Register now to get rid of these ads!

Thoughts about a 62 ford falcon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by solo_909, Sep 9, 2009.

1. solo_909

solo_909

Hey guys so im looking to buy a daily driver and wanted to see what everyone thought about the good ol 62 ford falcon. im more of a 51 Merc and ford guy but thats not within the budget right now. I just dont want to get something that people are going to laugh at or talk shit about. anyways what are your thoughts? good cars? cool enough to cruise around in daily?

2. akreone

akreone
    from SLC 801

I like em. They are definitely not a hot rod but make a great cruiser. I think you can pull off a mild custom look pretty well with some chrome reverse wheels and small whites, lower the car for a better stance and drive it. Don't expect to smoke the tires or win any races but you sure can have a good time cruising.

Look through this thread.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80033&highlight=falcons+done+right

3. PinHead

PinHead

I second that. I have a fairlane of that year but love the Falcons just as much. Would love one for a cheap daily driver.

Hot Rod used one for their "paint rustoleum with a roller" story a couple years back, and it came out very cool. You can see it here.

4. 62rebel

62rebel

there's a couple nice ones in the HAMB classifieds right now; they're in Cali like you, too bad for us on the other coast. i've had at least a dozen so far.... i LOVE 'em. if you're lucky to get a dry-air survivor and not a migrant from damper climes, you stand a pretty good chance of avoiding most of the rust issues the REST of us face. the best thing about them is that Ford made so many of them to start with... so you can do what you want with one and not "ruin an old classic" so to speak!

5. newfalconowner

newfalconowner
    from NS Canada

falcons are cool.. every model has there followers... You can make a great daily driver, or hotrod out of one... :D

6. Johnnyzoom

Johnnyzoom
    from Florida

Easy to get parts for and easy to maintain, decent mileage for a daily driver. I'd take one on over a modern car anyday.

7. H3O

H3O

i love mine. you can find mine in the greaserama pics. mine's a 62 futura. no problem with them.

8. H3O

H3O

here she is. cruises good. my favorite daily driver so far!! :D

[​IMG]

9. They get decent gas milage, but get a stick trans, a Rascal scooter is faster than one with an automatic. You can get a pretty decent one for not a lot of money, just bear in mind that should you change your mind they won't sell as easily as say.. a 57 Chevy or something.

10. White Devil

White Devil

Those are GREAT cars for daily driving. I've been driving a 63 Fairlane almost daily for about 5 years. I bet I've spent $500 on fixing stuff in that time aside from chainging the oil. You really can't go wrong with them, everything is pretty simple. The drums stop fine, the engines get you down the road, just throw an electronic ignition a new stereo in it and your set!

11. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

yep there pretty cool in my book. so what you been up to george?

12. H3O

H3O

haven't had a problem with my auto. only a 2spd but gets me everywhere. sticks are more fun but those two speeds work good.

13. flathead okie

flathead okie

my '63 Sprint is no slouch

Attached Files:

14. 61falcon

61falcon

i like em

heres mine

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  15. Ayers Garage

Ayers Garage

The day you stand up tall and do what you want without worrying about other people's opinion will be a liberating day in your life. Be a man, buy what you want. God knows you're going to be the one earning the money to pay for it, not the other people.

16. Senica

Senica

Damn...... that's hot!

17. dannyego

dannyego

not to hijack but does anyone kow a good falcon forum?

18. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

I have driven my '62 ford falcon DAILY on the HIGHWAY and regularly get it up to 80-85 for over a year and a half now.

19. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

I drove my 62 Falcon around for a while with the 170 and a C-4 trans (I added the C4). I upgraded to 5 lug disc brakes in front , Maverick 8 inch diff .

Now I just drag race the car with a hopped up 200 inline 6 engine.:cool:

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I second the rascal scooter comment! I've had my '62 Sports Futura for almost thirty years. been sitting quite awhile waiting for it's turn, but it's the only possession I have that is not for sale. Drove the thing nearly twenty years as a daily driver. For today though it will get a T-5 trans, and some disc brakes. Mine is also slated to get a turbo this time around for it's 250.

21. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

well mine is a Falcon Ranchero and i love it
    and i agree find a stick shift or one with a c4 conversion
    Paul Jug
    [​IMG]

22. falconeer

falconeer

Solo,
    I love Falcons. I must, I have 4 of them. Had more but sold them.
    If i had the room i would still have them.
    Try this to see my rookery.

http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/

23. Lucky444

Lucky444

Attached Files:

24. Falcon's were the Model A of the '60's,,great little cars, had a couple of 'em :)

25. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I dont know of an actual Falcon forum, but fordsix.com has a lot of good info..

26. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I'll second the suggestion that you try the Fordsix.com forums.

It's populated by a great bunch of guys, and they know the cars and the inline sixes that power most of them.

27. dirttoo

dirttoo

Go here. http://tffn.net/ The Ford Falcon News web site has a good forum. Just don't talk about putting a sbc in your Falcon or watch out. Real purists there.

28. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I have a '64 Comet which is the Falcon's slightly larger sister. It's pretty easy to find parts as lots of early Mustang and Maverick parts will interchange. There are also disc brake and alternator conversions available. Finding after market 4 x 4 1/2 pattern wheels can be a little challenging, but it's not too bad.

29. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Falcons and Hambers are like flies on shit!. Everytime there's a Falcon post it goes 5 pages.. Yeah, I like em too! I've had about 6 over the years... Drove , raced and customized them. A great economical all purpose car.

30. skwurl

skwurl

Not a 62 or a falcon but here's my wife's. I like em.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009