Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs '64 Pontiac custom idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by El Caballo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thinking of doing up headlights like this on my '64 Catalina.

[​IMG]

What are the dimensions of the rectangular headlamps from 70's & 80's cars with four headlamps? Would a set of Lucas or Bosch single lamps work better mounted sideways?

Anyone here done something like this?

2. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A set up like this....

Attached Files:

3. monsterflake

monsterflake

i considered european, early-sixties mercedes lights, but they're kinda hard to find in junkyards. i'll see if i can find a pic...

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

5. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I considered those, but I'm not looking to lose what I consider a classic Pontiac look of the headlamp buckets. I like those euro benz lamps, I had a '69 280 with them when I lived in Venezuela. I loved that car.

6. retromotors

retromotors

You forgot the beam pattern layout. I don't think any lamps made for horizontal mount are gonna work vertically.

7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No, I thought of it, which is why I asked if anyone had done it. :)

8. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Buick Riveria???

9. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting idea, was done on a Los Boulevardos' Caddy, but I'm not interested in losing the bumper for a roll pan which is what the Riv lights would need.

10. Joe Johnston

Joe Johnston
    from Ohio

Just checked a pic of a 65 Riveria. To use the hideaway headlights would require an extensive bumper mod, but to graft the bottom of your 64 to the Buick might look nice. Much easier to do in Photo Shop than the real world. Keep us posted.

11. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, I'd have to make it kind of Green Hornet looking which isn't what this car needs.

Attached Files:

12. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nads, you are a source of encouragement.

Per request of others, my Catalina.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  14. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I would use a flat piece of glas/plexi, mildy frosted in the center to thick around the edges, and three 1/4 inch wide white stripes placed verticaly evenly across it.
    then behind that, recessed/sunken would be the original round lamps

15. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I saw a '66 7 Litre Galaxie with something like that.

16. monsterflake

monsterflake

the galaxie covers would be great, but they've gotta be uber-rare!

17. monsterflake

monsterflake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1965-Ford-427-Galaxie-pyrex-headlight-covers_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2c50d8191dQQitemZ190334900509QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

buy 'em now for $1800.00....

This is a super nice set of RARE PYREX 427 Ford Galaxie headlight covers that only came on the 427/ 7 litre cars although I was you could buy them as a dealer item. These covers have been in the family since 65 my Dad got them for my Grandfather 65 but never put them on. Always had a vision of having a 65 but thats not happening they need to be on somebody car not my shelf! There is minor pits on the top of one the other one is perfect! Thanks for looking any questions call 734-395-3240

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Caddyman65's Rivullac, there are a few posts on here of it. Very cool car.

Not sure I follow you on the square lights. Though I do like the idea of headlight covers.

19. monsterflake

monsterflake

there's a 61 pontiac in town with riviera fender extensions, it looks good, but how can you really improve the prettiest car ever made?

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

well you don't cut the fenders off and put them on a Pontiac. :eek::eek::D:D

21. buickbelle

buickbelle

Perphaps the G Body healights from 78 to 87, Regal, Cutlass, Monte Carlo or Grand Prix? I have a Regal, The two together measure about 14 " long and 3 1/2" wide, the Monte Carlo may have a smaller width, but I don't know about the length. Is that what you are wanting to know?

Carrie

Attached Files:

22. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Hard to improve on a '61.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or any of the '60s Pontiacs.

These big Pontiacs are already smoother-looking than anything else built during that time.

I'd go with paint and stance on that '64 and call it perfect.

23. X426X

X426X
    from OhiO

A few photoshopped images of a '64 Pontiac attached. It looks spooky with the headlamps blanked out. Mercedes Benz used a vertical style composite lamp in the late '60s- early '70s that might work if your heart is set on the look.
    :cool:

Attached Files:

24. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Oh please God no, don't do that.

25. Squablow

Squablow

Those 7 litre Pyrex ones would be easy enough to make using that "make your own tail light lenses" method that I read a tech on here. With the air tight pressure box and a heat gun.

I love the look of some of those old Mercedes and euro cars with the glass headlights, I think American designers got fucked over by the sealed beam laws in the US. We probably would have had some awesome headlight designs in the 50's and 60's if it wasn't illegal. My '65 300-L has glass covered headlights, I wonder how they were able to get away with that.

26. Personally, I would look for a halogen light setup I could put behind some kind of home-made glass or plexi lens made to fit the fender. It should be relatively easy to cut up something late 80s or 90s with plastic headlight buckets to make the guts work in there. If your covers are slightly frosted the guts won't show as well.

By the way, I'd say you could duplicate the look of the hood of that show car in the first post using the first 12" or so of a '65-'66 Pontiac hood. Which would be cheap to get the pieces for, we had a couple '65 ragtops and couldn't give them away.

27. monsterflake

monsterflake

ooooooh, burn!

28. ryno

ryno

just my thought.
    some things are better left un touched.
    i personally dont like the covers, look to bulky and draw your eyes to them too much. maybe if a custom grill and bumber where done it may help.
    heres a shot of a 65 cat i just finished.
    [​IMG]

29. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I'm sure replacement headlights will be available in Europe for the Mercedes-Benz W114/W115 body, but I don't know what it would cost you to get hold of a pair.
    [​IMG]
    Here you go, 208.25 Euros each, in Germany: http://www.niemoeller.de/w114-en/B015-51.html

30. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting, I completely forgot about those, shame on me.