Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's hiding in the 5 block radius from your house?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JAWS, Sep 12, 2009.

1. chopt49

chopt49

I know there is a 1928 Sedan in Concourse condition about 10 houses down, old timer owns it an never takes it out...sad. We talk every now and again as he really digs my home built Teardrop trailer and the '49.

There is a '53 chevy very close by (across the street :) ) and a street rodded late 30's car few blocks down.

Just saw a late 30's Dodge "farm" truck appear in the "hood", need to go talk with the owner.

Also a real nice '50 Ford truck is around the corner. Would love to own that one, aint for sale.

2. I am going to check back in often to see if any of my neighbors rat me out.

3. JAWS

JAWS

Funny, I said the same thing.:D

4. Off the top of my head

67 327 number matching 2 door gold black top Chevelle
    39 Ford 4 door sedan
    38 Ford 4 door sedan dirctly across the street from 39
    67 white camaro under restoration
    33 Green metal flake 3 window Hemi/Blown coupe
    59 El Camino
    1930 Ford Roadster project
    1955 Chevy 5 window truck
    1970 Buick GS Sport
    1930 Ford Red roadster stock
    1930 Ford 2 door sedan stock
    1930 Ford pickup stock
    1930 Ford roadster AA truck stock
    1928 Ford roadster stock
    1929 Ford 2 door sedan stock
    1930 Ford Cabriolet stock restoration in progress
    1930 Ford 2 door sedan street rod
    1925 Ford Model T stock
    1932 Ford Vicky Basket case
    Numerous 1920s' Ford roadster pick-ups all in one location in pieces
    1929 Ford Sport coupe stock
    1930 Ford Sport coupe stock "beater"
    1930 Ford Pickup fresh restoration stocker
    1929 2 owner Ford 2 door stocker 1 family owned its entire life
    And numerous "speedster" projects in the build stages.
    Ok that whats fresh in my memory
    I own a 1925 dodge tub basket case-someday modified
    and my 1930 Coupe Gow-Job

Do not ask about any of them I will not tell you. All of these are within (2) blocks of where I reside.-Weeks

5. I have a '27 Ford coupe body (rest of the car is inside the shop) and a '50 GMC 100 sitting beside the shop, a '50 Fordor in the shop, and a '58 Apache SWB in the drive. Starting closest, my closest neighbor has a '69 Chevelle SS396 under his car port, the guy 2 doors north of him has a 20-30something Studebaker. I have a '39 and a '40 Mercury sedan at my father in laws house where he has a 66 Mustang and a 68 Vette both just sinking into the dirt. A guy I go to church with lives about two miles east of me has 4 - '58 Chevys (1 - convertible, 1 - 2 door hardtop, 1 - 2 door post and a 4 door (348 CI motor). That is all I can think of for now.

PS. Just remembered there is a guy 3-4 miles north of me that has about 40 Model T Fords of various types including a C cab truck and I live within 6 miles of Shoeboxford in Midwest City, OK and he has acres of 49-51 Fords.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  6. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

Everytime we drop by to check on it there is a guard with a chrome (yeah chrome) AK-74 (not an AK-47) eyeballing us! So I imagine we would get about 5 feet before he fires a warning shot! The IZ (Green Zone) is still pretty safe, we get a rocket or a 60mm HE mortar from Sadr City :eek: but it isn't all that bad!
    Trust me we have already wargamed getting this bad boy back home!

7. Bama Jama

Bama Jama

A '53 Plymouth 2dr wagon sitting on a carport about 5 blocks away. Bone stock ,turquoise and cream ( we had a '54 2dr hardtop the same color when I was a kid)whith thin paint and junk stacked in it. Been there I know for ten years. They hung some of those bamboo curtains around so you can't see it. A buddy stopped a few years ago and ask about it and they were not intrested in selling. '51 Chevy 2dr a couple blocks from there under a tarp, under a tree. Same story. Bill

8. I live in Australia where American iron isn't just sitting in peoples back yards. But there's a guy about 20 houses from me who has a 56 Ford Victoria, a 40 coupe and and 65 Galaxy convertible, both the 56 and 40 are award winning resto jobs.

About 20 houses the other way there's a guy who races historic muscle cars who's got a 68 Z28 and a few others in pieces, my neighbour about 2 doors away has a 65 Mustang and there's another one across the road from the guy with the 56 Vic... geez, I started off going to write that there's nothing around here and the more I think about it the more I remember!

9. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

There's a nice '61 Desoto 4-door a couple blocks south of us, running and driving. The fellow who we "rent" garden space from is four blocks west of us. Hiding in his garage is a nice '74 Monte Carlo 454 4-speed SS, and tucked in beside it is a '55 Pontiac 2-door sedan running a tri-power small block/4-spd. There's also a '47-8 Desoto 4-door sedan, a '46-7 Chevy grain truck, and a few other odds 'n ends in town.
    Of course, there's also this place about a mile from our house... :D
    http://www.northwestcoin.ca/gvcars.html

10. havi

havi

Seen those yard pics a couple times before. 6036 and 6079 had garnered my interest then, and they still do. :)

11. There is a 34 ford five window that i can throw a rock and hit from my driveway. It was a hot rod from the 50s. HE WILL NOT SELL IT

12. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

i just found a 32-34 ford pickup and a 35-36 ford pickup yesterday i will be looking into these shortly:D

13. Picked this up 2 miles from my house. I got it from the original owners son. He blew it apart in 1955 for a repaint and never got it back together. After 50 years he decided he was never going to. Took me 10 years and about 200 phone calls to get it. [​IMG]

14. The Hirohata Merc is within 5 Blocks of my house, hiding in a ramshackle garage. If you saw where Jim keeps it you'd cry.

15. CrazyUncleJack

CrazyUncleJack
    from OK

Interesting thread. The main point I'm getting is that if anybody offers you any car for little or nothing, take it. Right then, not a few weeks or a month later. Now. Then worry about what you're gonna do with it or how to store. If you waffle and wait, it's gone.

If there's something you want and don't want to sell, offer them cash right then to make sure (money talks), and give them your business card just in case they change your mind. Check in with them every 6 months and make sure they still have your information, and update it if you've moved phone numbers.

I missed out on a neighbors old truck and this thread just drives it home. He didn't want to sell, and I went off to college. Saw it all the time when home visiting, then one day it was gone. He sold it for the $450 he bought it for back in the 70's and was so excited he broke even that he had to come over and tell me about it. I got puke on his shoes.

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

'37 Olds, '54 Ford, '56 Caddy, '55 Caddy, '64 Galaxie, '30 Ford Tudor, '66 DeVille Conv,'54 Chevy truck, old Nash wagon ('60's), Shoebox Ford, Small neighborhood!

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

When Pat Ganahl did the story of the Merc he included pictures of the house and garage Jim had the Merc in. It looked like a middle class neighborhood very neatly kept. The back yard had a couple of projects that Jim had for a long time and a garage that was adequate to do the restoration. It sure didn't look like the car was being abused or neglected and it was at least under cover all of those years not sitting outside like a lot of these old icons. Jealous?

Frank

18. papastoyss

papastoyss

1/4 mile from where I live theres a 39/40 Packard sedan in a barn. Beside it theres a Model A coupe thats had the back end cut out & made into a crude truck. I asked the crusty old fellow why he cut up the A & he said "It's my damn car & I'll cut it up if I want to". He's dead & gone now, just biding my time.

19. Toner283

Toner283

So......... Why are you on the computer & not on your way over there with a mitt full of cash & a trailer??

If the guy who owns the car does not like the kid & he does like you then he will likely let you have it now since the other guy has not come to get it. what is the worst he can say??

Worth a shot IMO

20. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

I know of a 31 model A, a 34 Ford, two 59 Chevy convertibles,a 55 bel air 2 door, a 64 impala with 30,000 original miles, and a 55 ford p/u, And thats just on my block...all different owners except for the 59's and all bone stock.

21. I'm always amazed at the stuff I see around here close buy that I never knew existed. I've lived here 40 years so I have a pretty good idea what's around but there is always something getting pulled out of the weeds I never knew was there. Yesterday I found a guy snooping around my pile of old motorcycles at another place I own. Just a heads up guys, No Trespassing and Keep Out mean exactly what they say. After an eye to eye talk with Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson my prowler decided he was in the wrong place. I can't help wondering what I'd have lost if I hadn’t come along when I did.

22. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Wow! Where is this stuff? I'm in Orlando and have never seen anything quite like this. I'm guessing he's somewhere out in the country.

23. skwurl

skwurl

Do tell of these pile o bikes. I would race ya fer em but that didnt work out for me the last time we met. I will get my revenge!

24. eddie1

eddie1

1 28 or 29 Model AA flatdeck
    2 restored Model A sedans, 1 is a 28 or 29, the other a 30 or 31
    1 restored 28 Model A Coupe
    1 restored 32 Chev coupe
    1 original, non restored 32 Chev sedan
    1 restored 55 Thunderbird
    1 51 Mercury conv. custom

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The HOA nazis see to it that people leave their garage doors closed. Will be moving to the country first chance I get.

26. JAWS

JAWS

You sir are correct!

What am I doing on this computer?

I will head out there soon, very soon......:D

27. Toner283

Toner283

I probably don't need to mention this but take a camera.....we like pictures. :D

28. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Hum, I know of a :
    1962 Nova
    1929 ford sedan
    1929 ford sport coupe
    1935 ford coupe
    1949? chevy fleetline
    1951? chevy panel
    The nova is for sale. The 2 chevys are pretty bad shape and owned by a strange, cranky family. I'd be afraid of guns coming out the windows with them. The 29 sedan my neigbor is turning into a rat-you-know-what. The 29 sport coupe is restored and the 35 is all original except for the paint. Those are just off the top of my head. I'll probably think of others.