Register now to get rid of these ads!

Damn shame - south Mississippi u-pull find

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by retromotors, Mar 17, 2009.

1. retromotors

retromotors

Somewhat dated info - a couple weeks old.

Was cruising Barry's u-pull on I-10 in Gulfport, MS, happened to have my camera along.
    Found this mid-'60s Chrysler 4-door hardtop sittin' in one of the lines. (Not sure of exact year, possibly a couple years OT - if so, sue me!):D

Basically pretty straight, cancer-free car. All the chrome is there, hood sitting on top of car. Engine and transmission gone, otherwise really complete.
    Radio's been robbed, otherwise complete dash/instruments.
    What really caught my attention was the interior! Low-back buckets with matching console. Other than the driver's seat being blown away, it has a really fine leather interior in a sorta oxblood color with ivory/bone colored piping and buttons. The leather felt good, not all dried out. Back seat looks fine.
    Big ol' chrome seat surrounds wrap completely around the seat backs.
    Door panels looked pretty good too.

The shame of it is ... the car is about halfway down one of the rows. Even if they would sell the whole car at a reasonable price, they probably wouldn't want to dig it out.
    It's about 40 miles from me, but I have family in the area so I get down that way frequently. If anyone is close enough to be interested, I could check on the current status of the car. As far as purchases/negotiations, I'll give you the contact info ... then you're on your own!:eek:

A damn shame this one seems to be headed for oblivion. If nothing else the interior could make a nice basis for someone's rod or custom. They have pretty reasonable prices ... I think the whole interior (seats & console) would cost about $50 - $60.

Any interest?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. Rudebaker

Rudebaker
    from Illinois

Got all five fifteen inch wheels for my Stude off a '69-'70 Ploaris 4 dr. in exactly that same condition in the local U Pull......... Not a Mopar guy but it was sad to see such a straight, complete, rust free car in the boneyard. Had a perfect black interior in it too.

3. Dammit! I used to live on the Miss. coast, and Barry's u-pull it is one of the things I miss most!! I have seen some real treasures in there over the years. Whenever I visit, I try to walk through.

4. Barry's won't sell any whole bodies...I've tried several times. Only way you'll get a body from there is to meet the person who owns it in the parking lot before they sell it to Barrys. Unless you're the dude who crunches them into little stacks and loads them onto a flatbed. As soon as Barrys buys them, the titles are processed to the state for destruction. Once that happens, it can never be titled again, anywhere, at least with that VIN. I didn't see that one when I was there Sunday, but I was trying to get in and out before I got rained on too...didnt make it and got friggin wet.

5. retromotors

retromotors

Yeah, I kinda figured the deal would be something like that. Shucks!

I hear ya on the gettin' wet! It's been a pretty damp couple days. I stepped off the back porch last night onto a slick spot and broke into a breakdance that woulda made any "urban youth" proud!
    Managed to stay upright, but almost not so for my sweetie ... she was laughing so hard she almost busted her own ass! Said she didn't know the old fart had that many moves ... to be honest neither did I.:eek:

Looking fine this morning though. I've got a bunch of work to do getting the running, almost running and project vehicles ready for a move. Bought a new place near Meridian, MS and we're closing the deal in a couple weeks. (When I say "new", I mean new to me. It's actually over a hundred years old.)
    Meridian will be new ground for me. Can't wait to start beating the bushes up in that area ... see if I can root up some of those barn finds. Maybe there will be a Barry's-type yard within reasonable distance.

6. Timmy Z

Timmy Z

Kinda of a shame ..looks like a 4dr ht...I used to own a 66 Newport 2ht 383 and i still talk about that car ..bought her for 800 bucks rebuilt the 727 and drove her everywhere for 5 years plus ....she never let me down.

7. farmboat

farmboat
    from Lucas, KY

I'm suing that's a 30's model. We won't go to court if you'll scavenge that interior for me. Was the driver's seat busted?

8. retromotors

retromotors

Aw hell .... here we go to court again! We got one of those hangin' judges down here, too. If I recall his last words to me were something like "Son ... (yeah, it was a while back!) ... if you ever show up in my courtroom again, for any reason, I'm gonna ... yada yada yada".

Ummm ... I didn't really inspect it too closely, but I think the driver's seat was OK structurally and trim-wise, just cover and bottom padding sorta screwed as can be partially seen in one of the pics.

9. Console's probably worth some good money, buckets maybe too if they'll fold like 2-door buckets do.

10. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Heaven has to be a really good U-Pull-It?
    Okay,with a good machine shop and a bunch of hot rod parts all over too?

There's one up the way a bud and I go to.Scored a 50,000 mile 700r4 for $100/20 core from a church van in super shape.
    My cheeks hurt from grinning so much.

11. Newbomb Turk

Newbomb Turk

That's a 66 New Yorker. If you can pull that interior for less than $100 DO IT! There are alotta Mopar guys that would love it! Also, any trim, light bezels, grill, if it's nice PULL IT! You'll make money. Here's my old 66 Newport.

[​IMG]

12. retromotors

retromotors

I hear ya. I was/am tempted to do just that, except for two things:

I'm busy getting ready to do a 150-mile move in a couple weeks, and I really don't need to be gathering more shit at the moment. In fact I'm considering putting a couple of my projects up for sale so I don't have to drag 'em along.

Secondly (and probably most relevant), living in a .... um, shall we say "backwater" (i.e. not the Left Coast or one of the other automotive hotbeds) is kind of a double-edged sword.
    You can sometimes find stuff that would long ago have been snapped up in one of the more motor-savvy areas of the country, and cheap too.
    BUT!
    You're also a hell of a long way from those same areas where most of your prospective buyers are. I've done a lot of shipping both in the US and worldwide (there's some young Vespa scooter pilot running around in Malta with a pair of my old motorcycle goggles!) With parts as large as these, you run into a major PITA and serious shipping costs.

Still .... the thought persists!:rolleyes:

13. plodge55aqua

plodge55aqua
    from Alberta

We have Vultures up here.. that would of been picked clean to the bone.. and maybe a few of those missing too..

14. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Plenty of vultures out here too,it seems like almost any vintage car that ends up in the u-pull-it is picked clean,no matter what kind of car it is.

15. James Maxwell

James Maxwell
    from So-Cal

That's a bad thing?

People re-cycle, sell on Ebay. It all helps the hobby.

16. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

that's true,but it sucks when it's a car i have,and parts I need are missing from it already :mad: