Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT Do you ever work on your neighbor's stuff?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RugBlaster, Sep 8, 2009.

1. RugBlaster

RugBlaster

I have this neighborhood kid who hangs around and watches me do stuff, so the other day he shows up with a new bike. He wants me to alter the handle bars, make them more like beach cruiser type....he took pictures with his cell phone.

The next thing I know his Mom comes over and starts yelling at me about screwing his new bike up! All this after the kid wanted me to do it. I made the kid give me the photos.

She wanted me to go to the bike shop and order another set of handle bars. I told her I wouldn't do it. She then tells me "You will, one way or the other."

I said, "I'm not sure what you mean by that since your husband is out of town." She really got pissed then.

So now I'm waiting for her husband to get home and we'll take it from there.

Some of the crap you get into, I tell ya.

Attached Files:

2. LarzBahrs

LarzBahrs
    from Sacramento

"One way or another", my ass! What the hell is she going to do? Send her husband over to attempt to kick your ass over a pair of bike handlebars! HaHaHaHa

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

"one way or another", sounds like an offer to me...............

4. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Thats cool of you to help the fellow. Before ya know it he'll be helping you more and more and then he'll come over to the dark side.
    I cant believe parents nowadays...
    My sons paid for their disobedience...
    Never did I blame other adults, parents or the law officials....

5. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I would work on my neighbors' stuff but everyone is too law suit happy these days and if something goes wrong with it after I work on it, I would be at fault whether I did it or not. So no, I don't touch my neighbors stuff. If they are grown men and know a thing or two and need a little help I will help. His dad will probably come home, see it, and will either want you to pay for handlebars or hill say that they look cool. Besides, if the kid likes 'em then that is all that should matter right? But it doesn't always work out that way.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  6. When he comes over give him a bill... Custom work ain't cheap there Gold chainer!!!

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

How old is this kid.

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.........Plus babysitting fee.:D

9. layin_frame_56

layin_frame_56
    from Ohio

She sounds like a real ungrateful B%@*H Bars look a hell of alot better GOOD JOB

10. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Good point, it may be the kids bike, but the parents might not appreciate mods to a brand new bike or a new bike to the kid, without consulting them first. Looks improved by the way.:cool:

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Truthfully I dont think she noticed the custom work . She probably thinks you just grinded the bars. Women are all about looks .If you painted them you would of got away with it.

12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Who's idea was it??????
    I dont care how old he is...
    Parents need to make the kids responsible for their actions....

13. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

"One way or another?!" No good deed goes unpunished!
    You WILL show respect!
    Haa haa

14. 50stude p/u

50stude p/u

They look better now. Its not like you did a botched job or anything. She is probably just pissed cuz you are a "bad influence" on her kid.

I don't work on neighbors stuff but I changed the oil for my friend. two things from that experience,
    #1 Why the hell does a 4 wheel drive SUV have an automatic transaxle up front?
    #2 On an automatic transaxle, the transmission pan looks like the oil pan. Dont drain the ATF. :rolleyes:

15. budd

budd

you may get a thumbs up from the dad. he might ask you if he owes you anything? did you mark her flip out down on your calender?

16. Big Pete

Big Pete

You planted the seed and paid it forward. Wait till kid rides bike around, friends ooh and aah that he has something they can't buy. Plus he'll know someone who can make something who isn't chinese.
    If his parents keep it up, you have taught him to pick a good wife, apparantly something his father won't be able to do.......

17. madpiper

madpiper

as i have learned " A Good Deed Never Goes Unpunished ".

18. RodStRace

RodStRace

Did a neighbor's fiancee, bent her legs just like those.... but that's not what you're talking about.

19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say stretch the frame and rake it out a bit. maybe extend the forks some while your at it.

20. I see a handlebar purchase in your immediate future.

21. bryan6902

bryan6902

That's what he wanted, right? I think they look good and in fact in my eyes it looks like an improved riding position, not so hunched over. Too bad you couldn't have hidden all those un-sightly control cables inside the bars while you were at it!! With neighbors my rule is all advice is free but when my hands get dirty or tools are in use payback is in order. Payback can be a returned favor, sweet, sweet cash or a frosty beverage-- no refunds or checks please!

22. I thought you were talking about something else too! :) You just have to be careful and make sure the hubby is REALLY out of town.

23. phoenix5x

phoenix5x
    from Ohio

ROFLMAO!!! I agree charge her!

24. Well, legally what do you have? Kid's not old enough to enter into a contract with you. But you didn't charge him? Or did you? I dunno. It's not like you sold him drugs or something. Even if he did pay you it's not much different than if the kid goes to the store and buys himself a can of soda, it's kind of hard for mom to demand the kid's money back.

So I don't know, if they think they want to sue, tell 'em to invite you to Judge Judy or whatever and enjoy the vacation while they make asses of themselves on TV.

25. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

You should teach the kid how to weld and modify his own bike. Then maybe the kid won't grow up to be a giant vagina like so many guys my age are who have no idea how to use a screwdriver.

My neighbor owns a landscaping company. I told him if he ever needed anything welded to bring it over instead of having to pay someone. The deck on one of his mowers rotted and we fixed it right up. It's amazing how one simple act has gone such a long way in establishing a good relationship with my neighbors. They've never called the police on me and vice versa. Mutual respect prevails and everybody lives in harmony.

26. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

I second this

27. I learned that the hard way last week ended up in handcuffs and no it wasn't for fun with a large breasted hottie. It was a local sheriff, new rule no one rides in my car!!!!!!!!!!!

28. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

hmm...tough one man. good luck with all of that.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Remember the Alamo? Oh yeah..."This jerk ain't here now, and when he gets here..."

If that Alamo had a back door, there'd be No Texas today.

30. keep us posted on this, can't wait to see the pic's of the kid mowing your lawn.