Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA Junior Stock

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by colesy, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Dog427435

Dog427435

2. Dog427435

Dog427435

3. Dog427435

Dog427435

4. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Dog427435, thank you!

Pete

5. X-TECH MAN

X-TECH MAN
    from Florida

Bill Cornielis (sp?)

6. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Thanks X-Techman. I believe the last name is spelled: Cornelius.

Regards,

Pete

7. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Can anyone I.D. these cars? I believe the 'Vette on the left is Ken Worrell's. The others?

[​IMG]
    (photo courtesy Fredfiles)

Pete

8. TMcCrea

TMcCrea
    from Maryland

That would be Bill Cornelius. A 1958, I believe and very versatile. It would fit a half dozen classes with few changes.

9. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

I was curious of what his reaction was myself.... He said he watched it and it literally gave him the chills....I cant imagine how many hours of his life had been spent over a fender of that car...too cool.!!

10. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Colesy
    Thanks that was the car sold to john fall of 68

Richard Hilt

11. Pete,
    The '64 Plymouth could be Tommy Marotta's 'Pink Panther' the team was Marotta and Owens and ran out of Willow Grove Pa.
    The Tritak wagon picture is not Pete Tritak. He and I were partners just prior to the wagon.I also don't think it is Billy Morgan ,the hair doesn't look right . Pete had a few regulars that went with him{ including Steve Seaman until he got involved with my wagon} and if I could see a little more of the face I could ID him.
    An interesting note, In 66 or 67 when I was Service Director at Knoblock Dodge { later to become Malouf Dodge } in South Rivver NJ, I got a call from Pete and he told me he needed a '63 Plymouth wagon . I made a call to a junk yard in East Brunswick that we did alot of business with and bought what was to become the "War Wagon" for $150. and Pete set about turning it into a race car.
    A few months later I got another call from Pete. He did all the work on Al Olster's 63 Plymouth "One Step Beyond' , and because of that became good friends with Bill Jenkins, Al's engine builder. Pete needed $600. to pay Jenkins for the motor for his '63 wagon. I lent him the money and told him to pay me when he could.
    A comical thing .Pete and I worked at Tri Town Motors a Chrysler Plymouth dealer in Passaic NJ, this was in '64. I met Olster because he was also from that area.
    Pete and I went to Indy in I think '66 with Olster and his '63 2 door Plymouth. Pete and I had been up all night changing camshafts per Jenkins instructions. The next morning was first round of eliminations. Al is in the staging lanes waiting for them to pull the line out when he tries to start the car and nothing happens. he panics and goes looking for Pete or me. Meanwhile we look over from where we are in the stands and see the car with no driver. We go running to the staging lanes and no Al !. They now call the next 2 cars and that's us. Pete jumps in the car and we realize what the deal is and jumped the relay on the firewall . Pete puts on Al's helmet and pulls out to stage the car. I go back around the fence to watch the car just as Al, who now realized that his car is no longer in the staging lane, comes walking up to the fence where I am standing just in time to see Pete go down the track!. I don't remember if the car made it to the second round but Olster was unhappy.It was a real comedy of errors!!!!

Dom

12. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Good Stuff!

13. OLD-OLD TIMER

OLD-OLD TIMER
    from indiana

Colesy
    If you have a 1969 program? Some where in the first pages is a shot of the return road at the 1968 Nationals see if you can pick out the car # on the H/Stock 1961 Pontiac wagon. It could be the cover.
    Thanks

old-old timer

14. stang1989

stang1989
    from Mohrsville

If the Lau Raider car (Kenny Lau) is from Pennsylvania (pictured above), I have pictures of where my father was crew chief of that car. Let me know if this is the same car and I can scan in more pictures.

15. sinistri

sinistri
    from reading pa

Here are some items on the infamous Barry Bean, a wholy terror at maple grove raceway....If you check out the pics i think you'll see why Barry won so many races in a row. Because he had to!!! to pay the speeding tickets and driver classes!! Ha! Barry told my pop he had a racecar he was running until he found out the car he was towing it with was faster !!!Thought that was great !! I still cannot grasp 42 wins in 44 entered events over a two season total....More than most racers see in a lifetime...it floors me. Thanks to Barry for sharing some of his collection w/ me..

Attached Files:

16. Boertman1

Boertman1
    from USA

No comment :cool:

17. 65deluxe

65deluxe

18. Boertman1

Boertman1
    from USA

Here's my beautiful mother, Judi Boertman, under the hood of the Biscayne for a local newspaper article.

Attached Files:

19. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

:D

Now that's a rare photo!

Pete

20. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Yep, same car! Please post!

Regards,

Pete

21. P426

P426
    BANNED
    from New Jersey

Dom,

Great history and funny Tritak/Olster story! Thank you very much!

I knew it wasn't Pete Tritak or Bill Morgan in the photo. I thought it might have been your ex-partner Steve Seaman.

As far as the '64 Plymouth in the pic, the first thought that came to my mind it was the Domini & Shepard Mopar.

FYI, I'm very familiar with South River. I had (still do!) family on my dad's side I used to visit virtually every weekend throughout the 1960s on up to mid-1970s, usually on Sundays; that's where I used to see many a race car on a trailer headed to or from Raceway Park on Route 18. We used to pass by Knoblock Dodge all the time on the way to my cousins' house. I even purchased parts for my hi-po Mopars once upon a time back in the late-1970s and 1980s.

Btw, was the auto wrecker you mentioned located on Harts Lane in East Brunswick? By chance was it Ace's Auto Wrecking? Or was it Fabian's? Been there to both more than once. :)

Regards,

Pete

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  22. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

The pic you saw of version 2 at the Winternationals was a mis-captioned photo. I think i have seen it too and if i can remember correctly, it was in a magazine article about Winternationals and they used a file photo of version 2 (not knowingly) for the story. Hope this clears it up. Car version #1 was wrecked in March, about 5 weeks after Winternationals.

23. 67 W-30

67 W-30
    from N.E. Ohio

Check with Gary Glover. I believe he had a "hand" in the old Boertman Rod Shop Firebird after it was purchased by one of his West Va buddies! Gary, chime in and tell us more about that 'bird in its "life after Boertman/Rod Shop"!!

24. colesy

colesy

I wish I had the complete 1969 Indy program. The photo is from the cover of the 1970 entry list. I have identified a few here. Briane Philbrick's Strange Brew 68 Olds is from up my way. Briane still races in Stock today with a 76 Chevy Monza and is a multi time National Record holder.
    Any of the Oldsmobile guys have any info on Bill Dalrymple's 68 Hurst Olds? Bill was mentioned earlier in my post on Berejik Olds.

Attached Files:

25. Pete,
    It was Fabians Auto wrecking on Harts Lane. Fabian and Joe Knoblock were long time friends. That is why the car was bought for $ 150.00.I wish those times had never ended!
    Dom

26. BHfanGB

BHfanGB

Anybody got the low-down on this one? I took the pic at Hemmings Musclepalooza in '05.[​IMG]

27. Wow thats pretty neat, race damage and all!
    -Dean

28. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

Anytime sir............my fat girl workes hard.:eek:

29. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

I love that kingswood front suspension travel

30. Bob Bender

Bob Bender

It sure looks like his old car...........I could be wrong :confused: I worked on it alot. It ran M/S