Register now to get rid of these ads!

Wake up ! It's time, Sept 2009 Banger meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brjnelson, Sep 1, 2009.

1. Piewagn

Piewagn

Thanks Rich! It didn't make much sense to me......what they were saying.
    I just said.... "Ok, I'll keep that in mind." :rolleyes:

My engine sounds fine!!

2. Rich,

How do the '29-'31 Dodge 4 Cyl engines compare to the Fast Fours?

3. RussTee

RussTee

has any one got any copies or images of old banger equipment advertising i am organiseing a display of bangers here in new zealand [first time as far as i know]next january and would like too repro some banger type advertising logos ie rajo or fronternac in their right colours ect.so far i have around 60 odd speedster or highly modified cars interested comeon guys help me out please

4. A-Wall

A-Wall

Just another vid. God damn i love this thing.

<object width="480" height="385">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dgJpcDiBKmI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></object>

5. brjnelson

brjnelson

Yes Northwood, Jeff, you can watch the racing at 1:30 pm-3 pm for free,

If you pay the $25 : show and tell / swap meet is 8am-9am
    10 am to noon presentations,
    Lunch comes with.
    Only Pre-war 4 bangers can race

There is a large car show also going on downtown, we will be at the Worth county fairgrounds on the north east part of town, we drive through the show, park for a 1/2 hour and then go racing at the airport east of town.

Call Arlen at 641 420-5502
    or Wayne Atkinson 641 324 1835

6. Here's one for you guys, when i push the clutch in on my banger, it starts to make a knocking noise, this has only started happening since yesterday. I can reach back to the pedal when it is running and move it till it firms up and i can see the front pulley move forward a couple of mm's so that means the whole crank it moving forward, does this mean the thrust part of my mains is shot? Give it to me straight fella's..............

7. wayneat

wayneat

Northwood, IA speed meet on the 12th of September. Some of you have mentioned the conflicts on the 12th. Mostly with the conflict with the Greenfield swap meet. Unfortunately we don't have the option of changing the date. It is the Northwood City founders day celebration, and that is the main reason we get the use of the fairgrounds facility and the airport to have our time trial. It is also the annual Aristocrats car show down town. We also have to do this event before corn and soybean harvest as the officials won't let us block the airport road if the farmers are hauling their crops to the elevators. We wish there were not any conflicts, but it just can't be helped. Just come and have a good time with us. Wayne

8. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Show you what I know. I thought that '29 - '31 Dodge engines were all six cylinder. Since by then Dodge was part of Chrysler Corp. you would think they might share the PA engine with Plymouth and Chrysler cars. I have seen a lot of '15 to '27 Dodge fours lately. But have not quite figgered out what they were doing with some of the running changes they made. Some of them look like change just to give the enginers something to do.

9. Piewagn

Piewagn

I think you have your answer there. That's not good news! Good luck with it, and let us know how you make out.

10. May be a long shot, but pull the cover off the the top of the tranny and give the throw out bearing a good greasing. Sounds like thrust, but may just be the bearing going dry.

11. Rich,

So did I... may need to do a little more research (translate as "ask noboD"):D

12. C Yapp's advertising has the head at 6.5 Pirano's has it at 7, C Yapp stated they use different ways to measure? Either compression should be okay if you do not run too much advance. This is assuming you have a "stout" engine to begin with.
    Jay Steel once asked C Yapp if he knew what a "Scalded Dog" sounded like when it went down the road. C Yapp said he didn't and Jay told him it went yap yap yap. Needless to say Mr Yapp failed to see the humor in this.
    Mr Brumfield once wrote that at 7 to 1 the babbit started to move but J Brierley has run much higher than that and has stated, in his opinion, that detonation is what destroys the babbit.
    When we were kids we found that a "tired" engine would not take much constant running at or above 55 MPH with out "shaking" (old term used in the Day) a rod loose but an engine with good babbit and mild tuning could run 55 MPH for extended periods. I use 55 MPH because that was the speed limit then. This would be with a "B" head Wico mag and timed to where it would just not kick back when warmed up There again this would not be too far advanced as the most a Wico had was 12 degrees or less. If you timed it at say 5 degrees static you would have 17 degrees just off idle assuming the impulse was working.

13. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Hi Bill,

I was finally able to get a caliper on my 7:1 Winfield head this morning, it is 2.14" to 2.17" at the head stud bosses. There was also a very nice original 6:1 head laying on the bench, and it measured 2.20". The owner thought it had been skimmed at least once in the past. This makes me hopeful that mine has not really been milled all that much.

Right now I have more questions than ever about how to proceed with the Winfield head - how much piston pop-up do I have, what gasket is the best choice, do I need to relieve around my 1.75" intake valves? And I am still concerned that it might be too much for my bottom end. Guess I will find out soon enough...

BTW, my transmission is fixed and I will be back on the road once I get the brakes bled. Had the front roller bearing on the lower shaft fail - cage was gone and the rollers just fell out, tore up the shaft, the rear roller bearing, and the thrust washer. All else looks fine, hopefully it was just a bad bearing. Crazy for a new roller bearing to fail with less than 2K miles.

