Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why don't 37 Ford coupes get any love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Sep 15, 2009.

1. i think what really turns guys off is the first year the headlights in the fenders.

2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He did say 5-window coupe, and I see nothin' wrong with that...2-door coupe has always seemed dumb to me though. I like '37 Ford coupes too.

3. guy1unico

guy1unico

37 slant backs are one of my favorites. When the side cowls are removed alittle 85 horse flattie peeps through nicely / tear dropped headlights...mouse front end its the nuts!
    GW

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I think they could be really cool. I wouldn't mind if that thing was in my garage.

5. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Here's my 37 coupe--bought it back in the late 70's--NOBODY wanted these things.But I always liked the ArtDeco styling--my understanding is that's why they didn't last too long--Art Deco is love or hate.

Attached Files:

esrbuilders likes this.
  6. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Last pic screwed up---

Attached Files:

7. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

I've wanted to do a Westergard-style custom based on a '37 Coupe for a while now....probably would work best if it started as a Club Coupe though.

Maybe someday.

8. bob3757

bob3757
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tigard, Or

Here's a couple pictures of my "37 flat back. I bought it in 1979, worked on it off & on for 8 years, and finished it in 1987. It has the usual, 350 Chev, turbo 400, GM 12 bolt rearend. I've been driving it for 22 years. Bob

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.
  9. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

ugly? i don't see that.......
    i think they are a nice looking car-love to have one.

10. 93blazer4dr

93blazer4dr
    BANNED

they need a chop and sit it low

11. MrkCat37

MrkCat37

I love em.

[​IMG]

hfh and Hank37 like this.
  12. Kustomline54

Kustomline54

Shoot, now that i saw this pic i have more love for them now than ever!:D

13. 51Gringo

51Gringo
    from Nor Cal

they flow nicely, just stock[​IMG]

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Until about 1975 almost all cars built after '34 were not really considered street rods. '40 Fords were always the exception to that rule. As a matter of fact, alot of clubs restricted their membership to '34 and earlier. I came into this game in'77 with a '35 5window, and it was way cheap. '37's were always considered eccentricly styled and that was that. By the mid eighties "fat fendered Fords" were a full blown trend in the street rod ranks, and suddenly you could buy repro parts, chassis stuff, and all the stuff to build any of these cars. '40 were getting expensive, so other Ford models and years got scooped up and played with. By about 1987 or so the 1937 Ford was the car to have! It seemed like every body had one, most painted pink, red or turquoise. That whole trend lasted until about '91or '92 it seems. After that real swoopy wierd phantoms got everybody's attention, alot kinda based on '37&'38 Ford bodies. Afterthat came rat rods and the whole traditional thing, lot's of new deuces,etc.etc. So they kinda had their day back about twenty years ago, and just sort of got lost again in the "next big trend". That is why so many that you see today have pastel colors or weird splash graphics on them, it was just that time. Now, at the risk of upsetting som folks the 5window thing- Traditionally, the only cars that could be called "5windows" were cars that could be had as 3 windows. That means '32 through '36 Fords. Thats it! It's one of those old fashion "unwritten rules" of this game that goes back forever. And I know that using a term like '37 Ford 5 window, or model "A" 5 window in my crowd of mentors will get you laughed at to this day! It imeadiatly marks you as one of the new guys to this gig. As I said, not my rules, but just the way it has been forever.

bowie likes this.
  15. alexelchingon

alexelchingon

id get a 37 only if i knew for a fact that I could bolt a 36 front end to it......or maybe i should just get a 36 ford:confused:confused:

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Sounds like you need a '36 Ford!!!

17. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

They still have a large following with the Early v-8 clubs , and no they were not considerd the ugly ducklings, those where the 38´s and 39 standards, though a 39 standard makes a bitchen custom. no they did not make a 37 sedan delivery, they did make a roadster, but are extremly rare. In the early 80,s I owned a cabriolet, 2 slantbacks and a phaeton, Hot rodders never like them , except to use them for jalopy´s, they also made a club cabriolet and a club coupe, and if you ever see a 37 lincoln zepher 3 window coupe , they take a shit on a 39 Zepher. The guy responsible for making them popular with the streetrodders was Danny Brent. He is a good freind of mine and still lives in San Diego. He now builds traditional hot rods, He is also responsible for the fad of pastel colors, He is also responsible for making the 37 slantback popular, a car which I think is the pretiest of the 37´s. If anybody needs any 37,s my fellow club member Buck Rossen hoarded aboat 20 of them in all the body styles . a bare coupe body is aboat 45 hundred. He also has aboat 80 more early v-8 cars for sale. I shure wish more guys would build them and I sell model a body´s but I prefer the early v-8,s I think they are a better car.

18. magoo

magoo

19. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Id take one any day of the week.

20. I believe 37 Fords are highly sought after if im not mistaken. Popular for ... ahemm... Street Rods. :)

21. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I hate em!

That TeQuila Gold two tone paint is bad ass.
    [​IMG]

Yea ugly as hell..

[​IMG]

Hank37 likes this.
  22. 38zephyr

38zephyr

You are wrong about a few things ...

Attached Files:

hfh likes this.
  23. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I certainly wouldn't mind parking a '37 Ford of any body style in my driveway.

24. retromotors

retromotors

Might be me, might be you, but one of us has a vision problem.

25. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Me too.

26. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Here's one we are building.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. yblock292

yblock292

my first hot rod, bought in 67, excellent body, merc flathead , needed brakes and some electrical work drove it my last two years in high school paid $450 for would love to have one today.

28. VinnieCap

VinnieCap

I agree... they are great looking. Just missed one out towards Pittsburgh, waited too long and it sold.

29. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

They made 8,948 sedan deliverys and only 1,250 roadsters in '37.
    Sorry about the bad scans!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  30. Django

Django
    from Chicago

What book is that from? That's not a roadster, it's a cabriolet.