Register now to get rid of these ads!

My EZ-UP Paint booth.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SMOKINFLATHEAD, Sep 17, 2009.

1. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

So after brain storming about how to get some items in prime, and having a go round with the whole use your garage as a paint booth. I made one out of an e-z up and some 6mil. clear plastic. I have now used this both of the last two weekends, so it's real easy to set up and tare down, DARE I SAY EZ-UP, AND EZ-DOWN?<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p[​IMG]

2. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I used two 24"x24" air conditioning filters and made wood frames. The frames were stapled to the plastic, and the filters nailed to the frames. The fan was set to push air, as I couldn't find a brushless motor fan.
    [​IMG]

3. Like campin out in the driveway.

4. RichG

RichG

Very cool!

Why not use a regular box fan mounted directly against the filter to pull the air?

5. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

With the plastic top being clear, (not using the ez-up top) There was all the light you could need.
    [​IMG]

6. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

And theres no overspray on any of the crap in my garage!
    [​IMG]

7. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Don't have one. Just using what is available. A box fan would be perfect and my design would have had one in it, if I didn't have the fan I used to begin with.:)

8. RichG

RichG

I hear that!:D

9. Insane 1

Insane 1
    from Ennis TX

I take it you don't live w/a HOA!

10. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Wow, thats a great idea! Man i'm gonna try that. Was that just a tarp on the ground?
    Did you have much dust problems?

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool
    simple
    easy
    portable

i like it

12. 28 chevy

28 chevy
    from NE Pa

I'm gonna try that for sand blasting in my big garage (with good respiration). Just to contain the dust anad recycle the sand.
    Jim

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Great idea and usable for almost everyone sometime someplace.

14. Big Bad Dad

Big Bad Dad

:eek:
    Do not use a box fan to PULL the air! Highly flammable paint spray and fumes being pulled across the electric motor with the possiblities of an arc could = BOOM !

15. 1931av8

1931av8

It actually looks like he would be pulling incoming fresh air into the booth to pressurize it. That would allow the box fan to be used. It the fan is used to push contaminated air OUT of the booth, that could be a problem!!
    I would leave the fan on until all the fumes are out of the booth before restarting it if it is installed inside as a puller. Might have an accumulation of VOC's at the floor that could ignite when the fan is switched back on...unless removed from the booth.

Good idea! I like it.:)

16. wheres the door how did you get out
    on a lighter note you can usually find a box fan in the garbage you just have to drive around on garbage day I happen to find them all the time .
    I actually found some side curtains for an outside awning set up which I put in my basement shop and a fan in the window and it was all free and you dont fume out the house just the neighbor behind me oops
    thats a cool set up though

Attached Files:

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I second that theory... GREAT idea for the EZ-UP, though! Would like to see someone's version of this big enough to paint a body in. :cool:

18. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I'm working on buying an ez- up large enough to do that exact thing. Stay tuned.

4SHO, pushing air in was the only way to avoid problems with what I had available.

Another piece of plastic. NO DUST, but you should see the filter on the intake (FAN) side though, shows how much it was keeping out. I'm pleased.

NO, Thank god. NO signs of overspray getting out, but the neighbors were informed.

As for the door, one side over laps 25% of the other.

19. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For curiosity sake, I checked out the prices of a 10x20 ez-up... DAMN! Thinking a PVC frame might be more fitting for something larger.

20. mtrhead

mtrhead

21. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

yeah, There are some on e-bay for $170.00 or so, less if you don't care what the cover looks like. I like being able to set it up in 5 minutes. My garage is packed to the rim, and putting together a pvc frame multiple times isn't as inviting. Have thought of that option though. We'll see how money will factor in. Jay

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OH! I must be looking at the wrong stuff then! Awesome! I will check them out for sure! Thanks for pointing that out!

23. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

Now i'm confused, the filter on the intake fan side, is this the filter that the fans
    blowing thru? What does the other filter there do? This is somthing i really like to
    do but didn't want to mess up my garage. Why is it everytime i see somthing
    on here i like ya go talking about shit going boom. Man that worries me, lol.

24. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

I'm pushing air through the filter on the fan side, The other filter allows the positive pressure to be released.

25. JD's 32

JD's 32
    from TX

So, the wind from the fan dont push the paint around in the air? The other filter
    kinda lets the fumes out correct? Would it matter the size of fan? Thanks.

26. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

The paint was not affected by the wind from the fan. I placed both filters in the corner for a siphon effect. The filter should filter most of the airborne paint out of the air and yes exhaust the fumes/bad air. The fan was set on high out of three settings available. This seemed to be just enough to push air in through the filter and make the conditions inside ideal. Remember a respirator only filters the air it doesn't supply oxygen. I could not have survived inside a booth without fresh air being pulled/pushed in.

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Look around for one of those tent like carport frames (Costco style) that is sitting in someone's yard missing the cover. I picked up one for 35.00 and a guy can throw visqueen over it to make a spray boot. They aren't all that hard to put up and take down either if you need to take it down after you use it.

<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

28. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

Great idea I might try that inside my shop.
    I have crop circles on the floor now from painting my chassis using a round tarp underneath it.
    Most of the time when I was painting something the paint that fell out side the tarp edges was already dry so it just swept up after I was done, but when I used eastwoods chassis black paint and primer aparently it didn't dry until it landed on the floor out side the tarp.
    Needless to say I caught alot of shit from friends and neighbors about by shop floor.

29. tnrotter

tnrotter
    from Tennessee

Around here we call that a 'redneck paintbooth'! Had a customer from a sign shop want some 4'x8' sign boards painted Ford tractor blue with some industrial enamel. So like you did, I went to the Dollar store and bought a 10'x10' piece together unit for $20 and wrapped it in plastic. provided me with a clean environment for the task and kept that stuff out of my shop. Have made a 10'x20' frame out of 3/4" sch 40 pvc and hung it from the purlins in my shop and covered it with plastic retained with duct tape as a spray booth. tnrotter

30. Nuck the feighbors.