Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs New driver/mild custom1953 Desoto

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by heavytlc, Sep 14, 2009.

1. heavytlc

heavytlc

I remembered Ryan writing about the 20k custom. I have always started with junk, and have either spent way too much money or had to do so much work that I grew to dislike the car/truck. The idea of starting with a super clean,nice driving stock car was very appealing. It is very hard to find a 50+ year old car that is real nice that has not been "restored".

I have a few ebay searches that I do every day. The 1953 Desoto came up. It was real clean, but the pictures left lots of questions, and the description was Okay, but did not impress. I called the seller, his wife was polite when she answered phone, he was a very well spoken southern gentleman. He answered my questions, and it seemed like a great car. I was sure I would get out bid, but told the seller I would call him when the auction ended, if I won.

I was only bumped $50 from my opening bid, and I won the car. I made plans to pick it up the day after labor day(the auction ended the Sunday before labor day). I loaded up the trailer and headed to Maryville Tn, 50 miles or so south of Knoxville. I did not get to his house untill 10pm, so It was too dark to take qany pictures. The car was nicer than I had hoped. The seller was very nice, told me everything he knew about the car,it was owned by his neighbor of 32years, a retired school teacher that died a few years ago.

The whole way home I was planning out the details of building a mild custom with My new Desoto. It is a 63,000 mile, bone stock car with a very nice repaint. The interior is all stock with only a few tears in the front seat.
    Great glass, every light works, the AM radio works, horn, everything is in perfect working order.

I am doing a non power dual curcuit Master cylinder under the floor, disks up front from Scarebird. I ordered A front end rebuild from Kanter, dropped uprights from Fatman. I will reverse the main leafs in the rear, so I can use shorter blocks.I have a fresh rebuilt Disc braked ford 8.8 rear, 3.55 posi that will be perfect, it gets better brakes, a good parking brake, better gears, real wheel studs, better u-joints. Talked to Tom Langdon, and will be putting a twin carb intake, and split duals on the stock Flat6.

I Bought a new water pump, belt, and replaced all the hoses. I always pull the Oil pan on my old cars when they come to me, I assume the grey sludge that has been in the pan of every pre emission engine I have ever owned is lead from leaded gas? I welded a full 3/8 skid plate. I have had to replace the oil pan on my last 3 cars, so I figured I would solve the problem before it happened this time.

I Am sending the bumper and all the grill teeth to Custom Metal Finishing for rechroming. The interior is getting the full white vinyl tuck and roll. Not shaving any trim yet, so I can have the car done before the first of December.

With the Body color i am not sure What color to paint the dash and garnish molding. The body is a pale mint Green color. Jade green, or Garnet red are the two colors I was thinking. I would like a heavy flake, but I am not so sure. I think a nice metallic would look classy. I am going for the look of a car that was a year or two old and got dropped of at a shop for some speed/hop up parts and work, a little lowering and a custom interior. I want the car to be different by being super clean, and mild. Everything will get customized, just nothing crazy, and nothing with out a logical purpose.

Chrome spiders and rings on black wheels are what I always do, but I think full hub caps will go more with the look I am after. Not the stock caps though.

I will post up some more pictures tonight when i get back to the shop.

Attached Files:

2. kwoodyh

kwoodyh

What a score! Going to make a sweet ride!

3. Nice Stuff Jason. Congrats on the new ride. Oh btw - I owe you for the shirt and the Stuffed animal! Thanks again. Josh

4. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

NICE!!

The '53-54 DeSotos are my favorite of the pre-Forward Look Mopars. Great body lines and you just never see them. Can't wait to see this one get built. :cool:

5. heavytlc

heavytlc

I am happy with this car. It will be a very reasonable build cost. I will have a nice custom, every inch will have a nice finish. Fully detailed trunk, pinstriped toolbox, gas can, the works.

Any input on dash and garnish color/finish? Like I said jade green or garnet red were the colors I was thinking. Would heavy flake be too much? My gut feeling is that the heavy flake would lookout of place.

6. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

No heavy flake... that's really more a '60s thing (yes I know there were some flake jobs in the late '50s).

Simple black dash, maybe some striping... or if you want to get fancy, chrome the dash and garnish mouldings. ;)

[​IMG]

7. heavytlc

heavytlc

I am thinking about chroming the garnish molding, but the dash will get painted. I am going for metallic, no heavy flake. I love the look, but not for this car. Using my Martha Stewart color book, I think either color (jade green or garnet red) will work for the dash. I would match the carpet to the dash, so it will set the tone or the interior.

Anyone heading to Austin? A fat lucky interior would make my pants fit funny. I figure 3-5k for my interior. Vinyl and carpet only. My chrome bill will be more than the cost of the car. I can't do my own chrome or interior, otherwise it is all my own two hands doing the work. I feel like I am building a 1-800 car though. It is so cool just having to upgrades, not patch panels.

8. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Really, REALLY good starting point.

9. Vorhese

Vorhese

Wow you're going all out

10. heavytlc

heavytlc

Vorhese, I was going to ask you about your car. You cut one coil upfront, right? How is the ride? would you still cut a coil, if you did? I had thought about bags, building a hot 354 hemi, all kinds of dumb stuff. When I saw the car I knew exactly what I was going to do. It was like finding a 1953 Desoto powermaster on a used car lot in 1956. Mild custom all the way.

Ryan, it is all your fault. I drive my cars hard, but I have never built a pre 1964 car that I could be real proud of(lots of nice o/t stuff). I want a no apologies car. Sure I might put a 4speed automatic in it later, might convert to 12 volt, but it will be finished.

