Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Why don't 37 Ford coupes get any love?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jrblack30, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Stumbled across a sweet 37 Ford 5 window coupe the other day. Doing some research, it seems that the there is no 37's out there or at least very few.

Why is that?

Show me the light and put up some pics of nice 37 Fords.

2. screwball

screwball

back in the day they were considered to ugly to build.

3. Well, it does seem that the streetrod guys love em though. Where ever I look for pic of the 37's, nothing but Boyd Rods type cars.

4. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

well I love em

5. skullhat

skullhat

i dig 37's as well

skull

6. 00 MACK

00 MACK

There was a time when NO ONE would look at em. My grandfather trashed about 10 of em on the circle tracks.

7. belair

belair

Because they're not 39 or 40 Fords.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

STOCK CAR RACING ate most of them. first all steel roof made they desireable as race cars. :eek:

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

37 5 window.... kinda like a model A 5 window,

guess 5 window is the new term for coupe.

I like 37's. always have

10. Most were used up to build stock cars for the oval track races. All the old guys called them the ugly ducklins. Thats why I wanted one since I was 10 years old and got it at 19 .

11. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I know of several, they are mostly bone stock original, a few Streetrods. People that have them love them, when they come up for sale they demand more $ than us Hotrodders are willing to pay. I haven't seen a prue stock one in good running condition sell for less than about 17K.

12. Clark

Clark

Complaining about calling a coupe a five window...guess that's the new cool thing like complaining about flat black or red wheels a couple years back.
    Clark

13. screwball

screwball

I think his point was they didnt make a 1937 ford 3 window coupe so telling us its a 5 window is redundant.

Atwater Mike likes this.
  14. Well, since my pockets are empty right now I will pass along some pictures. If someone is seriously interested, I will pass along the information to you. I believe this car has been in storage since 1960's. The previous owner took it apart to restore but never finished.

The frame has been completely sandblasted and the chassis has been completely restored including the original 21 stud. No pics of the frame but can get some.

Here is a couple of pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. I have never understood how someone will buy a body that everyone knows is plastic on sight. I have had others argue that they produced a 3 window in 1937. One of them was a Ford dealer.
    Back in the day a 37 just wasn't saved because a 40 was ten time as pretty. They literally were unwanted, and as stated wound up on the track, or in the junkyards.

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I like flat black and red wheels. a 37 coupe would look good like that. bigs and littles, California rake, red wheels with small ford hubcaps.... yeah baby!

I don't do it to be cool. already got that covered. :D

it's just annoying to me.

17. oldsrocket

oldsrocket

afraid to ask..... what's the price tag on that project?

18. Can be your for less than $8500. Owners says it is a complete car just missing the radiator and gas tank. He also says many spares and extras included.

19. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

I'd love to have a 37 Ford. Actually that is the first car I was drawn to when I started looking at cars of the 30's, but I wasn't old enough to know that 39 - 40 were more desirable. I still don't get it. But that doesn't make them cheap by any stretch of the imagination.

20. fatabone

fatabone

Where is Big John when we need him?

Attached Files:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. I hope everybody keeps hating them!:mad:(then maybe I can afford one someday:D)

22. I just wish I had the scratch to take it home. Great start for a project.

I like the lines and the looks. Kinda does look like a 39-40, just smaller

23. blitz

blitz

my dad and uncle sold a 4 door 37 for my grandma when they were kids, it was the only car the they had. the kids that bought yanked the flattie and put in a sbc. Heres the funny part it was sold to put the down pament on a new "family car" a 63 comet. since my uncle was the only one that could drive my him and my dad built it and raced it hard. well they met up with the 37 a couple of times i guess and it seems that they doubled there askin price

24. retromotors

retromotors

My first car was a '37 coupe (and yeah, now that you mention it, it did have 5 windows!):D
    Someone had shoehorned a DeSoto hemi into it, probably one of the "baby" hemis, I dunno.
    I was a dumbass 15 year old, didn't know jack about mechanics. In fact, I remember needing some kinda carb part. Looked at the carburetor and it was stamped with a kinda stylized logo:
    CARburetTER
    So anyway, the dude at the parts house had never heard of a Buret carb, so I was shit outta luck.:confused:

I loved that car, always thought the '37s looked sweet. You had the option of running the hood sides or leaving 'em off to show off the engine.

Didn't have it too long ... let one of my "buddies" drive it, he pulled some kinda full gonzo power shift and the tranny took a shit. Like I said, I was a 15 year old dumbass!

Lerenzo Rawson likes this.
  25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I have a thing for '37 tudor sedan slant backs... and really, really like '37 cabriolets...

barryvanhook and Finn Jensen like this.
  26. 38zephyr

38zephyr

I always wanted a 37 sedan delivery .

27. cafekid

cafekid

because they are fugly thats why

28. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Read between the lines man...

29. GEORGIADAWG

GEORGIADAWG

a 37 is one of the sexiest cars when finished

30. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Ugly?? Not! (too bad the bumpers are upside down--'38 style)

Attached Files:

32SEDAN likes this.