Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 57 F100 project.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITMARE, Sep 8, 2009.

1. NITMARE

NITMARE

Just picked her up today. Neighbor has had it sitting by his garage for 5 years unmoved asked him about it a little bit and he told me he'd let her go for $500.

I know there are a lot of 57+ effie haters out there but fuck it I think they have potential. Gonna drop it on bags and then repower with a yet to be determined V8 mill. Would like to pick up a Y block motor but likely gonna end up with a cleveland powerplant as I have one waiting. No matter how you look at it ya can't beat it for 500 bucks. Took me about an hour to get her running again and even took it around the block. I am stoked on this thing already! Been wanting to do a classic truck daily driver for awhile now and this one kinda fell in my lap. If you guys see a car you've always wondered about just knock on the door....every now and then it pays off.

Where I picked her up
    [​IMG]

Put a tire on the front of the dually and pushed it down 5 houses, haha

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Foot print gas pedal...check!
    [​IMG]

2. Holy crap you got that for $500?! :eek: Great score! Dig the big back window

3. 231ramona

231ramona

I love 57 Fords of any kind. The surfer foot gas pedal is worh almost as much as you paid for the truck. Great score. Good luck with it.

4. Suburban Viking

Suburban Viking
    from Atlanta

I've always thought they were so ugly they were cool.

5. LEE 01

LEE 01
    from illinois

if it's not rusty, it's a steal for 500. I have a running 57 y-block for sale if you want it, I'm in Illinois.

6. Jay Rush

Jay Rush

Why do 57 f100 never have the headlight rings on them did people take them off and use them for a Frisbee? good looking truck

7. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

I love these trucks you my man got an fn deal!

8. NITMARE

NITMARE

Thanks guy, I still can't believe I scored it for 500.

Looks like she needs a new distributor and the carb could use going through but other then a few hiccups every now and then it's mechanically pretty solid. Gonna work on getting the stance/ wheel tire combo right then just drive the thing for awhile with the current setup.

Lee_01 -PM sent

9. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

X2 on the smokin' deal. I personally love the second generation of F100s.

10. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

$500 ???? Holy Crap what a deal hiccups or not.Congrats.57s rule

11. 1946chevytruck

1946chevytruck
    BANNED
    from london ,ky

12. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Wow, that's wild. I have a '60 that had a Y. Use the Cleveland.

13. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Looks like you got a good deal.......

14. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Thank GOODNESS! I was gonna exclaim "NOOO!! JUST LOWER IT AND DRIVE IT!!"
    But you beat me to it.

I love those single-headlight '57's!!!
    And yours looks purdeeee. :)

(A suggestion? Bias-ply blackwalls on white steelies w/dog-dish hubcaps and a suitable [NOT extreme] lowering job... 3-4 inches? That would be cool as hell and all it needs!)

Oh, and I gotta ask, is a NIT-MARE some kinda horse?? :D :D :D

>Justin

15. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

HELL!!! I paid that for mine and it featured flat tires, no motor, and no trans!
    Killer score...

16. Huntfamily53

Huntfamily53
    from AZ

57's are one of the coolest...I have a 53 but I also have a soft spot for the 57 and would have jumped at the 500 dollar deal. That one looks in awesome shape and it runs!
    Good score!

I think you should leave it at the ride height now but thats just my opinion. Clevelands are cool too...that is what will be in my 53.

17. change the wheels and drive it. does it have the 223 6 in it. 57's are tough to find as everyone wants the single headlight model over the 58'-60's. $500 for a 57' custom cab running is a score.

18. Good score. I guess it does pay to approach the owner occasionally...might just end up with a kick ass little 57!!

19. NITMARE

NITMARE

I went through your entire build thread last night, that thing is SICK my man! Never woulda thought of going the gasser route with one of these but that thing is rad.

20. NITMARE

NITMARE

I'm always open to suggestions man, and I think we are pretty much on the same page.

Oh and the name....nicknamed "nightmare" and that's the only version that was available to fit on my plate back in the day on my car. ( but that was a Mustang and we don't talk about those here ;))

21. Great deal...welcome to the club of '57-60 "non-haters"

Lots of good threads on the HAMB about how we got our stance down to acceptable...mines a long bed too, and they look great low IMHO

22. Javier

Javier
    1. Strugglers C.C.

I think he's right about that:D

23. CRUZN60

CRUZN60

Great looking truck.
    GREAT DEAL.

24. NITMARE

NITMARE

I actually like the long beds when they are sitting low also. She'll be a good bike hauler too.

So far I am considering going hunting for an 03+ crown vic IFS. Anybody have anything good or bad to say about that swap? Seems like a good route to get a steering rack, discs, and a drop all in one shot without going to an Art Morrison or the like.

25. Lumpster

Lumpster

DANG ! 500 BONES?!?!?!?!?!? Dude, thats not a deal..... that truck is practically stolen! I hate you!....lol

26. There's some good information on this thread:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=324368

A really cool way to go about it on the cheap:
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153730

If the parts had been around when I started mine (1999) I probably would have gone the dropped I-beam route with front discs. As it stands, I use a Mustang II with dropped spindles and 1980's Mustang GT springs.

The 2nd thread above is great, by lodaddyo here on the HAMB...

The Crown Vic front seems to be the cheap, plentiful, source right now for IFS, as Volare's were a few years back. I haven't seen one done, so I don't know how clean they look under the hood. A Mustang II set-up has it's pro's/con's but they sure look clean when you pop the hood.

Hope this helps...

BRT

27. NITMARE

NITMARE

Thanks a lot BRT!!

I'm now thinking I like the looks of the way lodaddyo did his. Plus I could knock it out this weekend and be half way there already.

Btw, your rig has a killer stance to it also

28. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Holy Shit! $500! Your must have some wicked good karma. Did you feed the homeless or walk a little old lady across the street?

I drop my 58 using reverse eye mono-leaf springs up front and putting the axle over the springs in the rear. Dropped the truck 5 1/4 " easy.

Congrats on your new ride!

100% Matt

29. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Nice looking long-bed,great price too.

30. Big Khaunaa

Big Khaunaa

i'm going to crown vic if i keep mine but it may have to go to one of the people that have made offers on it