I built my 8000 sqft shop in Greenville so I would have space to work. I am working on this car in my old shop in North Carolina. I missed my house, and my old shop has so many memories it just feels right working there. It is a 120mile round trip, but it is so worth it.

Tudor dont talk about the stuffed animal, I thought that was our little secret... Did your daughter like it?

11. Vorhese

Vorhese

Yeh I cut one coil in front, 3" blocks in rear. The front can still go down a little, but I'm going to see if it settles first. Ride is fine, a little tighter and less wobbly so far. I haven't gone far yet to really test it, as I have no brakes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  12. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have real good working stock brakes. I will have some parts if you need anything. I am keeping everything I take off, but I could give up some brake parts to help you out. Let me know what you need.

I am not sure if I will cut anything from the front coils, I am waiting on a call back from Gambino customs about the dropped uprights. 3" blocks, and reversing the eyes in the rear was my plan. Might be lower than I want. I plan on pulling all the chrome and bumpers tonight, so I can get them shipped off to the chrome shop. Tomorrow night will be removing the front suspension to take it to my powder coating shop. Kind of hard to figure ride height with everything off the car.

So was the one coil about 2" lower?

13. heavytlc

heavytlc

Alex Gambino has my dropped uprights on the way. I have the bumpers and grill teeth off to go to the chrome shop. Jade Green metallic is going to be the dash color. Not sure if the garnish is going to be chrome, or Jade Green. Might paint the roof Jade green. I am going to nose and deck the car. it looks much better with a bit less trim.

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

looks great, the stance is perfect as is! nice car!

15. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I agree, car looks great. Two doors of that car are hard to find......

16. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

17. Vorhese

Vorhese

Hey thanks for the offer, I think I'm ok. 1 coil from the front, MAYBE 2". Probably closer to 1.5".

I don't know your plans but here's what the fiberglass skirts and an original visor I found look like
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quicky photo-mo-shop
    [​IMG]

Looks like you got a nice starting point to work with. If it helps you in any way, here's the gallery of my Desoto. Visual aids and what not.
    http://vorhese.com/gallery/album265?page=1

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  18. heavytlc

heavytlc

Alex Gambino got my Fatman dropped uprights to me. He will be my first call if I need anything he sells, very stand up guy. I have the whole front end apart ready to go to the powdercoating shop. I am going to have to reassemble everything to weld up some shock mounts on the uprights. I guess they changed the design, so much for a head start.

I was looking at the spring pocket on the lower control arms, and thought damn you could just drop the pocket and not have to cut the springs. Did a little searching and Find out it is a common mod. I like learning new things.

I have the control arm at my shop in South Carolina, the monster metal building with basic tools. My shop in North Carolina has the lift, big commpressor, plazma, mill, you get the idea. Three drill bits and a center punch remove rivets rather well. I have a drill and bits. it took 10minutes or so per arm, but you can see the results. Simple tech, even a cave man could do it.

I got the perches removed from the disc braked ford explorer 8.8, new pads, and parking brake shoes, fresh 3.55 gear and lsd.

Tonight i will build the 1" bolt in pocket drops, and load the 355ci on the floor stand up for the O/T strip car. The 3x2 385 sbc needs to find a car, I wish I had a car that turned me on enough to install it.

Attached Files:

19. heavytlc

heavytlc

After a couple of pm's I have the chrome stuff worked out, Thanks ChromeplaterJosh. The speed parts are in the works, split dual exhaust, 2 carb intake from stovebolt's. I picked up a set of aluminum side covers for the flathead.

This is far from my first build, but I have to remind myself that 3-4months is a quick build. I have a few that are past the 10 year mark, so I guess it is all good. I cant wait to cruise in the Desoto... I put 5000miles on the fairlane in one month. I enjoy driving as much as building.

20. 73RR

73RR

Great Looking Car !

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jason, that's a great car. Five years ago, I sold my '54 DeSoto 2 dr sedan to a good friend and have been trying to buy it back ever since. I had the six with Powerflite. It drove as smoothly as a new car, great on the highway. I hope you have many years of fun with yours

Duncan

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Go on with your bad self.... glad to see you getting a custom going

23. heavytlc

heavytlc

Zman, it will be nice to ride in style next year. I have made progress with all my projects, but nothing is 100% done. My Desoto is "THE ONE" . The nice period custom, that I can enjoy.

24. my47soto

my47soto

Very sexy car bro, keep us posted on all your mods I'm curious as to what type of ideas you got. Im currently building a 48 Desoto. I love these cars:D

25. heavytlc

heavytlc

Hide your ladies and tie up your dogs. The Desoto will be in Austin at the round up. I will be driving down and flying home. The Desoto will have a nice piece of ASS. Full custom Austin Speed Shop interior. I can hardly wait.

26. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Dude, damn... you go... damn...

27. heavytlc

heavytlc

I think it will be good. I have alot of work to do before April. I am at the point that all the chrome us headed out, powder coat is ready to drop off, not a whole lot to do until pates come back. I will be pressure washing the frame and painting it. The car has no suspension or rear axle, just setting on my 2 post lift.

I ordered my aluminum head. It is 12-16weeks out. Looking for hubcaps now. It is going to be 5-6 weeks before I have much to work with.

28. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

oh and you can always ride back with me. I can drop you in Asheville. Save some loot.

29. heavytlc

heavytlc

That would be cool. I rode Half way across the country with you the day I meet you. Are you driving the Buick?

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that's the plan