Will Kimble

14. noboD

noboD

Mac, the first thing Chrysler did after buying the DBs in '28 was get rid of the four cylinder. Not sure how many were made in '28, I know of one that belongs to a DBC member. It has four wheel mechanical brakes too, only DB I know of. Rich, I'm kind of new to the six cylinder world, I know the early fours much better. I'd like to see several early Chrysler product sixes together somewhere. I don't think any of them were the same, just very similar. Even the '29 DA's six was differant then the other model DB sixes. The DBC is in the process of compriseing the know all-tell all list of running changes from '14 up. They improved and changed parts whenever they were ready for production never waiting for the new model year. And they had overlaps of old AND new parts. It's very possible to have an old part be correct long after the new part was KNOWN to have been introduced. Interesting stuff to us that like trivia. They were always trying to perfect the mousetrap.

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

noboD check PM

16. Piewagn

Piewagn

Great info Bill!! Thanks for taking the time!

17. andyg

andyg

man. i leave for a couple weeks good car events and i've got 10 pages to read on here!

anyone got a distributor machine for sale. i need one for banger dizzies as well as flathead v8 dizzies. thanks

found the cause of the vibration in my engine. eventually ruled out bent rod. it's just over advanced. wow....had no idea they could vibrate that much with pre-detonation. i'm getting closer to figuring it all out!:D

titus jeff...like the idea of a 4 banger power 32 roadster....:D:D:D

18. Thanks Will, I have 1 3/4 valves and have had no clearance problems S O S S just reran the article by Wayne Atkinson where he describes cutting an "A: block and checking the flow characteristics of various lifts and sizes and he seemed to feel the main flow was from under the valve. If you check closely you will see the radius around the back of intake and exhaust are different. I don;t mean the dia. but the radius cast into the head.

19. Thank guys. I will drop the pan and take a look this week.
    Chris I dont think it will be as simple as lubeing the thrust bearing as I can see the front pulley move forward under even a little bit of clutch engaugment.........but thanks for you reply.

i will see if there is a way to 'shim' the sucker and try to stop the forward movement.

20. Piewagn

Piewagn

"Jay Steel once asked C Yapp if he knew what a "Scalded Dog" sounded like when it went down the road. C Yapp said he didn't and Jay told him it went yap yap yap. Needless to say Mr Yapp failed to see the humor in this."

I forgot to tell ya Bill, but this is pretty funny!! C. Yapp does seem kinda tight. I couldn't make him laugh!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

YAP YAP YAP man that is funny :)

22. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Been in a state of "Nearly Finished",... for about two months now, lots of road blocks along the way. Got a few things done since,... a few more to button up, etc. then she's on the road for good.

The heart of the beast is in the beauty of its mechanics.

It's heart and soul does not reside within the thin skin of its shine or polish
    but within its deep belly where oil, fire, petrol and passion resides,...
    Washed in blood, busted knuckles and gut-wrenching longing.
    Reborn machines,
    iron ingots of love and grace.

Does she shine?
    ...as she does, where she does.

Dents, depressions and irregularity.
    They are the decorations affirming her tangible self,
    not made of wild, starry-eyed dreams and large bountiful wallets,
    but born from the womb of generations before us.
    Distilled dreams purified within a small few
    that live life like unto a transposed dream, from the surreal to the real,
    a reverberation of time, felt within the deep reaches of man,
    a small number that reside in a place far from the average, the usual and the common.

It is as it is.

Some see and know the past,...

Some never will.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Just threw some things together for now on the intake to get her fired up,... working on the dual carb setup now.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  23. Great to see the progress Coaltown...

soon you'll be able to get back on your one man T:D!!!

24. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

HA!
    Yeah right??!!

I have something taking a bit of my time recently other than the roadster and the T,... family. I'll get there though,....!!:)

25. No worries- will you be at Hershey?

26. CoalTownKid

CoalTownKid

Well, that all depends on my work schedule,... I sometimes work some bizarre hours in the fall... sometimes not...we'll see. I'll know the closer it gets to Hershey.

How 'bout this,... its an "absolute maybe!" LOL! :D

27. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

[​IMG]

Anyone know this car? It's on page 29 of the Batchelor book. The caption says:

What's up with these Packard wheels? I see them through the book. What years are they from? What are their dimensions? This is close to the best-looking full-fendered A I've ever seen.

Also, what's a Ruckstell Dual High trans? It sounds like a 3 + 1 where 4th is an overdrive? I'm familiar with the Model T axle, but have never heard of the Model A trans.

Sorry for the awful photo.

-Dave

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  28. Tom McIntire's son lives next door to one of my friends and he has his fathers scrap book with many photos from that era. A lot of them have been published in the "lakes" books
    His father and Reg Schlemmer were "partners". They later went into boat racing.

You can search the S O S S archives for information on the Dual High trans.
    If you don't have access pm me.

29. Piewagn

Piewagn

Ah.....me likey!!! Where are you located CTK???? My Borg Warner OD works now, I'm hopin' to make it to the Vargo Dragway Reunion show in Bedminster Pa.. I'm itchin' for a cruise!

30. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Here's a shot of the Manx with 6.00s up front, looks more puposeful to me than it did with the dirt track fronts. The ride and handling are much better, but unfortunately these particular 6.00s are not very round... You can watch them shimmy and hop as they go down the road. I want to keep the car together and on the road for the next two months, so I am not going to worry about them right now. The gearbox is working better than it has in a long time, it had deteriorated quite a bit before it became undrivable.

[​IMG]

Hey Bill, thanks for the info on the 1.75" valves, now I can quit worrying about that! How do those head stud boss measurements compare with yours?

Will Kimble
    www.kimblemandolins.com