Register now to get rid of these ads!

Staying Focused......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I've always admired the folks that could have a vision, develop the plan, collect the parts and see the build through to the end. I, on the other hand, seem to be worse than a crack junkie with A.D.D lately when it comes to my projects. Seems like no matter how much I plan a build, I end up straying from the original plan a zillion times because I think of something different or see a different car or part that gives me a new idea or I get a bad case of "gotta have it". I end up burning up so much time and wasted resources that I don't end up with squat. Then, like everybody, there's the financial end of the equation. The money comes and goes so I buy and sell as I need the dough. Then...there's the time factor. Being self employed and a single Dad with a two and a four year old obviously doesn't make it any easier. I know that a certain amount of this is normal in a build but lately I've taken it to the extreme and it's driving me nuts. Having 3 different projects going at once doesn't help either. Maybe I need purge all cars and parts that I have and start from scratch and then lock myself in the shop away from any other stimulus.

Any ideas or suggestions from any of you more focused folks that actually get projects done?

Just random thoughts and boo hooing for myself while I was focused enough to type a post.....

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I read between the lines.....you know the answer already, one project and the parts that go with it, period. Then don't buy ANYTHING else for any reason...not even if the best deal of the century comes along. Finish one to completion and experience the joy of taking your kids to car shows and cruz nights. You will then realize the importance of focusing and it might come more natural to you in the future.

I've got so many car pals that have many, many projects in their stable and not one running, driving car to attend functions in. Sad really.

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Fear of success? Afraid it won't turn out as cool as it is in your head? Have no fear it won't. Don't sweat it.

I can speak with authority because I was there once. One project after another. Each one "better" than the last for years.

Once I got a car on the road to take to the cruise nights and rod runs I could never be without a drivable hotrod of some sort. I have been driverless for short periods since then but not for long.

I take stock of which is closer to driver status or which will take the least amount of cash to get mobile.

Concentrate, Bucky, concentrate.:D You can do this.

4. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I feel your pain. I have three project going at the same time as well. I get close to finishing one and find some really cool parts for another. There goes the money. It's a sickness! but a good one.

5. Make a detailed list and keep it with the car- as you finish something, check it off. You may have to revise at times, but it will help.

6. 53choptop

53choptop

HRLC and Tommy nailed on the head, it took me 8 years to finish the olds, because I kept changing my mind over and over and buying stuff and other cars I knew I would never finish. Sold it all off kept the 3 most important ones, 53 Olds, 36 Ford and 57 Chevy truck.

Don't buy it until I need it, plan out my builds and don't stray from the plan.

Like Tommy said, cant be without a driver either, once you build that 1st one, drive it then add another to the list, this way if you loose focus on what you are workign on, take a cruise get your mind straight, it helps.

You can do this.

7. Smart words Denise.

It all comes down to HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT?

We had a swapmeet last week. I took all superfluous parts off the shelf, off the walls. All the cool nicknacks in my display case and put a price on it all. That Harley roller........pfft dime a dozen, sell it. How many beer tap handles do you really need? Sell it. Like I told my pal Karl, "all this stuff looked cool displayed at my shop, would still be looking cool when I am dead and they auction it!"

FOCUS, you gotta want it.

8. NOTCH

NOTCH

Im in the same boat also, but its time for crackin the wip, and gettin her done!

So tell us what projects do you you have?

9. CRFyou

CRFyou

maybe your wife can buy some lingerie and make promises of a sexual nature. man has waged war and conquered lands for such promises...

10. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Though i can relate to staying focused mine has been different with the 54 build. My step son which has always been a son to me found this truck and convinced me to get and build it. When he passed away a year and a half ago it took all the interest to build it out of me and i had several times thought of selling it. I am now geared towards finishing it in his memory as i feel that's what he would want me to do.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Focus on only one car at a time - no matter what. Get a mental groove to "finish this car"
    without getting sidetracked. Also,remembering that if it doesn't get done all I will have is a very expensive "parts car" is a motivator.

12. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

I have that problem also. Too many toys and doodads, I could use the money much better to fund 1 project car for me and my sons.

13. I read the lines. You aint be gotten no time for projects. I say sell the projects and most or all of the parts. IF you've got time and money for one, get a driver.

14. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I appreciate all of the advise. The one thing that seems to hold true here is streamlining. I do need to unload all of my stuff except for one car. I tend to horse trade a lot. I've always bought and sold parts and driving cars. The problem is that some of it I don't want to sell and then it just ends up being a distraction from my original project. I also agree about getting rid of the nicknack BS that I have hanging around and turning it into cash to go towards my one project.
    As far as what sgtlethargic said, he's spot on too. In reality, I really don't have time for a major project and sometimes find it hard to take the time to do the basic upkeep to a runner. Wrenching on these cars and bikes for me though is one of my only outlets at the moment and my children do love to ride in the "hotrods" that I've had. They think that all of my cars are cool even if they are in poor shape and run like crap!!

Here's what I've got at the moment:

47 Studebaker. Just picked it up for next to nothing. Runs OK.
    [​IMG]

29 Special coupe. All original. Runs OK. Pretty decent deal and couldnt pass it up. May keep it and get rid of the rest but not sure what I'd do with it exactly.[​IMG]

Banger powered T coupester. Odd little dude but there's something about it that I like.
    [​IMG]

27 coupe and 27 RPU. Just bodies right now and actually have the RPU parts for sale. Probably will just sell these and all the other misc. parts that I have.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. The Studebaker looks cool and is a good family cruiser (I suggest adding shoulder seatbelts). The Model A is cool too, but not much of a family ride. It'd be good for tinkering with and putting around. I'd sell the rest and enjoy the family life.

Thanks,
    Kurt

16. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I'd keep and get seatbelts installed in the Studebaker and the A Coupe because...

The T coupester is a cut-off top T coupe on a Model A chassis, if it runs sell the body and keep the chassis.

Sell the rest to fund the Stude update, stash the A coupe for future top of market sale, play with the running A chassis and maybe think of a speedster variant.

But if the money pinch is that tight, and you have a good family ride, dump it all and enjoy the kids while they are Dad worshippers, they might stay that way longer!

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Hell I thought you had a problem. Spend 1 weekend on the Studie, remove the cow catcher and bumper guards, primer it all one color, clean it up and drive it.

I was expecting 5 piles of parts with months if not years of work left to make each drivable.

The A, the Stude and the T all look like they could be made road worthy without a huge cash outlay. Pick the one you like best and concentrate on it.

I think everybody of normal means has sold projects or even finished cars to finance the completion of projects that are close to completion.

That Stude looks like fun. You know there is a guy that makes an adapter for the T-5 5 speed to the Stude 6 if you want to do some cross country cruising.

18. 32viper

32viper

What she said, especially about your kids..