Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. baldtireman

baldtireman

Does anybody have any idea what became of the Ross Westover owned
    "Circle 3" sprint roadster that came out of the Steubenville,Ohio area in the 1963-64-65 era. It was bright red,had a "Watson type nose and tail,was very well finished,as I remember,and was driven by "Howard Jones". I only saw it a few times,at Greater Pittsburgh Speedway,also referred to as "Clinton",a very smooth,racy 1/4 mile,promoted by the late
    J.R.(Whitey) Hollowood. John S.

2. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Did Grady have a son by the name of Harry?

3. BZNEIL,you were right,who would have thought making flat panels would be difficult?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  4. Buildy

Buildy

Looks like the ex Johnny Thomson Schmidt Spl Kuzma to me.

The car on the outside is a Kuzma too.

[​IMG]

5. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

Does anybody know anything about this iti engine which took Levi to victory las night at Gas City?
    Same question about the Viper chassis?
    Thanks for any info.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I really don't follow the generic, cookie cutter... err modern... sprint cars too much anymore, but a quick google search came up with this:

http://www.itimotorsports.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=13

7. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The lack of a headrest and the S in the front bumper makes me agree. FWIW, ChampCar Stats lists it as owned by Altfater (typo? and should be Alfater?) Can't find any evidence that it was ever raced again, at least under that ownership and number. (?)

8. Spike Ruth

Spike Ruth

9. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

What Levi are you talking about? The sprint car Levi I know of ran several laps at the end of the feature with a completely flat right rear tire at the Terre Haute USAC show.

10. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Your sprinter is looking awesome! The nose and grill rework looks really good. Flows into the grill nicely. How many cageless sprinters are in Great Britain?

11. grumpy racer

grumpy racer
    from Indy

That was Saturday they are talking about Friday nite at Gas-city

12. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

Aaaahhhhh IC! The time from the post said that it was from today. That's what threw me off! He did have a wicked run last night, running several laps on a flat RR and just as hard as every other lap he had ran. It was kinda cool seeing that right rear deforming like a top fuel dragster. I'm not sure where he finished, but it was much higher than if he'd changed it.

13. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

Levi ended up 10th, which I think was the last car running. It was a little hard to keep track though, what with Coons running out of fuel as he took the white flag, and Levi trying to hang on to whatever he could, there were sprinters going everywhere on the front stretch.
    Nice try, though. Gotta have huevos to haul her into the turn and hope the beadlock doesn't dig in. Made my first trip to Terre Haute since moving out here a memorable one.

14. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Time for a little "Update on history" and an APOLOGY from me!!

Roy posted this very popular video from ascot back on page 138.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8XGbzzpUA0&feature=related

It show's a sprinter flip, and chuck it's driver out out the seat and on to the track very easily..

At the time, I made the comment:

"I'm covinced that Dumb Ass wasn't wearing his belts"

Well, He was.. and he also doesn't appreciate being called a Dumb Ass!:D

John Kellar is his name, He E-mailed me and we talked about that night. He was as NICE AS CAN BE, and said not only was he strapped in, but after the race, (and after he woke up from his long stay in the hostpital) the car owners informed him that they found NO broken belts or hook-ups..

It's just a wild/weird racing deal that we sometimes see..

I was glad to hear from him, and happy to hear that he is REALLY enjoying the thread, and will be caught up with us soon.

I welcome him, and hope to hear from him on here.

Again, Sorry for calling you a Dumb Ass, I have GREAT respect for all of you guys that were there, and DID IT!!

Joshua Shaw

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  15. HanibleH20

HanibleH20

He did an awesome job hanging on and didn't drop to the back as fast as I expected. I wonder how many spots he lost after the tire finally shredded at the very end. I know it didn't come apart near as fast as I had expected.

16. BZNEIL,I dont think we have any ,I have only seen about six sprinters,and these are all early 40's cars, imported from the USA.Most of these cars are raced,and registered for street use ,because they were built pre WW II . The closest cars we have are 'Stock Cars' raced on dirt or pavement tracks.Stock Car racing was very popular in the early 1950's ,but racing was expensive,so guys would protect their rides with crude 'barge bars' nurf bars and anything that would protect tires.As these cars were modified the 'stock bodies' gave way to the cars we have today.There was a local track within a mile of where I live,but this is long gone,the nearest track is now 200 miles away from me but these are NOT sprint cars.

Attached Files:

17. grumpy racer

grumpy racer
    from Indy

I talked to Joe today at work he was giving us all the details on these cars what a great talk. I did not want to post anything til I talked to him. There were 3 cars originally built welds car had a lot of allum. body parts but the other 2 were mostly fiberglass. The car that Gibson's ran back east was destroyed,Joe said they cut it into 24 inch pieces and scraped it. There was a 4th car built a copy but not exactly the same as the original. The power steering was out of a buick skylark and Tommy lee built his casting's from what they came up with. Man Joe remember's everthing about these cars if you ever have the time stop by Brownsburge and talk to him well worth the time.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  18. rick goetz

rick goetz

I took these pics in Milwaukee on the lake front last month at the Masterpiece Car Show.

Attached Files:

19. I love vintage sprint cars, though I know very little about them compared to all the people posting here.

The only thing I have to contribute is this photo taken at the L.A. Coliseum in 1946, I believe, showing left to right; Babe Stapp, Sam Hanks (in car), Roscoe Turner, Louis Meyer and Pete DePaolo.

Mick

Attached Files:

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

That's quite a group, all survivors of an era in which the odds were waaay against them. The car is one of the winningest midgets ever, Hanks raced it far and wide, winning tons of races, lots of money and becoming very famous.

Attached Files:

21. vintageracer37

vintageracer37

Looking at the pictures of the Hanks car, I am struck by the similarities to the post war "Solar" midgets. Coincidence or by design?

Sean

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Roy Richter built it around 1938 or so. Don't think there was ever any connection between him and Solar though (?)

23. Coyote X14

Coyote X14

Hey guys
    I was wondering if any of ya have a set of halibrand q/c 301 12 hole side bell cover plates. My q/c has 12 holes and my old 301 q/c has 11 holes so my side plates wont interchange with my new q/c. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Scott

24. There's a set for 2" live axle (Nance not Halibrand) on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hali...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  25. PK

PK
    from Ohio

I was reading Corngrowers apology to John Kellar re: the seat belt remark... Josh that was class! It is honesty like this that makes the thread so different from some of the others I've read. Thanks to everyone who share their pics, stories, technical advice, and when appropriate an apology.
    Blessings,
    PK

26. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep Johnny Fast, ya beat me to it! I got on here to post that link!

Thanks!

---------------------------

Thanks PK. ;)

27. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Off subject a little, but I got a new crew chief for my midget racing team today.

[​IMG]

28. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Typical crew chief.... He probably works for scraps..

ZOOOM

29. jjones752

jjones752
    from Indy

30. Speedrome

Speedrome
    from Irving, TX

Vintage race cars will be at Manifolds on Main on 9-26-09. Come out and see us. We will have everything from CAE and Miller Derby to Hillegass and the O'Day Offy.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=398929

Wetteroth midget
    [​IMG]

Rahn Kurtis midget
    [​IMG]

Miller Derby
    [​IMG]

Henry sprint car
    [​IMG]

O'Day Offy
    [​IMG]

We are expecting over 20 vintage race cars.

Bart