Register now to get rid of these ads!

History National Roadster Show 1957

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. rob lee

rob lee
    from omaha,ne

Cool,Just went to the GNRS for the first time last year.Alot of history in that show. Thanks for posting!

3. Hey everyone, enjoy the show but first, let me bum you out with an editorial on manners and traffic deaths!

Buzzkill 1957.

4. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's funny that on Page 3 in the Welcome section it states the the "the show cars are no million dollar dream cars..." I know they were talking about corporate dream cars but I wonder if the folks who wrote that are still around to see how much is invested into the top-flite show rods today.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Gorgeous photos... I've never seen those...

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

"a young Roy Brizio"

very young. I don't think he was born yet.:D

I went to every Oakland from 1976 until the crappy end.:(

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  7. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Those three photos posted need to be seen in High Red Glory!!!

I would like to see more photos of how it was set up in Oakland for comparison of scale to the Pomona. I know it's not going to be close to the size it is now but I'm just curious.

8. that would be his dad, commonly called Andy. ;)

9. MilesM

MilesM

Wow, hope you or someone follows up with the next years. I want to see 61.

10. wicked! man i wish i was born 50 years sooner!

11. You might have noticed this entry in the "Competition Roadster" class:

Entry 152.png

Fast forward 50 years ... and JOHN WALSH was showing yet another one of his "Competition Roadsters" ... this time in the "Deuce Room" @ the 2007 GNRS:

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    images by Al Liebmann (@NITROFC)

NOTE: There's more pics & some info about the (John) Walsh ~ (Tom) Walsh ~ (Tom) Cusack #333 Bonneville Street Roadster in my "Bonneville" album (just click HERE).

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
  12. Frank Livingston entered his '49 Chevy Fastback in the 1957 show:

Frank Livingston's 49 Chev Circa 57 - 1.jpg
    Frank Livingston's 49 Chev Circa 57 - 2.jpg

... went home with the Custom Car d'Elegance and the Colonite Wax Best Paint awards!

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  13. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

I'll be posting the 58 and 59 Roadster show programs in my next two Journal entries-- Hope pics from those shows get posted too..

14. Born a HotRodGal

Born a HotRodGal

Yep, That young Roy Brizio is actually my Dad Andy, his real name is Roy.

Great story, I look forward to the next ones.

Thanks

15. ... and hopefully not just of the "Ala Kart" @ the '58 & '59 shows.

16. Terri (Born a HotRodGal) ... any pics of your dad's old Deuce 5-window? ... if so, please post 'em here :)

17. Those are from 1951.

Here is some more from George Zaft who owned the chassis pictured. At the '51 Bonneville meet it ran 142mph.

[​IMG]

Nick Matranga Merc.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

1951 Bonneville
    [​IMG]

George's roadster is pictured in Hot Rod Magazine in their coverage of the '51 nationals.
    [​IMG]

I bought a few mags off George back in '05
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

George's Cousin Fred Zaft owned the channelled 5w which was featured in the Dec. '51 HRM and again in I believe May '53 HRM.

The sectioned '32 5w was featured in Hop Up and is still around but is a American Graffiti clone.

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

While in Korea at that time---Used to eat up all the info on cars!! Thanks for the post!!!!-------Don

19. junquewerkz

junquewerkz

Here (hopefully) are a few of a local car that was in the show in 1952 (for sure) and either 1951 (my guess) or perhaps 1953. I've guessed 1951 as the sign in that photo is more crude. You can see subtle changes in the car and its display. I own the flathead out of this car; it was pulled by the dad (pictured) when the son was in Korea and replaced with a Rocket V-8 as his homecoming present.

As you can see in the last pic, the car is still on the road, owned by the pictured man's grandson, albeit in a little different style.

Attached Files:

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Yeah, I thought so too, that's at least what has been written about it before. But I can't see it listed in the souvenir program.... anyone know why. Wasn't the car at the show??

21. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Aha, I looked over again and saw that some pages were missing, just like the text said also :) So that's why then... it would have been cool to see those missing pages too

22. @Jimmy B - Wow, what a small world! ... in the early '80s, I joined an O/T car club ... both George & Fred Zaft were members (George was the editor of the club newsletter) ... and in all these years I never made the connection that the Zafts had been Hot Rodders in late '40s & early '50s ... thanks for posting this info and the pics!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  23. Irish

Irish

Thanks for the cool pictures! ts3x65mph nice avatar!

24. I was looking through my father's old photo albums from his days in the Navy ... and stumbled across a cool B&W print ... He was stationed at NAS Alameda in 1957, so I'm almost positive he shot this photograph @ the '57 National Roadster Show:

National Roadster Show 1957.jpg

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  25. Where's all the rusty patina cars?:rolleyes:

26. Harms Way

Harms Way

The guys with all the tattoos brought them,....:D

27. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, and the primered rat rods??:D

28. 41PICUP

41PICUP

Some early Oakland Roadster Show pictures from the Elmwood Auto Club scrap book.

Attached Files:

29. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

What litterbugs people were.

30. @41PICUP - Cool Pics ... if all 3 were taken the same year, then more than likely it was at the '53 National Roadster Show ... as the first pic is Dick Williams' 1953 AMBR winning 1927 T Model Ford Roadster.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014