Register now to get rid of these ads!

MEXICAN MERC 50...... pix

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sled, Dec 20, 2007.

1. FantaC

FantaC
    from Australia

Met Tom here in WA Perth a few years ago now . He showed me some neat tricks with metal
    Might have to contact him to see if he can get me some work :)
    What part of Mexico are you located ?
    Cheers John Gilbert
    P.S love the Mercury Tom only gets better with age :)

2. sled

sled

Gday John,yeah...Tom is gettin better with age and ...good tequila,ah,ah,ah!!
    I'll PM you the details....
    cheers Sled

3. Muerte_Ventura

Muerte_Ventura
    from Austria

silent tequilla hands doing a good job!

4. Hot Rodz R Us

Hot Rodz R Us
    Member Emeritus

Unbelievable work....going to look awwwwwwwsome

5. sled

sled

Guys,need to take some more updated shots and put em here...been busy around lately but will try to show the progress...
    Tom is leavin tomorrow for his X-mas holidays anyway,so there will be a small break on the project....will be pushin again soon,happy holydays to all....Sled

6. Muerte_Ventura

Muerte_Ventura
    from Austria

thats right but you have to see the merc with your own eyes, on the pics you can not see all the awsome thinks tom made on the merc !!!!!!!!

7. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    It's been a while but here we go....The Merc 50 is keep going,not as fast i want but slowly is comin togheter...Tom cutted the inner top metal above the winshield and built already a new piece....Man,is amazing that has been rusted out above there,
    Anyway,the new piece will be installed after the holydays....also looks like the rear end is almost in polace with most metalwork done and fully tight in place.
    Since we used a 49 trunk lid in much better conds the trunk hinges have been consequently cutted,straigthened and reinstalled in place..Very tedious work,to align all up again with the proverbial 3 mill gap ...as it should be.
    Still some final welding to do but basically is all solid back there...
    The actual doors have been just tested on and they close fine....of course they still need the full treatment....a long to go still!
    More to come....Sled

Attached Files:

8. Magnus B

Magnus B

Sled:
    Details,details....some innner braces done,and the brand new trunk hinges support is already in place..this is a priority cause the trunk hinges are attached there and they determine the trunk alignment....it's over in that area.Later on it will be cutted to plce some hidden speakers on it....rounded corners,you gotta have em!!!They will be more around...
    Still haven't decided what tailights....waitin for further inspiration,will see....
    That's all for this year fellas,happy holydays from Mexico to all .....catcha soon,Sled

Attached Files:

9. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

I can't believe I've missed this thread...WOW, what a build!!
    The metal work you're doing on this Merc is unbelievable...awesome!!!

For me, it's very humbling to see the metal shaping talents some of you guys have. I'll go outside and bang my head on my fender now! haha

Awesome build, thanks for sharing all of the detail shots...keep the updates coming.

10. fiki

fiki

Waited to see whats going on with this car...some progress as i can see...and some great work from Tom naturally!
    Hope to see this car running very soon...

11. kma4444

kma4444

Thanks for taking the time to document your work. This is great, it's nice to see someone who has done something that was probably less that sane to undertake. I have been questioned on some of my projects so it will serve as some reassurance when I can look at what you've accomplished.

You truly started with a bucket of rusty metal that just happened to be in the rough shape of a Merc. How amazing it must be to you to walk by what now rests where that scrap pile reject once was. Great work!!!

I should have been working the last hour or so but this thread just made me sit here and go through the whole thing. THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!!

12. sled

sled

Thanks a lot guys for the kind words...yeah,Tom is a very humble person ad he's the metal artist behind my Merc....nothin is impossible for this aussie friend!!
    BTW,yeah..we have saved all original metal rusted to death parts and when i see em i think myself,WOW....how amazing has been the change from old to new...really to a freakin cool vibe to see growin up this car again...
    Lookin now for some vintage valve covers and multi carb solution for the 454....has to look vintage and cool...
    Anyway,see ya soon....Sled

13. Kafi

Kafi
    from Hungary

Tom is the wizard of metal.
    He know what is he doing.

