Register now to get rid of these ads!

found a '62 Fairlane 500 for $400

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vin-tin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

I found this car for sale today not far from my house. A brother to the guy who owns it is selling it. His brother got this car years ago and lost interest in it. The seller said he knows nothing about cars and wants it gone to gain garage space. Even though the car looks pretty bad, he said most everything for it is there. (windows, hood, door, fender, trunk,seats, lights, radiator, etc... some seen in photos, the car and trunk are full of parts.) He has the engine and trans. That runs, but out of the car. It has no title though. He said he'd take $400.00 for it, he just wants it gone. So what you guys think.

Attached Files:

2. Kirsten

Kirsten

I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I had a 63 and a 65 and loved them both. The title will cost ya but only a couple hundred, still pretty cheap for a cool car.
    Good luck.
    :)

3. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

That's a 63 fairlane hardtop ! Much better looking than a 62 IMHO. That a great deal !

4. havi

havi

Nice find! I have a couple project '62's myself. But the hardtop is more desireable indeed.

5. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

I LOVE, and have owned a few Fairlane's of the '63/'64 vintage...I, PERSONALLY, like the H/T's better, but your "Thunderbolt" guys will snub their noses at 'em....
    I LOVE the drag car/Super Stock look on them, thats their heritage....
    I think they are a bit small for a Custom, but they DO look o.k. w/ pinner whites, etc...'60's style...
    I REALLY miss my '64 Sport Coupe....
    Price is about right, I guess...I don't know, when I was into these cars, you could'nt give 'em away, so I remember them being next to nothing to buy running/driving.
    They got a bit on the desirable side, now, but, still pretty affordable little cars.
    Check out the rear frame area...and the boxes where the frame is joined, they rot pretty good.
    Front bumper, as I remember, was a bit pricey on my '64, but, '63 is different, not sure there...does it have them?

6. havi

havi

And to compare price, I got my '62 Meteor 3 years ago for $350, wo/title but everything else was there. And the '62 Fairlane wo/engine and trans but has title for $600 last year. Both need floors. So yeah, overall, prices on these are still within reason, IMO. And a hardtop for $400 looks like a good deal.

7. triplexkustoms

triplexkustoms

If you don't want it I'll take it. Where is located?

8. heavytlc

heavytlc

Yeah 1963 hardtop. My best friend and I drove my 1963 hardtop 2300+- miles round trip to the hamb drags. Great car, rides nice, easy to work on, cheap as far as old cars go. 5-7k is the going rate for a good driver that needs some details worked on. Just depends on what you want to do. You can never pay too little for a project, nice drivers are worth every dime. I have a 2 post lift, and lots of shop space and I try not to buy projects. At some point your free time is worth something.

9. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I forgot to mention, I have a 63 sport coupe that I bought in '91 in San Diego. I went out to CA looking for a car to buy. Within 1 hour of landing, saw the car on the street and asked the owner if he wanted to sell it. He did. A 260/4 speed, bucket seat, console, with factory air, and zero rust. I gave him the $900 he was asking :)

Doug

Attached Files:

10. Its almost worth that for scrap around here. I'd say nearly any 60's car that complete would be a good deal for $400 especially if its a mid size 2 door hard top 63 Ford Fairlane! I'd buy it for that....I mean if I was you...don't tell me where it is..!

11. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

Yea, i figured it was worth that much for scrap also. I'm not really interested in it for myself to fix up, i just thought maybe i could flip it and make a few hundred. If it was all together, with a title, i wouldn't think twice about it. It would be sitting in my driveway. The way it is...all apart and no title, i'm not sure i could flip it too easily. What engines were in those originally?

12. You're paying about double scrap the last I checked the price, but at that amount it shouldn't be too hard to sell some parts from it and recoup your investment should you get caught short down the road. What hoops you need to hop through for a PA title may be another story, though.

Would imagine like most Fords that era the base motor was an inline six, most people sprung for the small V8 (260 or 289 at that point), but you could get a bigger V8 if you wanted, too.

13. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

On the money, but for the bigger V-8.
    Only Dearborn Steel Tubing could have done that for you back then...
    Try stuffing even a 351W in there...I just LOVED my "Changing-the-plugs" Sunday's, and I had a 289!!!....You had to pop out a small fortune for headers, back then, too, since it was basically Hooker's or manifold's....
    I think that some other folks are making them now, though.

14. Vin-tin

Vin-tin

The guy thought it had a 260 in it, but wasn't sure. The first step in getting a title is to call the Pa Dept. of transportation to find out if they have a record of the vin# and who it's titled to. Then find that person and 'kindly" ask them to transfer the title. If they refuse, your screwed. If the DOP doesn't have record of it, then you can just apply for one through any one of the many title agencies. I did that years ago when I got my "A" pickup. It does cost a few hundred though. Depeding on what vehicle it's for, it's worth it.

15. texag09

texag09

Love those cars its deff. a 63 I have a 64 almost the same minus the fins.
    For refferance here is my 62 and then the 64.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. I would definatly pay that. And that red '64 is total bad ass.

17. vertible59

vertible59

There was no 2-dr hardtop '62 Fairlane. Those were some of the best built and trouble free cars built in that era, and were gas sippers too. I guess that's why there a lot of them still around.

18. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

They came with a 170, but most commonly had a 221 or 260 V8 or if you were lucky a 289.

Doug

19. Not a hardtop, but a friend's 2 dr.

Attached Files:

20. Sir Woosh

Sir Woosh

Here's part of one. This was at the Western MD. round up.

Attached Files:

21. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

AHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! I thought this was a fate only reserved for tri-year Chevy's!!!!
    Wow.....:eek:

Damn...more East Coast weirdness....

22. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

$ 400 bucks....What are you waiting for. The 62-65 Lanes are pretty much all the same underneath . A Healthy 302/289 would fit great. Ck Crites.com fore upgrades

23. havi

havi

Right, and mine are Posts.

24. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

Buy it!

Hard to tell in the photo, but that looks like a 221 V8 emblem on the front fender. It's a Fairlane 500 hardtop. Engine code (5th digit of the VIN) would be an "L" if it is a 221. "F" if it is a 260.

BTW, the only version of the 289 available in Fairlanes in 1963 was the 289 HiPo ("K" engine code).

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009