Register now to get rid of these ads!

kids dragracing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by american opel, Sep 6, 2009.

1. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

does anyone know what age kids have to be to race?my 11 year old love to go racing with me and has wanted to build a car for a couple years now!he doesnt want a jr dragster{he is also 5ft 148lbs}i have an old mustang that i could build on the cheep.of corse i would put a throttle stop on it till he gets use to it.any info would be cool.i live in ohio buy thompson dragway and am going there next weekend for the nastalgia drags so if no one knows i will ask larry.

2. oj

oj

I'm thinking you have to have a drivers' license

3. nite-flyer

nite-flyer

Most tracks use NHRA rules and regs as far as safety, I tried without success to find my rule book. You could check with NHRA.com but they are usually slow in answering. Why don't you chec with the local track you want to run.Good racing.

4. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

they never ask to see a licence.

5. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

That doesnt mean its legal.

Build him a jr and have fun.

The idea of an 11 year old running a car at the dragstrip has lawsuit written all over it. Also if the sanctioning body/insurance company finds out you could be responsible for getting their coverage cancelled.

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yeah i tryed to find out online with no answers.and i will aks the track friday.im hopeing that he can do some by runs.he has a whole list and drawings of the car.{cage chassie engine trans carbs intake}he has been saving all of his money to build a dragcar for about 3 years.$1200.00}i know thats not alot of money but the cage he wants is about $300.the motor and trans {351w c6}is in a van that i got about 2 years ago.i just think-now that it will be a great time building and racing with him.{how many kids save there money for a dragcar insted of ipods xboxs etc?}

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i would deff. not lie to the track!!!he tryed to get into a jr drag.thisyear and didnt like it.if he has to wait than thats just more money he will have saved.the only thing is that he doesnt want to wait to start building it and i dont want it done for 5 years before he can race it.

8. My NHRA rule book - an older one - states that a valid competition license is required.

Fairly sure that's for the faster classes.
    For slower classes a regular license is inferred, but I didn't see it.
    Didn't spend a lot of time searching either.

We have some NHRA people on here and I'm sure you could get an answer from them and if not you still have to pass muster at the track.

Most tracks have an age minimum for people in the staging lanes.
    Famoso (Bakersfield) had a 16 year old minimum a few years back.
    Worked out ok for 11 year old grandson, we stuck him in the tow car and he had a good view of things, especially so when at the wait line while our car was running.

Not many get to see a fueler run from that close up.

Another aspect you want to think about if he was able to drive at 11 years old, he doesn't have any real experience in handling the car and may not have the right reactions when things get sideways or worse on the track as well as driving through the pits to the staging lanes where many pedestrians are present.

It's not going to hurt to build a car over a five year period.
    Time will turn out a good product.

I'd be inclined to build the car with a modest engine that would put the car into the 15's or thereabouts.
    That's fast enough to be fun and powerful enough to be a good learning tool.

While that's going on, build the 'serious' engine, enough to make it a ten second car.

Ten second cars are a lot of fun and you can get there easily with today's tires and chassis science.

Let the kid get some on the road driving experience before turning him loose on the track.

9. Phil1934

Phil1934

10. madjack

madjack

My local track is run by a club and I'm on the board of directors. If you came to me and asked that let an 11y.o. run, you would get told that a Jr. is the only option. Our NHRA track sanction states that except for Jr. dragracing league competitors, a valid state drivers licence is required. No Exceptions. I know this sucks, but so does getting sued

11. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's not just your track. He will get the same answer at every public track he goes to. Until he's 16, his only option is to be in a Jr. Dragster league. Otherwise, he waits 5 years.

12. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

he has been driving his 4wheeler and dirtbike since he was 4 years old.he has also been driving my truck and mustang for 2 years{truck off road mustang around the back roads}i have an older son 15 and i wouldnt let him drive my lawnmower.he has also had a 4wheeler since 5years old.im going to talk to thompson this weekend and see if they have a youth race like the one in the ihra book.or maybe just let him make a couple passes on wednesdays during timetrials.one of the reasons i dont want to build it now is because im sure he is going to get bigger in the next couple of years and i dont want to have to change the petals and seat locations.thanks for everyones input.

13. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i guess its not looking good for him.well at least he can still help me push my car through the staging lanes.he loves helping me out with jetchanges{he just did one himself 2 days ago}does anyone know of someone selling a jr drag.?

14. Ole don

Ole don

Sanctioning bodies have rules. Last September I had to show my drivers license to drive the 130 class at Bonneville, I was 66 last year.