14. Led Dog

Led Dog
    from MD, USA

Fantastic job, I read this thread over and over just to stay inspired on my '50 Merc. I see you are working on the rear quarter window molding. What are your plans for bending it? I am in a similiar situation and cannot figure out how to make that sharp bend at the rear-most point without kinking the molding. I want to have the car look at "factory" as possible so I am tig welding some moldings but stil stuck on the secret of bending the stuff...any sugggs would be great.

Led Dog...

15. sled

sled

Led Dog,well..i assume you're talkin of the inner garnish moldings..so,lot of patience there...they've been cut in many pieces and the slowly given the desired shape..at the very end since the highly slated pillars the raear corner is very tight,you hav to build taht one separately ..use the shrinker/stretcher machine..but stil requires lot of hand work to get all the puzzle fit togheter...i remember the first was more fiddly hence the first one..then the 2nd came up much faster with less cuts and work....but yeah,fiddly at list...
    i do have many pics..in case PM me yor email adress and if helps i'll send you some to look closely...
    good luck on your built...post some pics for all Hambers to check out or open your thread...Sled

16. Tom.Sweden

Tom.Sweden
    from Sweden

Hello Sled, Tom here, looks really good. That metal guy friend you`ve got is worth gold, that metalwork he is doing is sick. Hope to see you in that merc one day and It would be fun too have one my self but my caddy will do just fine right now, hope too meet you in Sweden 2009, Good luck with this project and also all the other mercs and cars you`ve got.
    Reegards, Tom

Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  17. sled

sled

Hey Tom,really cool to hear from you finally!!!You'll have a lot of fun in the Hamb family for sure....
    Yeah,Tom is an outstanding metalwok and a really cool guy,nothin is impossible for him....so,car is coming up nicely,im happy with those lines and we really took out time checkin and standin at the car from all angles tryin to criticize the worse being very peaky on the flow..of course is not finished yet,so it will improve ....

Tom,since you're a newbie here i welcome you personally and please,introduce yourself in the new members section..tell who you are,your love for cars and so on....plenty to learn here and you'll find lot of knowleadgbe fellas here...

You got all the time to discover it...

yeah,i plan to came down to Scandinavia next summer,you know i'll love it over there..so much culture!!

keep in touch via PM , take care Sled

18. ricardo_rocha

ricardo_rocha
    from Brazil

19. C'mon Sled.

The holiday is over.

Back into the Merc.

20. ram-rod

ram-rod

hey sled some more photos would be great. I came looking for this thread last night and it popped to the top tonight

keep up the good work Ian downunder

21. woody2

woody2

Wow, I don't know how I missed this one. You two are metal Gods this thead would have to be the most amazing I've come across to date.;)
    Keep up the outstanding work, I look forward to more updates.

22. Woody2
    I believe your work is pretty outstanding as well.:)

23. woody2

woody2

Lifestylz, Only believe half of what you see. And less of what you hear.:D

24. saving mercs one at a time keep up the good work

25. sled

sled

Hi all,has been a while.... trying to put things in place togheter to keep up with the 50 Merc of course soon...been ultra busy on many fronts but yep...time to roll again on this one...be patient, is coming back...

Thanks for all the encouragement...Sled

26. kma4444

kma4444

This one can't come back too soon!!!! This is a work of art in every sense of the word.

27. sled

sled

kma4444,im currently gettin reorganized to jump back on the Merc big time...as soon i start again i will be pushin til the end,no doubt...
    thanks for the kind words...Sled

28. Janne

Janne

Cant't wait see some progress.

29. sled

sled

Janne,i have to be reorganized to go forward with this project..im stuck right now but i have all the intentions to pull it over as soon i can,you bet...has to be done the right way...thanks Sled

30. Bash'n'Weld

Bash'n'Weld

Damn, I thought you were back on it.