailer for a 56 crown vic ... Got 20 minutes down the road the rear shackles broke the axle slid back and lock itself to the fenders... Tons SMOKE and a blown out tire sitting along the freeway. I call the 1-800 Bullshit number only to find out I am in the wrong for hauling a 56 ford... I left the trailer on the side of the road and had a flatbed haul the car home.... I canceled my credit card so U haul could not charge me for getting the trailer back.

Long story short.... U haul has a shitty reputation for maintaining their equipment. Look at all the trucks they rent..

12. Brahm

Brahm

I just hauled my '29 buick 400+ Miles on a uhaul..she tracked kinda funny. Next time around I'm just going to pay somebody else to haul it after uhual and gas it was about the same as it would have costed me to have someone else deal with it.

13. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

My experience with U-Haul was good I rented the truck and trailer as a package and picked up the engine, tranny and other parts on the way home from Oklahoma. I kept it an extra two weeks do to take care of a work problem (had to stay over in CA for two weeks). Called U-Haul and told them. When I go home and turned the truck and trailer in U-Haul had lost the paper work on the truck and trailer and only charged me the original fee, no cost for the extra two weeks. No Complaints

14. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

We have hauled a couple on them, 64 chevelle, 64 plymouth, and by the way
    they rented to my son in law with his short bed 1/2 ton chevy truck.

15. Truckedup

Truckedup

16. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I towed my 55 Chevy from Tx to Ma on a U Haul trailer with an 04 Silverado 250HD. Told them what I was towing, they didn`t care. Didn`t have any problems at all, 65-75 mph.

17. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Tinman, The one the wheels almost came off of was EMPTY!! The bearings (what was left of them) were DRY and RUSTY!!

18. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

There's an internal spring on our surge brakes for this exact reason. How steep of a driveway are we talking? What kind of trailer and what were you towing? Weight and your steady right foot have a lot to do with the functional aspect of backing any braked trailer...

19. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

#1) You're right. U-Haul totally sucks.
    #2) I'm going to GUESS that you told them you were towing something OTHER than your '56 Ford... why else would you be "in the wrong" for what should be a perfectly acceptable combo?
    #3) You definitely would NOT have been charged for "getting the trailer back" nor any subsequent repairs. You likely would have been refunded the cost of your rental, and additionally would have received a credit towards another rental just to make up for the inconvenience. We like HAPPY people...
    #4) Please DO look at our trucks (and trailers) and let me know what you find. We're constantly evaluating and improving our product based on customer feedback. PM me and I'll give you my phone number and email.

Thanks,
    -Sperry Hutchinson II

20. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I have used U-haul tow dollys and trailers. it is such a pain in the ass dealing with the reservation folks when you want a trailer. they are drones and dont care if your project has no motor/ tranny and weighs next to nothing or that my 04 chevy standard cab shortbe is a heavy half (heavy duty tow package). they wont approve me to tow shit with my truck unless its a VW (not even a Model T). I hate having to lie but what else can you do

21. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

I believe you man... trust me, I realize we have an "opportunity" with our people performing their job on the front lines as much as any other large company out there. If your trailer were properly inspected at the point of sale, it never would have happened. Period.

I do what I can to make sure our equipment is the best available for every person that rents it, because it could be my mom that's moving from here in AZ to Illinois with her Grand Marquis on the back of a trailer built in 1987 (that's a long time in terms of RENTAL equipment... just ask the guy with the backhoe.)

How was your experience following your incident?

22. I hauled Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup on a U-Haul car trailer from Phoenix MD to Rockmart GA with no problems.

23. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

I gotta chime in here...i have rented a lot of trailers from u-haul...only one didnt have problems...I had the brakes lock up on one and they had to come trade me trailers...one had the bar that holds the straps on come off when i tightened it down...i had one that had huge cracks in the tires...another that the tires on one side just flew off...i had 3 that lost wheels because of wheel bearings and my last one the shackles broke and the axle came off...so where is the quality? why arent these trailers taken back to a big center and checked out everytime they are used...because they dont give a damn about customer service...if they did the trailers would all look brand new the bearings would be like new...everything would be like new...

24. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

Not to jump on the bash U-Haul wagon.. but my experience wasn't the greatest. I was honest about what I was hauling (85 Vette) and my Suburban was outfitted to tow. I've got thousands of miles hauling race cars on trailers too.

First the trailer really looked like crap. OK... I don't care about that, but that should have tipped me off. I noticed a slight pull to the right when the trailer was empty under braking... That pull got worse when we were loaded. It got rather violent once when I had to do a quick stop.

When I was loading, I noticed some of the trailer wiring hanging loose under the trailer. I even tie wrapped it back so it wouldn't catch. As the day turned to night, the wiring came back to haunt me and to make a long story short, there were a few blown fuses and some time of the trailer going "dark".

So.. I got home OK and returned the trailer after hours. Being a responsible guy, I called U-Haul to tell them of the problems... NOT to complain... I had my car home and I just wanted to be sure the next guy didn't have problems... ESPECIALLY with the brakes! I was pretty much told to fuck off and mind my own business by the shop manager.

The moral of the story is to not let them give you the POS trailer.

I bought my own trailer and I'm done renting, so it doesn't matter.

One other thing worth mentioning.... Get the insurance if you rent a truck. A Ryder truck we rented for work was involved in an accident (low bridge) and we found out the hard way that the credit card insurance for rentals does NOT cover rental trucks. It will cover a rental car, but not a truck!

25. barnescole

barnescole

Not a ford, but my chevy fit....BARELY. The main problem was the width and the running boards. It fit, but i had to really strap it down to keep it from moving. In retro, i should have just removed the running boards. I drove it 6 hours up I-95.

Attached Files:

26. RacinGator

RacinGator
    from Hiram,Ga

Well I got a trailer to use and the "friend" that was going to loan me his truck is not answering. I really hope owning this truck is easier than the buying and acquiring process!! May have to pay rollback prices from Cedar bluff Al to Hiram ,GA >:-(

27. saltflatmatt

saltflatmatt
    Alliance Vendor

Sperry-

Come up to Minneapolis and look at the U-junks sitting in the lot I live 6 blocks from one, I swear to god there is a 1995 Ford cube van sitting there that is soo abused I'd be afraid to drive it across the street...

Yes they know it was a 56 ford being hauled when rented-

The 800 number people are fools, I ended calling up the original rent site, I was instructed to get the trailer back to the closest rental site where I would get another trailer, stuck on the side of the road my only real option was to drag it off and unload the car and dump the trailer- I don't carry trailer parts and a welder to fix it on the spot.

Reading this post I'm GUESSING I not the only one with a bad experience with U haul. I know I am one out of a million and there are millions of happy customers. I just go another way now.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  28. moparmonkey

moparmonkey
    from NorCal

I've never had any real problems with any of my u-haul rentals. I've rented a few trucks for moving back and forth from NorCal to SoCal (college), and a few trailers now, a few auto transporters and a couple of dolly's. One of the trucks I rented was a little sketchy looking and I suspect the suspension was long overdue for some bushings, but it made it without issue. I once had to rent a 24' truck to tow an auto-transporter though, it was the smallest thing they would give me despite the 2000 lb healey being transported. Worked fine though. So far I've used Uhaul trailers to move a '56 Healey, a '66 Fury, two '71 Darts, a '74 Dart, a couple of motorcycles out to the track and back, and my '37 Dodge. I usually try to be honest about my towing combo, the '37 wasn't in the computer so the tech and I had to play around with some numbers. :rolleyes:. And I get insurance. At least so I don't have to pay for the equipment.

I will say that I only go to one rental yard now, the manager runs a good shop and the equipment at that store seems better maintained than most. So, like any company that big, I'm sure there are Uhaul yards that don't take care of their equipment, and some that do. I found a good yard and don't mess with others. They practically know me at the one I go to now!