Register now to get rid of these ads!

Coolest thing that ever happened to you because of the HAMB?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny1290, Sep 13, 2009.

1. The HAMB gave me the opportunity to repay all the good things that Hot Rodders did for us when our son died in '85.
    The HAMBANDY Memorial Fund was made a success by only 250 members, but it was a success.

2. M.Edell

M.Edell

I just bought a Cool 34 Ford from a HAMB Member and have gotten some shows for the band through here, as well as CD sales..so its been good so far..

3. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

1. I've met more good folks and made a few more great friends in these few years on the HAMB than in the last twenty civvie-side. :cool:

2. HA/GR, HA/GR, HA/GR. :D

4. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

first time I was called a "FNG" since Viet Nam

5. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

It has to be all the cool people I've met. Most memorable one has to be Germ, who I met at Speed Week in '02. Cool in ways that are hard to explain.
    Meeting Denise at BTTF in '02 was also a highlight.
    However, I have yet to meet a HAMBer who I didn't like, or didn't get along with. What other community can do that?

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

my Billetproof photos were used in Traditional Rod & Kulture for the event coverage after Zombie saw them posted here. thought that was pretty cool

7. We were two days away from home when the engine let go in the Caddy. There we were, sitting along side the interstate. I made a few calls, "HAMBer DOWN!" My phone rings and the guy asks "What do you need? Bring the car to my place and we'll figure it out when I get home from work."
    He put us up for the night, and gave me his truck and trailer to continue on to the Round Up.
    I asked "Why are you doing this? You don't know me from Adam. How do you know you can trust me to be in your house?" He said "You're HAMBers arent you? That's good enough for me!"

That was the day we met Doc. I'll look upon him as a friend for the rest of my life.

Also, being able to take a small part in the HAMBAndy deal really opened my eyes and heart and showed me the generosity and true caring nature of this bunch of softies.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  8. blown49

blown49
    Member Emeritus

I was able to talk to Bruce Lancaster about flathead stuff. Doesn't get any better than that.

9. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

The people. I've met a bunch of great friends from the HAMB. Without a doubt the best bunch of people in the world. No question.

My favorite HAMB memory is buying a Bonneville shirt for Megan (Chevygirlroxorhoweveryouspellit) when she was laid up after getting in her accident. She was supposed to go to Bonneville for the first time that year. So we got a shirt and had a bunch of people sign it and sent it to her. Why? Just because.

And personally is when my daughter was born and had some troubles. I posted hoping for prayers and expected a few kind words from my pals... what I got was nothing short of amazing. I really think the prayers of my HAMB brothers and sisters pulled her through.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274143

10. I got to buy Ken a beer^^^^^^^^^^and take him for a little cruise:)

11. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

That's my favorite too! The shirt, the salt and the pics were priceless. They helped pull me through a really terrible time in life.

When I first read this title I thought of all of the cool places I've gone and cars I've seen trying to decide what was the best BUT you're right Mike, it was that, the support I received post hot rod accident and the many friends I've made since. And meeting and becoming buds with Denise, because real hot rod girls are few and far between :rolleyes::D

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. poorboy

poorboy

coolest thing that ever happened to me was having my car be the victim during HAMBChop 03. I met a ton of cool people, had a blast, went to El Mirage, and got my Chevy chopped too! even my dad came along and had fun. he realized that not all HAMBers are a bunch og hoodlums. Good times. I still have the plaque that was made for me and signed by all the HAMBers there hanging on my wall!

pics
    http://www.johnsonsgarage.com/HAMBChop03/

[​IMG]

13. Mike53

Mike53

Toured Scary Larrys house.Awesome!

14. That was a GREAT day for me! I really enjoyed meeting Carla and you and tooling around the Rapid City area. I think of that day often.

One day I'll get to bring Vicki there, hopefully in the Caddy.

15. I had all the time in the world then. No house to build, no lilT to watch over. Just jump in the hotrod and go for a drive.
    We would love to have you and Vicki up here!

16. rixrex

rixrex

I was at work one day and saw a guy walk by with a Mo-Kan T-shirt, we got to talking and today I consider him one of my best friends...that sort of thing is whats best about this outfit..

17. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Being on the same page with a few thousand like minded guys and gals.:cool:

Frank

18. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

My Corvair will be shipped to me by a guy on the HAMB

19. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

What can I say. Sometimes I have a stroke of brilliance. Sometimes I'm just a stroke.

20. Taff

Taff

guy's willing to help you out at the drop of a hat (well, e-mail) when they haven't even met you, guy's like poverty flats, fuxl and 61 cad to name but three, all of whom have put themselves out on my behalf. good guys, and i hope i get the chance to return the favours sometime.
    kind of restores your faith in humanity sometimes, especially given some of the jerks i see on a daily basis

21. vivalahotrod

vivalahotrod

The H.A.M.B.has greatly reduced my chance of getting a DUI.
    (that's a good thing right)

22. Got a Very Cool PM and Invite from Hotrodladycrusr, might even get a cookie out of it.

23. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Hug yes, cookie no ;):D

24. All of the new people I have got to meet !!! >>>>.

25. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

you mean MEAT don't you??? :p

26. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

you guys are great, thank you so much to the Cross members for helping my family out of a jam, and thank you to the two guys who sent me work boots when I was too broke to afford any. It means the world to know there are good people here at the HAMB praying for my family. God bless you!! I have always loved rods, my project is too off topic and new for here, but i occasionally post something technical. I really enjoy reading al the tech stuff here and seeing the new projects, love this stuff. It's getting hard to find other people my age who enjoy fabricating stuff, and being creative with their cars, In the import community I spend a lot of time in, it's almost unheard of to make anything yourself, so I enjoy being here a lot. I figure if something came out of a catalog, it's not unique because 1000000 other people have the same thing, make it yourself and no one has what you do. There's a lot of that good attitude about doing it yourself here. :)

27. 47 ford

47 ford

I met SlowandLow63 who is doing kick ass body and paint work on my car and Mike47 who did excellent work on the car

Also the advice and stories keep me laughin for hours on end

28. The cars and realted stuff is great but it's become secondary. It's the people. I'm made more friends in hot rodding due to the HAMB. Locally and around the county. Heck, around the world. It really is pretty special. It's like a family.
    I bought a nailhead within a few months of being on here and a few other parts.
    Become friends with some hot rodding icons and seen some amazing cars. It's changed the way I look at cars too. My own rod.

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Meat people...Jeffery Dahmer's favorite kind! :eek: